Menu

Notice from Medical Board

Home General/Welcome Notice from Medical Board

Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

Our office received a complaint from the Medical Board of California regarding care one of our physicians provided to a patient 5 years ago.  He was with a different physician group at that time.  This is a complaint to the Board only, and there is no malpractice or litigation.

Does he need to contact his former group about this complaint and seek their legal counsel to respond to the Board?  Or, since there is no malpractice, he is on his own to find counsel?  Or do people respond to the Board without counsel?

#228851 Reply

Is a response necessary? If so what do they want?

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#228873 Reply
    Participant

I’m surprised they would honor something 5 years back.  I think it should be limited to the statute of limitations for litigation.

#228878 Reply
    Participant

The Board is asking for a response to the initial complaint which sounds optional “you have the opportunity to respond.”  I know that legal counsel is often sought during investigations.  Do doctors commonly seek counsel even at this preliminary stage?

#228879 Reply
    Participant

Yes, they usually seek legal counsel at this preliminary stage because you could lose your license.    I don’t know how much help they are, most boards are made up of lay people and other physicians, but due to the risks of further litigation, most obtain legal counsel.   He does need to contact his previous group, sometimes, their tail insurance will cover a case like this, or the group may want to help with representation if they have some exposure in the case.

#228883 Reply
    Liked by pulmdoc
    Rando Rando 
    Participant

I believe some malpractice insurers provide coverage for board inquiries and unless this is something extremely straightforward I would recommend an attorney.  Board inquiries can be much worse than a malpractice suit.

#228888 Reply
    Participant

Our office received a complaint from the Medical Board of California

Click to expand…

A complaint from the medical board? or from a patient, which the board now has jump through some hassle to show they “follow a process” ?

Having an attorney (or someone knowledgeable) guide you though a patient complaint might be just fine. Our university legal department dispatched with a patient complaint rather quickly.

#228898 Reply
    Participant

5 FIVE Years ago? Is it even real?

#228905 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

5 FIVE Years ago? Is it even real?

Click to expand…

Good point.  The IRS calls me here and there.  I hang up on that robot.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#228938 Reply
    Participant

He needs to contact his former group and their attorney, he won’t even have access to the records to review if he’s no longer at that location, the old office probably has already received a records request.  Looks like California allows up to 7 years to file a complaint.

It may be nothing (I had to deal with a complaint to the board for not giving a patient pain medication) or something very serious as to jeopardize his license (sexual misconduct, under influence of drugs/alcohol).

#228961 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Yes, the doctor should get a health care attorney. I wouldn’t necessarily do anything as a group at this point.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#228970 Reply
    Participant

“He needs to contact his former group and their attorney, he won’t even have access to the records to review if he’s no longer at that location”

A word of caution relying on the former groups attorney. The “client “ he represents is the group, not a former member or employee. He needs to have his representation in getting advice. Whether provided by the former group, insurance co, or individually is irrelevant. He needs representation.

#228978 Reply

Reply To: Notice from Medical Board

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear