Menu

Paging Dr. Side Hustle Scrubs!

Home The Lounge Paging Dr. Side Hustle Scrubs!

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I though this deserved its own thread.

On the other thread we were discussing getting letters after your name to help move higher up the executive ladder.  I remembered a SHS post describing how to do just that.  I went to link it and found that the SHS site is down.  A few others chimed in but I hate to hijack the thread so I figured I would move us over here.

I discovered SHS after he posted on WCI about burnout.  He got a lot of flack in the comments for that post.  I for one liked his upbeat and positive attitude towards medicine and went to check out his site.  What a hidden gem it was!  I ended up going back and reading basically every post.  Signed up for the updates and he never posted again.  Now the site is totally gone.  I am kind of bummed.

Anyways I was hoping to accomplish a couple of things.

1. Maybe the hustler himself might spread some light on what happened.

2. Confirm that I was not the only one reading his posts.  Did others know and enjoy the blog?

3. Does anyone know how to retrieve some of those now deleted posts?  Seriously the one he did on allergies was pure gold!  I was fond of the Dr Seuss one as well.

4. I truly hope this absence is not because of illness or other serious real life problems.  If so I just want to offer my well wishings.

As always I would appreciate any comments/opinions/questions.

Thanks everyone!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#222287 Reply
    Liked by Tim, hatton1, billy, CM

He is a user here, you could simply message him

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#222291 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

He is a user here, you could simply message him

Click to expand…

Agreed. However, it appears he intended to disappear. The blog material belongs to him, unfortunately, so he was free to delete. I, too, had used his blog for reference material and had even sent links to clients. Since WCI featured him, he would have direct access. Perhaps a request for him to email to see if he wants to share what happened? This is unusual, I agree, for a nascent, successful writer to delete his material. XRAYVSN also featured him, I’ll ask him, too. He’s not a reader here any more.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#222310 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I really enjoyed his content and his style. I was counting on his McMansion article being there for me if my wife ever decides she wants one!

Is it paranoid if this makes me want to backup every WCI article and forum thread ever written?

#222327 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Get used to it. At least 20-30 physician financial blogs have disappeared/gone incommunicado over the years I’ve been doing this. Blogs are usually fairly fleeting things, especially if they’re not making any money.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#222328 Reply
    Keymaster

I really enjoyed his content and his style. I was counting on his McMansion article being there for me if my wife ever decides she wants one!

Is it paranoid if this makes me want to backup every WCI article and forum thread ever written?

Click to expand…

The other option is the way back machine.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#222329 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I too thought he was funny.  I hope he communicates again.  A lot of frequent posters seem to disappear.

#222330 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Anne
    Participant

I though this deserved its own thread.

On the other thread we were discussing getting letters after your name to help move higher up the executive ladder.  I remembered a SHS post describing how to do just that.  I went to link it and found that the SHS site is down.  A few others chimed in but I hate to hijack the thread so I figured I would move us over here.

I discovered SHS after he posted on WCI about burnout.  He got a lot of flack in the comments for that post.  I for one liked his upbeat and positive attitude towards medicine and went to check out his site.  What a hidden gem it was!  I ended up going back and reading basically every post.  Signed up for the updates and he never posted again.  Now the site is totally gone.  I am kind of bummed.

Anyways I was hoping to accomplish a couple of things.

1. Maybe the hustler himself might spread some light on what happened.

2. Confirm that I was not the only one reading his posts.  Did others know and enjoy the blog?

3. Does anyone know how to retrieve some of those now deleted posts?  Seriously the one he did on allergies was pure gold!  I was fond of the Dr Seuss one as well.

4. I truly hope this absence is not because of illness or other serious real life problems.  If so I just want to offer my well wishings.

As always I would appreciate any comments/opinions/questions.

Thanks everyone!

Click to expand…

I agree SHS is a fun and refreshing web site.

#222342 Reply
    Liked by wonka31, Lordosis
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Yes, I miss @SHS, too.

Very funny and thoughtful guy. I hope he is well.

He does not need a blog to continue to interact here, on Twitter, or elsewhere in the blogosphere. Believe me, I know!

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#222345 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Lordosis
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Liked him too. What was weird wasn’t that the blog stopped, that happens all the time, it was that he fell of the face of the Internet. I PM’d him a few times when he was doing the blog, seems like a really good guy.

#222424 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Liked him too. What was weird wasn’t that the blog stopped, that happens all the time, it was that he fell of the face of the Internet. I PM’d him a few times when he was doing the blog, seems like a really good guy.

Click to expand…

That is what strikes me as odd too.  As WCI said above blogs disappear all the time but SHS went from posting regularly to complete silence.

I am also surprised because his content was good.  Then again it does not matter how good you are if no one knows of you.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#222514 Reply
    Liked by wonka31
    Keymaster

Click to expand…

That is what strikes me as odd too.  As WCI said above blogs disappear all the time but SHS went from posting regularly to complete silence.

I am also surprised because his content was good.  Then again it does not matter how good you are if no one knows of you.

Click to expand…

Part of the problem is that it looks easier than it is. Your view is biased because you see the success stories. You don’t see all the failures. You read the blogs that have made it because you never found out about the ones that didn’t/won’t. As far as being a successful professional blogger there are three tasks:

1. Create
    2. Promote
    3. Monetize

If you can’t do all three well, you fail. 2 of the 3 isn’t enough, much less 1 of the 3. Are you really going to pour in the time it takes to make really great content for years if it isn’t paying you squat? Probably not. And it certainly isn’t going to pay anything if no one ever reads it. Maybe you do it for a few months or a year or two but then you start looking at that day job that pays $150/hour and thinking maybe that’s a better place to spend your “side hustle time.”

Participant
    That is what strikes me as odd too. As WCI said above blogs disappear all the time but SHS went from posting regularly to complete silence. I am also surprised because his content was good. Then again it does not matter how good you are if no one knows of you.

Click to expand…

What struck me as odd is that he took down the entire content of the blog from WordPress. People usually leave the blog alone and post intermittently to it even if it does not attract too much traffic, since the monthly costs for web hosting are quite cheap. Especially for a physician.

#222596 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

I enjoyed his blog, too.  Unfortunately my (limited) experience has been that when someone deleted a blog completely (as opposed to a deleting a single post, or simply no longer posting to it), it’s usually a sign of trouble (often of the legal kind).

I sincerely hope I am wrong!

#222600 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Click to expand…

I enjoyed his blog, too.  Unfortunately my (limited) experience has been that when someone deleted a blog completely (as opposed to a deleting a single post, or simply no longer posting to it), it’s usually a sign of trouble (often of the legal kind).

I sincerely hope I am wrong!

Click to expand…

I agree that’s much more likely than tragedy, as the blog posts are usually the last thing that’s considered when someone is dealing with severe illness or death.

Or maybe this is a really creative way to generate interest and @lordosis is his silent partner!!!😎🤷‍♀️

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#222604 Reply

Reply To: Paging Dr. Side Hustle Scrubs!

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear