Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

NYT: Total knee arthroplasty in Mexico

Home General/Welcome NYT: Total knee arthroplasty in Mexico

Participant

Working an ER in Texas I can tell you that plenty of people go to Mexico for cheap procedures and end up getting screwed. Sure there are top notch programs with good doctors and support staff..but there are plenty of outfits that do bariatric procedures, cosmetic procedures that just dump septic patients across the border when they screw it up. Some of them just load the patients up with steroids for a few days to make sure they feel good and then send them home. I am not a fan of traveling for procedures. You have virtually no recourse if something goes wrong.

Get outside of your bubble.

#242627 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod
    Participant

Working an ER in Texas I can tell you that plenty of people go to Mexico for cheap procedures and end up getting screwed. Sure there are top notch programs with good doctors and support staff..but there are plenty of outfits that do bariatric procedures, cosmetic procedures that just dump septic patients across the border when they screw it up. Some of them just load the patients up with steroids for a few days to make sure they feel good and then send them home. I am not a fan of traveling for procedures. You have virtually no recourse if something goes wrong.

Click to expand…

Absolutely. Its just plain dumb from a risk management perspective. Having worked in both TX/CA I saw a lot, especially since many of the procedures people like to attempt to cheap out on are cosmetic, but oddly enough, add in the travel and the expenses are sometimes more than here in the US, so nuts.

I think there are many talented surgeons in many countries, but everyone has complications, and being hours by plane away from your surgeon or anyone that did it is not a good thing. I always discouraged people that traveled from afar, even just in the states. Its annoying and not worthwhile. Too many good doctors wherever they lived.

Also its not like its some replaceable thing people are messing with, I will buy something I know is inferior quality if I think I might get a decent use life out of it and its replacement several times over is still cheap. Your body/life are not that way, these things are permanent and can maim or kill them. So stupid. Dont walmart your surgeries, though one day that will likely be a thing.

#242679 Reply
    Participant

By same token I’m not sure it’s worth it to fly to Hopkins to get a knee replacement. These high volume relatively low level cases don’t need to be done at ivories and many people would argue that community peolle who do hundreds would be better ( Ortho might be an exception becsuse even academic ortho guys who do joints seems to do very high volume)

But if you’re asking me if I want a lap chole at ivory or community guy who does a million a year? In my experience I’ll pick the community guy.

If it’s an ortho onc thing? Yes go to ivory tower, but IMO there are levels of complexity to things and the ivories don’t necessary do everything best. It also seems like primary care is not done well by a lot of ivory institutions.

#242682 Reply
    Participant

Also flying to Hopkins is not much different than Mexico imo, probably(maybe?) cleaner but same issue of not being near your surgeon and whoever is local is going to be annoyed they are managing somebody else’s complication if anything happens

#242684 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc, ACN, Zaphod
    Participant
    I’m an arthroplasty surgeon in Mississippi. She has plenty of solid local options, some of which that are 20 minutes from her house.

Click to expand…

I agree with a lot of what you said in your post, but these two parts seems quite contradictory:

Complications happen in the best of hands and many are greater than 10 days after surgery.

Click to expand…
    I have taken care of several patients who had complications after flying to “the best”. It then implies that you are not.

Click to expand…

#242700 Reply
    Participant

I had a patient awhile back that came in for sole purpose of establishing relationship so I could care for her after her already scheduled surgery several hours away, set up by her employer. Told her I’d be happy to do as good of a job for the same price, but I’m not a PA, and I won’t be seeing someone else’s postops unless there is a darn good reason. Wished her luck and haven’t seen her since.

#242821 Reply
    Participant
    #242823 Reply
    Participant

Perfect example why we shouldn’t do unnecessary procedures. Nothing is benign.

#242829 Reply
    Participant

Centers of Excellence is not a new concept. In this approach, a private company is simply marketing this using this a low cost (preferable) alternative.

I saw mentioned two US trained physicians, one of which was a “fly in”. I didn’t see any representations that the readmit, complications or success rates were comparable to the USA.

I’ll bargain shop at Centers of Health models in the US.

Why Walmart Centers of Excellence Model Could Redefine How Employers Deliver Quality Care

#242838 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod
    Participant

Perfect example why we shouldn’t do unnecessary procedures. Nothing is benign.

Click to expand…

Life aint benign.

The vast majority of things arent ‘necessary’, which itself is a spectrum not a point.

#242865 Reply
    Liked by PhotonsRGR8

Reply To: NYT: Total knee arthroplasty in Mexico

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear