Menu

NIH All of Us program

Home The Lounge NIH All of Us program

Participant

https://allofus.nih.gov/

I am considering signing up as a participant in this research program, they are looking to enroll 1 million.

Has anyone joined or heard anything from participants?

#230926 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Have not, but imagine it will be largely survey based with periodic labs and outcomes, thereby making it mostly worthless but given the scale will unfortunately be over applied and interpreted beyond its methods scope.

#231339 Reply
    Participant

I have a med school buddy heavily involved in this. It is a little like the Framingham heart study, but will include all the genetics (as well as a goal of involving the whole, diverse US population, and not just a bunch of white people from one town in Massachusetts). The possible info learned from this could be huge.

#231440 Reply
    Liked by DocNextDoor
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I joined this 2-3 years ago out of curiosity since a coworker told me they’d be sequencing something or other and sharing the results with me, so like 23 and me for free. So far it’s been a bit disappointing. They have my “biosample” but haven’t done anything with it as far as I can tell. Otherwise they have my height, weight, and other basic measurements from one time point. There’s no commitment to follow up that I know of except you can occasionally go on their website and answer very basic surveys.

#231996 Reply
    Liked by DocNextDoor
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I joined this 2-3 years ago out of curiosity since a coworker told me they’d be sequencing something or other and sharing the results with me, so like 23 and me for free. So far it’s been a bit disappointing. They have my “biosample” but haven’t done anything with it as far as I can tell. Otherwise they have my height, weight, and other basic measurements from one time point. There’s no commitment to follow up that I know of except you can occasionally go on their website and answer very basic surveys.

Click to expand…

and why I doubt there will be much actually useful info there. There may be some things neat and interesting but surveys are basically garbage, people lie or arent paying attention. Just look at food or drink surveys compared to someone tracking people.

My concern is while we may get something from it, given its size and scope and who did it its likely (as others in past) that we are going to over interpret it above and beyond the quality of the methods and ultimately be more trouble. Just cuz you have the tech to involve a bunch a people doesnt make it better than doing a smaller thing with the right tools.

#232076 Reply
    Liked by DocNextDoor
    Participant

Have they published any examples of what they are actually looking at or trying to solve or establish? I understand you can do a whole lot with this large of a population but some examples would probably make people more likely to volunteer instead of ” we want to figure some stuff out.”

#232160 Reply

Reply To: NIH All of Us program

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear