Menu

Paying for daughter’s medical school education????

Home Student Loan Management Paying for daughter’s medical school education????

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I am a physician and my daughter will be starting medical school soon. It has always been my intention to pay for her medical school education. In light of the public student loan forgiveness program, it seems to me that a better option would be for her to take out loans and see how things work out. I can always help her with the outstanding loan balance if she does not end up getting her loans forgiven. Am I wrong? If anyone has a different opinion, I would like to hear your reasons why.

Thanks in advance

#219665 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

You could certainly help her borrow less by paying her living expenses.

#219699 Reply
    Participant

Whatever you decide, I’d make the decision around match day. By then she will know her specialty and can start understand what sort of income she can anticipate and how difficult getting a PSLF eligible job will be.

Those loans can really explode during residency if you don’t handle them well :/

#219702 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

i think the kid should take out some debt for grad school. gotta have some skin in the game, builds character and responsiblity. daddy paying for college + med school is kind of lame. just my opinion

FLP

I’ll be the voice of reason:
    Help her with tuition!
    That is all.

q-school q-school 
    Participant

i would just thank god she was smart enough to get in to medical school and for providing the ability to help jumpstart her financial life.

whether you pay some or all, i think the die has already been cast regarding her financial tendencies.  if she has shown imprudence, let her take loans.  if she has shown good judgement, trust her to continue to do so.  i’m not saying buy her a ferrari, just let her have loans.

best of luck!  i hope my kids grow up like yours.

Participant

I’d pay it if I could. I wouldn’t play games with loans – too much uncertainty.

#219711 Reply
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

Good problem to have. I’d pay first two years then give her a Step 1 goal if she wants the last two years paid. JK sorta

Earn everything.

#219713 Reply
    Participant

I am really just trying to look at this from a purely financial perspective. My thought was to mentally set aside enough money to pay off her loans. If she ends up getting her loans forgiven, I will have saved probably a few hundred thousand dollars. The interest accrued on the loans will hopefully be offset by capital gains/dividends from those funds which will be invested. It is pretty hard to ignore the prospect of the government forgiving that much debt. Part of me thinks this seems too good to be true. Most physicians, including me, seem to work for a “non profit” these days. Very interested in seeing how this loan forgiveness program plays out.

#219714 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Have you looked at the fees and rates on graduate school student loans? That interest still accrues during school. Think you can beat that in after tax returns while waiting for her to see where she ends up?

#219718 Reply
    Liked by PhotonsRGR8
    Participant

Sorry if it was mentioned before, but why are the loans going to be forgiven?

#219720 Reply
    Participant

Of all the things my wife and I can do for our children, I can think of few things that will last and have ongoing value than an education.  With that said, it is imperative that you know your child and their interest in attaining a serious education.  I am most willing to pay for a valued education.  I know parents who have allowed their children to take significant student loans, but then the parents pay for an over-the-top wedding.  To each his own.  Loan forgiveness in your situation becomes a very personal decision ~ since you are able & willing to pay.  No judgment here.

#219721 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Do you have enough money? What’s your financial situation? If you have more than enough, then go for it. If you don’t, absolutely not.

#219725 Reply
    Participant

Have you looked at the fees and rates on graduate school student loans? That interest still accrues during school. Think you can beat that in after tax returns while waiting for her to see where she ends up?

Click to expand…

No I do not. I was just making the point that the interest on the loans would hopefully be offset by any CG/dividends. I have no idea by how much. What does interest me greatly is the prospect of 100% of her loans forgiven. I would suspect a majority of physicians work for a non profit entity these days.

#219728 Reply
    Participant

She has to make payments for 10 years, so 100% won’t be forgiven.

#219729 Reply

Reply To: Paying for daughter’s medical school education????

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear