Menu

No fault accident causing car to be totalled, no collision coverage

Home The Lounge No fault accident causing car to be totalled, no collision coverage

• legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

The front half of my beater (05 Accord) was just destroyed by some lady turning L right into me in a 2020 Corolla. The police had it towed, already called my insurance, but since this is basically on the other driver’s insurance, what happens now? Is it going to take several weeks? Is there any kind of rental coverage that I can get to eventually have paid by the other party’s insurance?

And I have to go to the airport this weekend! Can I at least bill them my Uber charges?

#246409 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

You can always turn it into your insurance and have your insurance figure all of that out (that’s what you pay them to do). Your insurance may pay for a rental for you and then go after the other company for reimbursement. Or you can always call the other driver’s insurance and ask them. I’m sure you can bill the insurance company whatever you want but getting them to pay might be a different story.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#246412 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

You call and talk to the insurance responsible and find out.

IME rental was covered but they made the process a PITA. I really doubt they will cover your Uber to the airport or other small hassles incurred.

#246415 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

At lease she had insurance.  Glad you did not get hurt.

I think you should start talking to her insurance.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#246418 Reply
    Liked by legobikes
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Wait I talk to their insurance? That’s a foreign concept to me. And say what? Please sir can I have some more?

My back is stiff but I can’t tell if that’s from painting the garage yesterday.

#246419 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Wait I talk to their insurance? That’s a foreign concept to me. And say what?

Click to expand…

“Hey, I don’t have a car because your lady totaled mine. I need a rental to get around until this is figured out. Do you guys pay for premium rentals or just standard?”

I’d also mention several times to them that you’re having such a hard time getting used to the neck brace you’re having to wear now…

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#246422 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Haha alright let me ‘put it in my own words’.

The worst part of all of this is that I really liked my car. It was old, it already had dents, now I have to get a whole another car. I can’t exactly buy a beater, because it will have too many things wrong with it that I’m not used to. So I have to get a newish beater. What a pain.

#246424 Reply
    Participant

Their insurance company will know what the procedures are. You aren’t their first rodeo. You call them and tell them you need a rental. They will tell you how to proceed.

#246426 Reply
    Participant

You can always turn it into your insurance and have your insurance figure all of that out (that’s what you pay them to do). Your insurance may pay for a rental for you and then go after the other company for reimbursement. Or you can always call the other driver’s insurance and ask them. I’m sure you can bill the insurance company whatever you want but getting them to pay might be a different story.

Click to expand…

My friend did this as well and worked out better for him. He filed claim against his insurance will all details (Including police report that showed he was not at fault). His company gavem him rental and all properly as he was their customer. Later they went after the “At fault” person’s insurance company. They have better lawyers and processes to deal with other insurance companies that we probably can. His premium did not go up or anything. You may want to check that option out by just calling your insurance.

Other option which one of my staff member did was, hire a attorney and let them handle it all. They will get a cut but they can get more money for everything than we can. I don’t like that option since there is a huge chance of abuse (she was suggested by that attorney to go to doc/chiro and take few days off and added the missing income to claim etc.) But that is an option as well.

Good that you are not seriously hurt. !!

#246452 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Research used car listings and find out how much it would cost to buy an equivalent of your totaled Accord, same milage, model etc. If they offer less, argue on the value, a good insurance company usually offers more.

#246459 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

All my accidents (so far) have been caused by the other driver. First thing you call your insurance
    Company and let them know you were in an accident, what happened. They will ask you if you want to file a claim. I personally have always gone through the other party’s insurance and never had any issues getting a fair settlement. This means I declined to file a claim with my company but can always change your mind later if You feel the other insurer is not being reasonable. Process is usually easy peasy and you might get a little morenthat your car was worth. If you feel your car is reparable, you can also buy it back from the insurance company and get it fixed yourself. Insirance will still cut you a check, just a little less than what it would otherwise be. Car
    Gets issued a salvage title. I have done this before when I knew car was otherwise in good shape and was easy to fix. Got 4 more years out of it, until I got hit again.

#246518 Reply
    Participant

Its never a good idea to call your insurance when the other party has been found at fault and they have insurance. This will result in your insurance company raising your rates even though you were not at fault. Always call the other parties insurance right away when it’s their fault.

Also ask for the following things:
    1. Paid for rental car
    2. Depreciation claim due to accident (this is on top of the repair claim)
    3. Car seat replacement when there was a car seat in the car

If you were injured in an accident it’s best to go through an attorney.

#246519 Reply
    Participant

Going through this right now except the other party has no insurance and driving with suspended license. Other party was kind of hostile at the scene, refused to exchange any information.
    So had no choice but to go through my insurance. My insurance has found me not at fault though the police report makes it look like I was at fault. Car also totalled 🙁

#246529 Reply

Sorry sucks.
    Time to go electric!

#246541 Reply
    Liked by ITEngineer
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Going through this right now except the other party has no insurance and driving with suspended license. Other party was kind of hostile at the scene, refused to exchange any information.
    So had no choice but to go through my insurance. My insurance has found me not at fault though the police report makes it look like I was at fault. Car also totalled

Click to expand…

When people that I know in real life. (Not the internet, not Facebook, not stories from patient, but friends and family that I actually know)  Get into an accident it seems to have a high proportion of non insured and/or non licensed drivers.

Are there a ton of people driving around illegally or are they just really bad drivers?

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#246549 Reply

Reply To: No fault accident causing car to be totalled, no collision coverage

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear