Menu

No fault accident causing car to be totalled, no collision coverage

Home The Lounge No fault accident causing car to be totalled, no collision coverage

Participant

“Are there a ton of people driving around illegally or are they just really bad drivers?”

Did you mean to use the word “and” instead of “or”? Sometimes the latter directly causes the former.

Back to the car. Given you car is totaled and a 2005 you probably won’t find your car. That “beater” has been transformed into the low mileage perfect creampuff for replacement. The insurance will find the lowest price 2005 Accord they can, usually from a shady note lot that is more interested in zero down and financing and repoing the car. Just arguing “excellent and low mileage” to replace your baby will double the offer. NADA and Edmunds are “proof” , use the dealer price. If needed, use a year newer. Claims adjusters have boxes to check. Help them find the right boxes. A 2003 went from around $3500 to $10k. This only works with their claims adjuster usually. They are motivated to settle with less hassle. Sorry you lost your “pride and joy” , now go find your new cream puff. The neighbors will be impressed with your new found treasure.

#246556 Reply
    Liked by legobikes

Are there a ton of people driving around illegally or are they just really bad drivers?

yes.

#246563 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant
    Depreciation claim

Click to expand…

Really, you think my rates would go up?

I can’t imagine they’re going to try to repair the car…

There was a car seat in the back, it seems fine to me, didn’t bother trying to claim it.

#246587 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

If you put it through your insurance it is a claim on your history, rates would not go up but it counts as a claim. If you go through the other person’s insurance no claims on your history. Same thing for uninsured scambags. In that case you have to go through your insurance. Rates won’t go up but it is a claim on your history.

#246590 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Really, you think my rates would go up? I can’t imagine they’re going to try to repair the car… There was a car seat in the back, it seems fine to me, didn’t bother trying to claim it.

Click to expand…

I agree, it won’t take much to total that car. I would look at your car seat manufacturer on their recommendations for replacement. I would venture a guess they recommend replacing it if involved in ANY kind of MVC.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#246591 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

If you put it through your insurance it is a claim on your history, rates would not go up but it counts as a claim. If you go through the other person’s insurance no claims on your history. Same thing for uninsured scambags. In that case you have to go through your insurance. Rates won’t go up but it is a claim on your history.

Click to expand…

Your rates would go up and I know this for two reasons:

1. Having immediate family working for auto-insurance companies.

2. Having personal experience with my rates going up after letting my insurance know of the accident (even though the other party’s insurance accepted responsibility and paid for damages).

#246592 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Your rates would go up and I know this for two reasons:

1. Having immediate family working for auto-insurance companies.

2. Having personal experience with my rates going up after letting my insurance know of the accident (even though the other party’s insurance accepted responsibility and paid for damages).

Click to expand…

You got gipped. Never had that issue and in the past I talked to my local insurance agent who confirmed it. Maybe it’s a state by state thing?

#246596 Reply
    Participant

I had a fender bender (other driver’s fault and their insurance paid for damages). I did call my insurance company initially and they advised me to call the other party’s insurance company directly as other driver was clearly at fault. My rates did not go up (USAA).

#246605 Reply
    Participant

One claim does not necessarily increase rates.
    An accident does not necessarily increase rates.
    Uninsured or not your fault doesn’t change the fact money was paid.
    An insurance agent is overruled by underwriting many times.

#246609 Reply
    Participant

One claim does not necessarily increase rates.
    An accident does not necessarily increase rates.
    Uninsured or not your fault doesn’t change the fact money was paid.
    An insurance agent is overruled by underwriting many times.

Click to expand…

I was specifically denied from getting Costco’s auto-insurance because they said I was involved in a single accident where the other party was at fault despite me not having any at fault accidents. Craziness.

#246636 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    I was specifically denied from getting Costco’s auto-insurance because they said I was involved in a single accident where the other party was at fault despite me not having any at fault accidents. Craziness.

Click to expand…

Some insurances will consider you higher risk for even being involved in an accident, even if you had 0% responsibility for the accident.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#246640 Reply
    Participant

New policy applications are also different underwriting than existing policy holders. By the way, good luck with getting to speak with any actual underwriter. No explanation will be given either.

#246772 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

The adjustor had asked about the carseat and I told her I thought it was fine, and then she called me up again yesterday at 4 pm ‘you need to release the car to us’. Alright, but why the snotty tone? I can do that. By the way, it seems like the carseat should be replaced–“no, only if it has some kind of damage.” Well alright, but I looked up NHTSA guidelines and there are specific criteria and one of them is if you can drive away from the acc-“I KNOW the criteria, you need to have a receipt or take a photo of the carseat in the vehicle.”

…So why did you claim that I don’t need to replace it? I didn’t say that part, but will use it later if I need to. If they’re this reactive about a carseat, almost makes me want to file for injury as well. My neck is sore, my knee was hit in some spot medial to my patella and still hurts, and I’ve been irritable these past two days, almost certainly from whatever jostling my brain went through. I remember I had the same irritability after getting rear-ended by some lady on her phone in SoCal.

The towing company person tried to tell me that I shouldn’t release the car to the insurance, because they will take the car and then ‘drag their feet’ and lowball me. I thought about that too, and it’s not like they can’t do both of those things even if you have the car sitting in your lot making you money. Didn’t say that part either, just said, I’m just going to risk it.

(To be clear I’m not intending to claim any injuries.)

#246928 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

If you are bruised up and such I’d certainly get it checked out. Soft tissue injuries can be sneaky and a pita to deal with in the future.

#246937 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Yeah but I hate doctors.

#246938 Reply

Reply To: No fault accident causing car to be totalled, no collision coverage

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear