Menu

Net worth change in 2018

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Net worth change in 2018

• Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant
    Disability Insurance

I was dreading updating the spreadsheet for 1/2/19 to calculate my Net Worth (and compare with end of prior year) and much to my delight that despite the overall US broad stock market decline (and greater declines in small caps, value and international markets), my net worth rose by 2.3%. From the market peak (or at least from my closest monthly measurement from the market peak), I am down by 4.6%.

The reason for the rise has a lot to do with a large cash cushion, my wife’s company stock doing well, and the new money allocated to saving/investing.

How did everyone else do?

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#178314 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Didn’t change much, owing to the additional contributions in 2018.

#178317 Reply
    Participant

Similar situation. My net worth did grow a couple of percent from the beginning of 2018. Primarily due to a great savings rate and an increasingly conservative portfolio with essentially all new money going into bond funds or cash as I move to within a few years of retirement.

#178318 Reply
    Participant

NW +25%.

#178323 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

I was dreading updating the spreadsheet for 1/2/19 to calculate my Net Worth (and compare with end of prior year) and much to my delight that despite the overall US broad stock market decline (and greater declines in small caps, value and international markets), my net worth rose by 2.3%. From the market peak (or at least from my closest monthly measurement from the market peak), I am down by 4.6%.

The reason for the rise has a lot to do with a large cash cushion, my wife’s company stock doing well, and the new money allocated to saving/investing.

How did everyone else do?

Click to expand…

probably the fact that you are both still working also helped improve your position.

I’m up about the same due to similar reasons except no wife stock situation.  I donated six figures in 2017 and significantly less than six figures in 2018.

#178324 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant
    I donated six figures in 2017 and significantly less than six figures in 2018.

Click to expand…

Same here. Actual cash donations were de minimis. Overall contributions to charity were our largest ever (because there was more money than ever before in the DAF).

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#178327 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Participant

Retired:
    No deposits, one withdrawal simply to top off taxable income in a tax bracket. No change in allocations or holdings. Got a really nice haircut! First trim in years.

#178328 Reply
    portlandia portlandia 
    Participant

+16% primarily due to an aggressive savings rate. Increase tempered by market performance and new home purchase-which we are enjoying, but don’t get me started about what a great investment a home is. Ha, ha.

#178351 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

Down around 800K.  Trying not to figure it out.  I had assumed it was over a million so I was relieved.

ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Down around 800K.  Trying not to figure it out.  I had assumed it was over a million so I was relieved.

Click to expand…

You just couldn’t stay away from that Bitcoin.  😉

Participant

+0.96%, excluding real estate appreciation (Having learned from my mistakes, I just ignore this).

I have lots of bonds and stable value, so investment portfolio was down just 2.5% including new money. Debt payoff accounts for the gain.

#178363 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

this question is probably meant for those who have already saved a bunch already. My wife and I really only started to super-charge the path this year. Retirement accounts grew 12% this year but that’s probably because we contributed a lot more (contributing 17% of pay in the past, and that was 25% in 2018). Our retirement accounts in 2016 and 2017 grew anywhere from 35-45% thanks to growth and contributions.

We also paid down a bunch of debt in 2018. So between the super-charged retirement contributions and debt paydown our NW increased by 608%….but that’s b/c 2017 end of year net worth was only $35k! Now over $200k. we’re snowballing here

Participant

our holdings had an increase of 1.7% (i don’t index).

our net worth was up 3.7% (primarily due to less spending with kid in college (all his expenses are gone).

#178374 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

this question is probably meant for those who have already saved a bunch already. My wife and I really only started to super-charge the path this year. Retirement accounts grew 12% this year but that’s probably because we contributed a lot more (contributing 17% of pay in the past, and that was 25% in 2018). Our retirement accounts in 2016 and 2017 grew anywhere from 35-45% thanks to growth and contributions.

We also paid down a bunch of debt in 2018. So between the super-charged retirement contributions and debt paydown our NW increased by 608%….but that’s b/c 2017 end of year net worth was only $35k! Now over $200k. we’re snowballing here

Click to expand…

That’s a good point. The more you have in the stock market, the more you lose when the market swoons (at least on paper).

One of my buddies is agonizing over the daily market moves since September. He is 60, and his wife just retired about 18 months ago. They were supplementing his income with withdrawals from their retirement accounts. For the first year or so, they seemingly lived off of the dividends with little or no erosion of the principle and perhaps even some growth of the nest egg. Over the last few months, however, the withdrawals are exacerbating the market volatility and declines. It’s a good lesson on how you might feel when you are living off the nest egg exclusively.

#178375 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

+38% per personal capital

#178376 Reply

Reply To: Net worth change in 2018

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear