Menu

Now that I have a house, can't wait to downsize

Home The Lounge Now that I have a house, can't wait to downsize

• IlliniGopher IlliniGopher 
    Participant

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am about 4 years out and I bought a home that I plan to raise my family in.  Initially I thought I’d get my dream home in 10 years, but the more that I think about it, I can’t wait to downsize to an apartment in the city.  Property taxes, maintenance costs, new roof, etc — I can just simplify life with a little rent and utilities instead and travel.

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Teddy Roosevelt

#121072 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Houses mean different things to different people. I love having the garage space, yard, etc. However, whatever makes you happiest, it’s important that you do that.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#121074 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant

My home gym alone is worth the price of admission, even if it means perpetual serfdom for The Man.

Today: Running around the yard with the kid, checking on our gardening endeavors (aka feeding the local wildlife), throwing the frisbee for the dog (from the front porch), nobody banging around upstairs (that isn’t related to me), got some stuff out of my car (parked 20 feet away), presently grilling some steaks in the backyard…these things sweeten it even more!

#121078 Reply
    AnjaliFIT AnjaliFIT 
    Participant

My parents are a few years away from retirement and did this – sold their home and downsized to a nice condo building and they love it. I also would like to downsize one day but with a 2 year old it is nice to have a yard.  On a different note, are you a fellow Illini?

Anjali Jariwala CPA, CFP®
    [email protected]┃847.863.6836
    http://www.fitadvisors.com

#121080 Reply
    IlliniGopher IlliniGopher 
    Participant

Yep, Illini.  Finished in 2007.  Yea I agree, it is fun to watch my little toddler run around on a safe street in front of my house.  I am gonna miss it when she’s all grown up.

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Teddy Roosevelt

#121282 Reply

Reply To: Now that I have a house, can't wait to downsize

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear