Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

*Official student loan pay off thread*

Home Student Loan Management *Official student loan pay off thread*

Participant
    Status: Physician, Other Professional, Small Business Owner
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Paid off the last $5000 of $200,000 today.

CordMcNally CordMcNally
    Participant

Click to expand…

Congratulations! Make sure you celebrate such a great accomplishment!

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#138898 Reply
    Liked by Firefly, adventure
    Participant

Click to expand…

Great job, what was the time frame?

#138899 Reply
    Participant
    Status: Physician, Other Professional, Small Business Owner

Thank you!

2008-June 2017: $50k

June 2017-present: $150k

#138911 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor
    Keymaster

Thank you!

2008-June 2017: $50k

June 2017-present: $150k

Click to expand…

Amazing what happens with some focus eh?

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#138962 Reply
    Participant

Finally did it.

Graduated fellowship 2 years ago with 110k in student loans.  I refinanced in fellowship to a variable rate from 6.8 to like 4 or something.  My contract included  1250 a month to student loans for 2 years, provided there was still a student loan balance.  Well, their final payment went through this month so i finished the job and sent them 11k.

done and done

Participant

Finally did it.

Graduated fellowship 2 years ago with 110k in student loans.  I refinanced in fellowship to a variable rate from 6.8 to like 4 or something.  My contract included  1250 a month to student loans for 2 years, provided there was still a student loan balance.  Well, their final payment went through this month so i finished the job and sent them 11k.

done and done

Click to expand…

Its nice when a plan comes together and is carried out to completion, congrats!

#142361 Reply
    Participant

This is my favorite thread.  Great work to all.  Keep the success stories coming!

#142395 Reply
    Participant

Strong work! Can’t wait to be in your position in 6 months!

#142421 Reply
    Participant

@handfellow: job well done . I’m looking forward to adding my name to this list in a year or so

#142432 Reply
    DMFA DMFA

…will this help my credit score by keeping the average age of open accounts longer, or should I just pay that last dollar on each and let the 12-16 year-old accounts close?  BTW those rates were literally 1.9% a year or so ago, which is the last time I logged into Navient.

"I like money." - Frito Pendejo (Idiocracy)

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#142649 Reply
    Participant

…will this help my credit score by keeping the average age of open accounts longer, or should I just pay that last dollar on each and let the 12-16 year-old accounts close?  BTW those rates were literally 1.9% a year or so ago, which is the last time I logged into Navient.

Click to expand…

I don’t think my credit score changed at all when I finished off my student loans. Not as long of a history. Are you planning to use your credit score for something?

Just pay them off.

Get outside of your bubble.

#142651 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally
    Participant

Click to expand…

I don’t know if the duration of an installment plan has any affect on your credit score or not. Either way, not enough to make a big difference.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#143006 Reply
    DMFA DMFA

Yeah, I think installment debt might be excepted from the “age of accounts” calculation.  At any rate, I owe $7.  I’ll just skip my next lunch and pay it.  I just thought it’d be a funny screenshot tbh.

"I like money." - Frito Pendejo (Idiocracy)

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#143028 Reply
    Participant

Finished Med School in 2013 with ~$200k in student loans

Finished Fellowship June 2018

Started Attending Job August 2018

TODAY IS THE DAY. Payments submitted just waiting for them to officially clear. No debt except the mortgage. It feels good. Could not have done it without my wife (pharmacist)!

Reply To: *Official student loan pay off thread*

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear