Menu

Paging Dr. Side Hustle Scrubs!

Home The Lounge Paging Dr. Side Hustle Scrubs!

• IntensiveCareBear IntensiveCareBear 
    Spectator

…the hustler himself might spread some light on what happened…

Click to expand…

^Most docs and surgeons can’t do that. You’d probably need a physicist or something… maybe Storm from XMen? I’d pay to see it, though.

…people get busy, get boy/girlfriends, get new hobbies, etc. As was mentioned, with blogs, if it doesn’t make dollars after awhile, it usually doesn’t make sense. Internet can suck up an amazing amount of your time and mental space if you let it. Like most addictions, if you can’t moderate it, it’s usually best to quit altogether. Good for him for putting an end to it and hopefully focusing on bigger priorities. Nobody wants to end up old and looking for the glory days they never had.

"Hmm, that sounds risky." - motto of the middle class

#222609 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Part of the problem is that it looks easier than it is. Your view is biased because you see the success stories. You don’t see all the failures. You read the blogs that have made it because you never found out about the ones that didn’t/won’t. As far as being a successful professional blogger there are three tasks:

1. Create
    2. Promote
    3. Monetize

If you can’t do all three well, you fail. 2 of the 3 isn’t enough, much less 1 of the 3. Are you really going to pour in the time it takes to make really great content for years if it isn’t paying you squat? Probably not. And it certainly isn’t going to pay anything if no one ever reads it. Maybe you do it for a few months or a year or two but then you start looking at that day job that pays $150/hour and thinking maybe that’s a better place to spend your “side hustle time.”

Click to expand…

I am not going to argue with you.  You obviously know the business better then me and probably everyone else on the planet.  I cannot imagine the work you poured into this site to get it where it is today. Especially before you knew it was taking off.  I guess not too many people can keep that up for so long.

4. I truly hope this absence is not because of illness or other serious real life problems.  If so I just want to offer my well wishings.

Click to expand…

I enjoyed his blog, too.  Unfortunately my (limited) experience has been that when someone deleted a blog completely (as opposed to a deleting a single post, or simply no longer posting to it), it’s usually a sign of trouble (often of the legal kind).

I sincerely hope I am wrong!

Click to expand…

I did not think about legal.  If that is the case SHS is probably cursing me right now for digging. (Sorry SHS if this is the case!) He did say it as it is.  Where I found that refreshing and admired him for it the rest of the internet is another story.  When you are small and do not have much of a following you can get away with a lot.    Maybe his post on WCI brought some unwelcome attention to his site.

I agree that’s much more likely than tragedy, as the blog posts are usually the last thing that’s considered when someone is dealing with severe illness or death.

Or maybe this is a really creative way to generate interest and @lordosis is his silent partner!!!

Click to expand…

Just a fan of his work 😉

If he comes back and makes it big because of this I will ask for a cut!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#222616 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

4. I truly hope this absence is not because of illness or other serious real life problems.  If so I just want to offer my well wishings.

Click to expand…

I enjoyed his blog, too.  Unfortunately my (limited) experience has been that when someone deleted a blog completely (as opposed to a deleting a single post, or simply no longer posting to it), it’s usually a sign of trouble (often of the legal kind).

Click to expand…

I was thinking that, too, or perhaps his employer or Hospital took exception to some of the content. Like I said, I hope he is well and would love to see him back blogging, or at the very least, here on the forum or on Twitter.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#222617 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I was thinking that, too, or perhaps his employer or Hospital took exception to some of the content. Like I said, I hope he is well and would love to see him back blogging, or at the very least, here on the forum or on Twitter.

Click to expand…

I share a similar concern.  Between the WCI guest post and his site’s last entry about a challenging patient, PT Barnum might have made an exception to the “no such thing as bad publicity” comment.

Maybe in a decade or two, we’ll know the full story.  In the interim, it is an interesting thing to ponder, in terms of free speech, cold turkey from the internet, anonymity or lack thereof on the web, lasting footprint in cyberspace, etc.

#222631 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

There’s still some of his content here so it wasn’t a total scrub.  If it was, he’d have likely asked the owner to pull the content and “most” are willing to do so.  I noticed he was on the free wordpress domain.  Maybe he pulled it all down to relaunch on his own domain?

#222683 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I have regretted posting some personal details here because I know I’ve probably made myself identifiable to some posters.  It has kept me from asking for advice on some things or posting some information that I otherwise would if I felt I were totally anonymous.  Word to the wise for the noobs on this site.

I’ve also scrubbed myself off of social media for the most part.  Sometimes I’m tempted to go back on the book of faces just because I hear of gatherings that get posted there but I just can’t make myself submit to the Zuckerberg privacy destruction machine again.

Finally I’ve considered making a non-monetized blog so that it’s easier to chronicle some changes I’m making in my life and financial journey (a little bit similar to hatton1’s blog, and something I’m not ready to post about in detail here) in place of group emails to friends/family, but I am too private to put anything out there for the rest of the world.

I wouldn’t mind going back to the 1990’s, not only to be 20 years younger.

jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    It has kept me from asking for advice on some things or posting some information that I otherwise would if I felt I were totally anonymous.  Word to the wise for the noobs on this site.

Click to expand…

You can always ask one of the mods to post for you anonymously. I recently did for a forum member and I think it was pretty helpful for him/her.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#222979 Reply
    Participant

SHS certainly had a gift of writing that served a personal need as well as publishing a blog. Thanks for the link to KevinMD articles.

1) “I’ve been waiting for you to be ready to talk about it.” That was her polite way of saying: “If you keep me up one more night, I’m going to smother you with this pillow.” His desire to write introspective thoughts may have run into math of diminishing returns from a personal standpoint.
    2) Side gigs can lead to better opportunities. The Internet presence could be detrimental.

Mostly I would like to thank all of the physicians for sharing the personal aspects of a physician’s life and how it is so unique. Thank you.

#223004 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I’d say legal issues are much less likely. I’d speculate one of two things happened:

# 1 Employer found out and didn’t like it or SHS was worried the employer would not.
    # 2 SHS became concerned about privacy and decided it wasn’t worth it.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#223340 Reply
    Participant

I communicated with him after the vanishing act. His brief explanation was that as his blog succeeded it required more time, such that virtual life was detracting from actual life (recall he had little kids). He did not allude to trouble, simply to a reallocation of time consistent with priorities. I am not alone in missing his voice, and hope our paths cross again when he reestablishes equilibrium.

wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Glad to hear that it may have been a time/lifestyle issue as opposed to something else.

#235840 Reply
    Liked by artemis, Tim
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Much better then job or legal issues!

#235844 Reply
    Liked by artemis, Tim
    Participant

I don’t think it’s much of a mystery. He was Dr Side Hustle. He found that blogging wasn’t as profitable as he imagined and another side hustle took its place.

#236005 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Participant

Crispy Doc, that’s a relief to hear!  Thanks for letting us know.

#236077 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

The only thing that doesn’t make sense is why did the site come down rather then live forever on the interwebs. Someone asked about a utilization review side hustle which I know shs wrote about in the past but the posts are all gone.

#236139 Reply

Reply To: Paging Dr. Side Hustle Scrubs!

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear