Menu

Muni funds help – CA

Home General Investing Muni funds help – CA

• xraygoggles xraygoggles 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

What are the main disadvantages to investing in the Vanguard CA Long-Term Tax-Exempt Fund  (VCITX) instead of Vanguard California Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Fund (VCAIX)?

This money will likely be needed within 1-2 years (RE savings), does it matter which one I choose? The long-term fund has higher returns in the past.

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”

#235073 Reply
    Participant

The effective DURATION is the difference. If the Fed raises short term  rates , VCITX, with a duration of 6.76 years, will drop in asset value by 6.76% for every 1% rise  in short term rates.  VCAIX, with a duration of 5.05 years, will drop in value 5.05% for every 1% rise in short term rates.  In reality the changes are not that precise nor predictable because the long duration bonds tend to be influenced by more factors than just short term Fed rates. Because you can not predict the Fed decisions,  and you need the asset soon, put them into the shortest available duration fund.

#235084 Reply

1-2 years maybe not recommend if you actually need the money.
    Good time to learn about bonds and how they work.

#235097 Reply
    Liked by DCdoc
    Participant

A lot of interest rate risk in bonds at current yield level for such a short duration. Probably better to do a MMF or CD

#235100 Reply
    xraygoggles xraygoggles 
    Participant

You’re right in that I am a complete novice when it comes to Bonds. What resources do you recommend?

I’m really trying to avoid a savings account or money market fund. I’d like to save on state taxes, if possible. I am in the 12.3% bracket.

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”

#235102 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Depending on your tax bracket this might be useful

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/VCTXX

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#235103 Reply
    TrumpMD TrumpMD 
    Participant

Low yield on that one and other money market munis. Are they worth it compared to Wealthfront paying 2.5% on savings? Money market munis I’ve seen yield around 1%, not even above inflation

"Tax loss harvesting": buy high and sell low to achieve true wealth

#235105 Reply
    Liked by xraygoggles
    xraygoggles xraygoggles 
    Participant

Depending on your tax bracket this might be useful

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/VCTXX

Click to expand…

I’m not sure that’s what I would choose.

Sure, rates could fluctuate over the next few quarters. But even if they did, it might still be worth it to invest in the higher yielding funds I mentioned above, particularly VCITX. 5.92% returns since inception.

#235117 Reply
    DMFA DMFA 

Low yield on that one and other money market munis. Are they worth it compared to Wealthfront paying 2.5% on savings? Money market munis I’ve seen yield around 1%, not even above inflation

Click to expand…

VCTXX – 1.29% 12-month trailing, no tax

Wealthfront: 2.5% pretax, so if if your marginal rate is 48.4% or greater, you’d be better off in VCTXX.  In CA, that can be plausible; for single filers earning $286,500 the CA marginal rate is 10.3%, so it would take being in the 35% bracket for it to be close (would see 35% + 11.3%), and in the 37% bracket (11.3 – 12.3% CA tax) to put it all the way over.

CA tax is a beast.  Also be aware that high-yield savings is very likely to drop their rates going forward, if the most recent drops by a tenth over the past week or so have been any indication.  It’s all an arms race.

If you’re looking at regular munis and not a muni money market fund, like VCITX/VCLAX (long-term) vs VCAIX/VCADX (intermediate-term), what you’re looking at is duration.  Both have had a lot of their recent trailing 12 month returns mostly related to an increase in NAV instead of yield because duration risk worked out in their favor (lower new rates increased the value of longer-term bonds at higher rates).  So if you sell those shares at a gain in NAV, then even though the income you earned on those bonds is tax-free, the capital gain you’ve realized is still taxed, and often at usual income rates if you’ve held the lot for under a year.

"I like money." - Frito Pendejo (Idiocracy)

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#235118 Reply
    Liked by TrumpMD, jz

Reply To: Muni funds help – CA

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear