Menu

NYC Mayor Guarantees Comprehensive Health Care for All

Home The Lounge NYC Mayor Guarantees Comprehensive Health Care for All

• CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

NYC Mayor Guarantees Comprehensive Health Care for All

Hopefully we’ll be able to keep this largely non-political and civil. I don’t pretend to be good at math but $100M for 600,000 people. It isn’t exactly clear if the 600,000 number is including the 300,000 “undocumented workers” but if you keep it at 600,000, that’s $167 per person per year for “comprehensive care”.

A few questions I have are: Do they really think they’re going to find providers to see these people for what will amount to hardly any reimbursement (perhaps even worse than Medicaid already)? What’s their incentive to get these people to call and make an appointment when they can go to the ED whenever they want?

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#179679 Reply
    Participant

so naive and stupid it hurts.

#179688 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

I think his comments clearly show that it’s intended to cover illegal immigrants. What’s more baffling is that it will supposedly cost only $100M and not involve raising taxes. Amazing that anyone would believe this let alone take it seriously.

#179696 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

He is not a person that I take very seriously.

#179697 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

This sounds amazing.  Like that new diet I started last week that promised me that I can eat all the chocolate cake I want and still lose weight.  I bet I’ve dropped five pounds already!

#179700 Reply
    Participant

it would be amazing if this country could focus on helping out its own citizens that are struggling before we focus on illegal immigrants. have your own house in order before you try to help someone else with theirs.

#179705 Reply
    Liked by HikingDO
    Hank Hank 

I’m pretty sure Bill de Blasio isn’t the one guaranteeing comprehensive healthcare for all.  His net worth is only $145M.  Now, Michael Bloomberg might have been able to personally guarantee it, at least for a little while.

#179710 Reply
    Participant

Do these statements alter anyone’s behavior?  Do other illegals move to NYC for the free care?  Do NYC illegals stay for the free care?  I hope so.

#179711 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

I’m not trying to be the PC police but using the term “illegal” to refer to a person is pretty ugly.

Undocumented immigrants are acting completely rationally by coming to a country of great economic opportunity that has policies in place to welcome them. For decades the USA has actively encouraged undocumented immigration, we may not like to admit that especially during the orgy of hate and xenophobia that we have going on right now but we have tacitly welcomed them. In many, many, many cases American businesses have participated in active recruitment and retention of undocumented people to work for them. Undocumented immigrants are not doing anything morally wrong and they are doing what I would do in their position. The vast majority are economic migrants who want to make more money than they can make in their countries. Some are fleeing instability and violence. Again, I would do the same thing.

Broadly I reject word-policing and I am actually in favor of restrictions on illegal immigration but that doesn’t justify using dehumanizing language to refer to millions of people. To paraphrase people much smarter than I am, people are not illegal.

Lo siento pero no lo siento. sino por la gracia de dios seria un hombre ilegal, pero tengo suete y naci en los estados unidos.

#179714 Reply
    Participant

I’m not trying to be the PC police

You are the PC police. You are arguing what words I should use. I reject compelled speech.

#179715 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

nvm

#179718 Reply
    Liked by HikingDO
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

The problem with these plans is that they are seemingly so haphazardly created that they are doomed to fail from day one. This includes ‘Obamacare’, which was seeemingly rushed and doomed with sweetheart deals that were made to secure votes.

I’m sorry, but until this becomes an issue taken seriously by both sides of the aisle and not one that’s used to create positive optics for politician x, I expect massive failure.

#179723 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

I’m not trying to be the PC police

You are the PC police. You are arguing what words I should use. I reject compelled speech.

Click to expand…

I’m not compelling speech. This is a free internet forum on which I have no ability to compel speech and would not do so if I could.

There are plenty of more obviously horrible words that you probably would argue people should not use as well.

I’m not going to have this get ugly, just pointing out that it’s a dehumanizing way to refer to rational actors.

I’ll stop referring to people as illegal when De Blasio stops referring to people who graduated from medical school as “providers.”  Want to start a crusade against a word that deliberately dehumanizes people?  Why not start there?  That vile word does not appear anywhere in my diploma, and I refuse to respect anyone who uses it.

Click to expand…

This is just…. weird.

#179724 Reply
    Liked by
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    I’m not going to have this get ugly, just pointing out that it’s a dehumanizing way to refer to rational actors.

Click to expand…

What about calling people criminals? Is that much different? Many criminals can be rational actors as well.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#179728 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

If the topic of your post is the cause of a major disagreement between political parties, don’t expect it will last long before being closed. This one is generating more heat than light so I’m closing it.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#179733 Reply
    Liked by , Doc Spouse, nachos31

Reply To: NYC Mayor Guarantees Comprehensive Health Care for All

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear