Menu

Nanny help

Participant

I always appreciate everyone’s advice here on the forum, so I’m coming for help. We are looking for a nanny with some short notice and would like to set up payment properly (eg. report taxes etc). I will be completely honest and tell you — I have not at all researched how to do this yet, but was hoping someone could jumpstart my knowledge on the best approach. My understanding is websites like care.com will set this up for you, but if it’s not too hard I don’t mind taking a DIY approach.

Thank you!

#189489 Reply
    Participant

We just started this last year, and use SurePayroll. They charge $40/month for the payroll service and $44 for the W-2. That’s worth it to us to not have to figure out how to do everything ourselves. You still have to get all of your employer tax numbers yourself to provide to them. Getting the federal EIN was easy – our state tax ID and unemployment ID and local ID numbers required a little more effort. Their customer service was reasonably helpful along the way with my questions. Once the initial set-up is done, though, you log in once per pay period and put in the hours. It calculates everything, debits our checking account, and direct deposits to our nanny’s bank account. Fairly easy.

#189503 Reply
    Participant

I do our taxes myself but just wasn’t in the mood to deal with the nanny tax stuff myself while I was working. We use Care.com’s homepay (used to be Breedlove, which I understand had a good reputation in the field). It was worth it to us. The few times I called and had questions, they were very knowledgeable. A friend also used them and they helped her settle a tax dispute with her state (complicated tax situation with a move involved) in her favor.

#189506 Reply
    Participant

I’ve been using savvy nanny payroll and it’s been good. No issues. $40/month with no fees for w-2. They don’t make city tax payments for you though. I don’t know if any of the services do though

#189508 Reply
    Participant

Surepayroll submits city/local taxes. Not sure about the other services.

#189509 Reply
    Participant

Ok great thanks for the feedback. I wasn’t sure if the amount charged by these sites was reasonable or not given the effort. Sounds like it is — which is totally fine by me!

#189556 Reply
    Participant

We do surepayroll as well. The initial setup takes a bit of time getting all the numbers, but once it’s set up it literally takes 5 min every other week to enter the hours and press submit, (they do have a referral program. I’m not trying to get that necessarily, but if you pick that option consider going with someone here instead of just through the site since it costs nothing extra to be referred. Doesn’t need to be me. Plug over). They do the quarterly tax filings, generate W2s and schedule H. The nanny has her own separate login so she can edit her withholdings, check hours, and make any other edits. It was cheaper than the cafe.com comparison and we’ve been happy with it once the initial setup of getting tax ID numbers was done.

#189559 Reply
    birddog birddog 
    Participant

8 Tips for Employing a Nanny the Right Way

Excellent info on nannies including some payroll/tax advice.

#189593 Reply

Reply To: Nanny help

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear