Menu

Newbie at backdoor roth IRA

Home Retirement Accounts Newbie at backdoor roth IRA

•  ShellyH 
    Participant

So I’m finally in my first attending position job as a neonatologist – per usual, I had no idea what I was doing trying to do more than contribute to a 401K plan. I had 3 different 401K accounts due to different training locations/residency and fellowship plans. Being the newb that I am, I converted 2 of my old 401K accounts into my tIRA account (hindsight I should have just rolled them over to my current employers 401K account, SMH). It wasn’t that much, just totaled 8K in funds. I thought I was making it simpler by not having 3 different 401K accounts. Then I started contributing to my tIRA with the plan of converting it this month to a Roth IRA.

So currently I have 8K in rolled over 401K funds in my tIRA account + 2K of new funds I contributed before realizing what Ive done (I was so newb I didn’t realize the 5500 cap applied to the all IRA funds even what I rolled over this year.

So…what should I do with this 10K in my tIRA? Can I still backdoor convert 5500 of this tIRA money into a roth IRA even with most of it being from a rolled over 401K account? tIRA money just tIRA money right? Then just withdraw the 4500 excess? I’ve seen posts worrying about 0.02 cents left in the tIRA account — this is a steep learning curve, but I’m trying to get up to speed! TIA!

#171856 Reply
     Peds 
    Participant

Move the original tIRA to your 401k.

Complete the 5500 contribution to now empty new tIRA.

Convert the 5500 the next day.

#171870 Reply
    Liked by ShellyH
    DMFA DMFA 

Either rollover the traditional IRA to your 401(k) or convert it and pay the taxes on it. Take your pick. It’s got to be taxed at some point; prob not best now, but up to you.

No one should worry about pennies or even double-digit dollars leftover in an account. If that ends up being taxed on a conversion, it might approximate the cost of a couple large 2-topping pizzas. I mean, I love pizza, but the point is to keep focus on big-picture things, here.

"I like money." - Frito Pendejo (Idiocracy)

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#171878 Reply
    Liked by Hank, ShellyH
     spiritrider 
    Participant
    So currently I have 8K in rolled over 401K funds in my tIRA account + 2K of new funds I contributed before realizing what Ive done (I was so newb I didn’t realize the 5500 cap applied to the all IRA funds even what I rolled over this year

Click to expand…

For 2018 there is a $5500 IRA direct contribution limit. There is no limit to rollovers and they do not count against the direct contribution limit.

Rollover your entire pre-tax balance in all traditional, SEP and SIMPLE IRA accounts prior to 12/31. The pre-tax balance = the total balance – non-deductible basis ($2K if no after-tax 401k contributions).

Make whatever portion of the remaining $5500 you want to now and do a Roth conversion of the entire remaining balance with little to no tax liability.

#171879 Reply
    Liked by ShellyH

Reply To: Newbie at backdoor roth IRA

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear