Menu

newbie TLH mistake… (facepalm)

Home General Investing newbie TLH mistake… (facepalm)

•  RogerRovers 
    Participant
    WCICon18

First time TLH’ing this past December. Thought I’d share my personal silly mistake/oversight, in case anyone else has had something similar happen to them before.

Had almost all of my taxable account in VTSAX, and decided to TLH into VFIAX. I did this transaction Dec 19, 2018. Turns out, VTSAX’s dividend distribution record date is 12/20/2018, while VFIAX’s is 12/13/2018. So… I missed out on both VTSAX’s (1 day too early) and VFIAX’s (6 days too late) quarterly dividend distribution. Obviously not a big deal, but works out to missing out on approx 0.5% distribution of my total brokerage account value.

Oh well, lesson learned. In the future when TLH’ing, take a quick peek at dividend dates; sometimes holding off for just a day or two can make a difference, especially mid/end of December.

#180425 Reply
     Peds 
    Participant

you should be prorated VTSAX.

yes obviously buying after a dividend you dont get anything, but this is actually encouraged.

#180429 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
     jacoavlu 
    you should be prorated VTSAX.

Click to expand…

?

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#180434 Reply
     Peds 
    Participant

no? then nothing ;(

#180442 Reply
     jacoavlu 

what do you mean by “you should be prorated VTSAX” ?

#180445 Reply
     RogerRovers 
    Participant

I think that bond funds offer a prorated share of distributions if you sell early… However I don’t think that’s true of stock funds.  Would love to be proven wrong though

#180453 Reply
     Peds 
    Participant

what do you mean by “you should be prorated VTSAX” ?

Click to expand…

dont you get the value of the distribution as part of the sale? so the OP didnt completely lose out.

#180454 Reply
     jacoavlu 

you either get the dividend, or you don’t, nothing is prorated the way it is with funds that declare dividends daily

I think you have to own the shares on the record date but I’ve never tried to understand all that stuff

#180461 Reply
    Liked by Peds
     bean1970 
    Participant

The other thing to note is whether the dates of selling change any dividends you made already that year from qualified to non-qualified.  For many of us…that would change the taxation from 23% to 37%…..   I would much prefer to make money taxed at 23% than taxed at 37%.

#180473 Reply

Reply To: newbie TLH mistake… (facepalm)

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear