Menu

Non financial challenges of FIRE

Home General/Welcome Non financial challenges of FIRE

Participant

I was wondering if anyone had any resources to
    Some of the non-financial ie emotional challenges of Retiring early.

More specifically have some concerns now with feeling of lack of purpose and lack of community. As most here I am pretty type A and wanted to prepare. Feel have the financial issues covered but worry about non/financial aspects.

Im an audio person open to podcasts audiobooks etc. would love some ideas.
    I know some folks might find this a crazy problem but I feel like the knowledge might be useful .

Thank in advance.

Doc 29

#239722 Reply
    Participant

Mad Fientist has explored this some on his podcast (and presumably his blog but I don’t read it).  He is now 3 years into FIRE I believe and has been very open with the non-financial challenges.

Tony – Going Back to Work After Early Retirement

#239723 Reply
    Liked by saildawg
    Participant
    I know some folks might find this a crazy problem

Click to expand…

I’m not one of them–I agree with you.  (Luckily, I’m introverted and have a long, successful history of self-entertaining….)

Almost all FIRE blogs pay lip service to this with a few articles at least.

I just read Tanja Hester’s book and she addresses it.

Don’t know about audio options.

Good luck.

#239724 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone had any resources to
    Some of the non-financial ie emotional challenges of Retiring early.

More specifically have some concerns now with feeling of lack of purpose and lack of community. As most here I am pretty type A and wanted to prepare. Feel have the financial issues covered but worry about non/financial aspects.

Im an audio person open to podcasts audiobooks etc. would love some ideas.
    I know some folks might find this a crazy problem but I feel like the knowledge might be useful .

Thank in advance.

Doc 29

Click to expand…

Not sure if podcasts will help. Any emotional challenges of retirement (early or otherwise) are likely idiosyncratic.

I left medicine at 41 due to burnout. I loved being “retired.” For about 2 1/2 years I spent my days at the bookstore (mainly reading accounting and financial texts), playing fetch with my dog, visiting with family, and working out.

I then took a job as a healthcare equity analyst because it fell into my lap and sounded like a fun adventure (new career, new city, etc.). Nevertheless, I still considered myself “retired.” My colleagues were interesting, and the pace of work was relaxed relative to private practice cardiology. I didn’t take any vacation because I felt like I was on a permanent vacation.

Eventually I left to get an MBA — because I was more interested in that than continuing to work as an analyst. After the MBA I opened a solo RIA. That turned out to be much less fun than I imagined (lots of regulatory requirements to meet), but I might still be at it if I didn’t fall critically ill. The illness prompted my return to medicine.

If you’re Type A, then you might follow a similar path in “retirement.” Others just relax and play at their hobbies.

People write about difficulties with retirement, but frankly I can’t imagine why anyone would have such difficulty — unless he/she derives his/her self-esteem from position or title. In that case, he/she probably shouldn’t retire. Know thyself.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#239729 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant
    People write about difficulties with retirement, but frankly I can’t imagine why anyone would have such difficulty — unless he/she derives his/her self-esteem from position or title. In that case, he/she probably shouldn’t retire. Know thyself.

Click to expand…

i can easily see why someone would have difficulty. it’s called getting bored or boredom..

#239738 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant

Click to expand…

i can easily see why someone would have difficulty. it’s called getting bored or boredom..

Click to expand…

Right. I’ve read others who write the same thing.

I guess I forgot about that difficulty because I can’t relate to it. How can life be boring when one is financially secure and free to do anything? (That’s rhetorical. :-))

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#239739 Reply
    Liked by MaxPower, octopus85, G
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

My wife wants to murder me if I spend the afternoon on the couch.  I dream of FIRE but in reality the RE would go over like a lead balloon.

#239758 Reply
    Participant

Sounds like a great argument for a man-cave/she-shed..with a locking door.

#239761 Reply
    Participant

There are blogging resources on this issue. Check out WCI partner Physician on FIRE. One recent blog reposted here on WCI  was called “Retire on Something, Not to Something.”  Here is another view: https://www.physicianonfire.com/searching-for-happiness-when-financially-independent/

#239770 Reply
    Participant

I’d recommend reading about Ikigai .

Being FI you are in a place to ignore the getting paid aspect and just find your passion, that you can become good at, that contributes to society. (For me that’s medicine – so I’m fortunate)

#239775 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

It’s fairly difficult for many to work the hours and put in the effort and have little to ‘show’ for it.  A big bank balance makes many happy, but to some it is just a number.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#239883 Reply
    Liked by q-school, Lordosis

Reply To: Non financial challenges of FIRE

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear