Menu

New Construction Must Have Options

Home Mortgages and Home Buying New Construction Must Have Options

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Dyson cordless vacuum changed my life. We had a Roomba that was inefficient and stupid, and needed to be emptied at the end anyways. We ditched that and a house cleaner and can run the vacuum over all the house in less than 5 min now. Way better than central vacuum or a big corded monster especially with hard floors.

#195892 Reply
    Participant
    Ok, @kamban, @bean1970, tell me what’s wrong with a central vac (I want one, but you’re scaring me). The hide-a-hose system seems great. The fact that the dust is getting sucked outside (garage, etc) and not getting recirculated seems perfect. Every other vacuum I’ve owned has been a piece of junk. Even the nicer ones (Miele, etc) have to be lugged around, etc.

Click to expand…

I tried it in a friend’s house and truly hated it. He had the hide-a-hose and it was still unwieldy. Long hoses 40+ feet long. And in a large house you need 3 or 4 areas to have the areas where the hoses coil up. For a small house it is too expensive and a stand alone vacuum is better value.

Since we will have all wooden floors which might need less vacuuming we decided to forgo it. If you ask people who have it and really press on it they don’t use it as much as they though they would. The final straw was when the installer insisted on it not because it was a time saving useful tool but because it is needed for a house of our size to sell. In 10+ years time who knows what invention might change how a vacuum would look like and we did not want to waste 6K for something we will never use.

Finally dust being sucked outside is a bit overblown reason to have it. We use a Dyson that keeps the dust within it and emptying it outside once every 2 weeks or so is not a problem. I have enough masks lying in the house, should I need one.

#195919 Reply
    Liked by q-school, Lordosis, Tim
    Participant

recently bought a house with central vac… was very excited initially but  lugging around the heavy hose got old real fast. Bought dyson wireless v10… its awesome… and am assuming, much cheaper for new house builders…

#195926 Reply
    Liked by Docbeans, Kamban
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Central vac is the dumbest idea ever.  Had one in the house I grew up in.  I just do not see the advantage.  Either you get a cordless or even a corded vacuum has only a small electrical cord to pull around vs a big heavy 50 ft hose that scuffs up your moldings.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#195928 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

i have a central vac and don’t use it except for the kitchen sweep vent part.  that is awesome.  for the rest of the house i have traditional vacuums that are pushed by the housekeeper service.   once every few years we call a professional service for deep clean of carpets and vents.

i probably could find all the hoses and attachments for the central vac but i would definitely find them in the storage areas, likely covered with dust.

#195931 Reply
    Liked by Kamban, Lordosis
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

i have a central vac and don’t use it except for the kitchen sweep vent part.  that is awesome.  for the rest of the house i have traditional vacuums that are pushed by the housekeeper service.   once every few years we call a professional service for deep clean of carpets and vents.

i probably could find all the hoses and attachments for the central vac but i would definitely find them in the storage areas, likely covered with dust.

Click to expand…

Yep, mine is stored in the attic. I liked it for awhile but we kept having problems and I finally put all the hoses and parts in the box my new vacuum came in (corded). Getting a cordless for upstairs but still haven’t decided which brand/model. Recommendations on Amazon are wonderful, but I have trouble getting over 1 bad experience even against 10 great ones.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#195950 Reply
    Participant
    Ok, @kamban, @bean1970, tell me what’s wrong with a central vac (I want one, but you’re scaring me). The hide-a-hose system seems great. The fact that the dust is getting sucked outside (garage, etc) and not getting recirculated seems perfect.

Click to expand…

I take it you are building a house and plan for central vac.

Do yourself a favor and visit a house that has it and really try it out. You opinion will change once you physically use it and get a sticker shock of its price.

#195971 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

I’m not a fan of central vac either.  If you enjoy wrestling with pythons, just get the real thing.  Lugging that hose around is a pain.

#195981 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Dyson cordless vacuum changed my life. We had a Roomba that was inefficient and stupid, and needed to be emptied at the end anyways. We ditched that and a house cleaner and can run the vacuum over all the house in less than 5 min now. Way better than central vacuum or a big corded monster especially with hard floors.

Click to expand…

interesting, we love both.

i think roomba is kind of a must if you have a pet that sheds.

i would like to look into the self-emptying roomba that empties into a hopper, you are right the dust collection thing is small.

#196020 Reply
    Participant

Interesting feedback.

I had a Dyson, and couldn’t have been more disappointed. Quality is (IMO) terrible. All the connections (tube-to-nozzle, tube-to-head) got “loose” over time, it was hard to clean, the motor would randomly shut off, and the battery didn’t last long enough. It really seemed to be built to fall apart after 5 years, at which point, you’d (obviously) buy a new $600 cordless vacuum…

#196021 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Until this thread, I didn’t know a central vacuum was a thing. I’ve never seen one.

I would probably add on a heated driveway into the “would be cool” category. It’d be nice to have a clear driveway after a snow storm while watching all the other suckers clear their driveways off.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#196037 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Our roomba does a mediocre job at best on the hard floor.  Not too bad on the carpet.  But for maintaining a not too dirty floor she does a good job as long as she is run most days.  Then we can do a more detailed cleaning usually every other week.

Changing the dust bin is annoying.  I have been meaning to look into those hoppers.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#196040 Reply
    Participant

We remodeled went with these (edited list):

Stuff I love:

1) programable wireless thermostat

3) NICE faucet.  completely stainless steel. no plastic parts to including the hose is stainless.

4) walk in shower with no shower curtain!

6) nearly all kitchen our outlets have a USB ports in between the outlets

Stuff we have that is nice but not necessary:

5) hot water on demand faucet

7) 2 ovens.

8) we have an electric car but might want to have outlets for them in garage if you ever end up with one

Click to expand…

And we added a GREAT kitchen lighting too.

and a great kitchen fridge with the freezer on the bottom, not the side.

… and we have someone who comes to clear the house q/2 weeks.

#196073 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Have mostly hardwood. We have a Deebot that does admirably given its the fraction of a roomba, really does a great job at keeping things from getting bad. However, they are so dumb its annoying. The reasons they say they wont learn your house annoy the heck out of me. If I really need vacuuming I just wheel in the shop vac.

#196123 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Participant

Great thread- tons of useful information- as I get ready to start building from scratch within the next few months. Have come across a lot of these in my research, hence good to have it corroborated by your collective experience.

-agree with most here that the Central vac is a huge (pun intended) waste

-Cordless vacuums are a game changer. I just have a simple Hoover Linx but the mere fact that it is cordless makes me vacuum so much more frequently than something I’d have to plug in.

-I’m hearing folks are not putting in wiring for music/sound systems anymore because the wireless options are getting so good.

-foam insulation pays for itself many times over by reducing heating/cooling bills

-the massive master bedrooms are on their way out… ppl have figured out they are wasted spaces

-big kitchen islands in an open floor plan continue to be popular as the hub where everyone from family to friends gathers around

#196133 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp

Reply To: New Construction Must Have Options

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear