Menu

Mother's Day Gift Ideas

Home The Lounge Mother's Day Gift Ideas

• Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I’m trying to think of something I should get my Mom besides just something cookie cutter I hear on radio ads like flowers, strawberries, etc.  I can’t really think of something unique for her that I think she will love.  Materially, she has more money than she could ever spend and is not nearly as frugal as I am – if she wants something, she will just buy it.  She is retired and likes to travel, play golf, read, and volunteer at the veterinary clinic.  I am leaning towards just donating to sponsor some pets at the clinic where she works.  But I thought I would start this discussion, not so much to ask what people think my Mom would like but to hear other ideas for what people have done for theirs in the past.

#211953 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Sometimes a handmade card and thoughtful note are well appreciated.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#211957 Reply
    Participant

How old is your mom?

Things we (my brothers and I) have gotten my mom (81 years old)

~Cleaning service for one year

~Flower “share” (The local CSA (community supported agriculture) offers a veggie, fruit or flower share. We did the flower share which was about 10-12 weeks of weekly wildflowers that she would pick up each Thursday.

~Coscto card specifically to buy flowers (she loved the flower share but she’s pretty frugal and said “they didn’t last as long as the flowers I get at Costco… hence the gift card with a message to only buy flowers with it.

~New iPhone

~New iPhone case with pics of grandkids on it https://www.snapfish.com/custom-cases-covers

~Personalized mug (have done grandkids a ton… so then bought one with myself and brothers on it too!) https://www.snapfish.com/photo-mugs

My list:

~Fix my chicken coop and get me some new girls (bear massacre killed all my hens in November, been missing my flock!)

~New swim cap and goggles

~New running shoes

My girlfriends list:

Moccamaster Coffee Maker (on her list cuz I already have one)… it is a MUST for the coffee lover! https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-Moccamaster-Coffee-Brewer-Polished/dp/B00722EWDK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=moccamaster&qid=1556857734&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Hope this helps!

#211964 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Time with you.

#211980 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

The best gift I ever get is a card (I don’t give a poop if it’s store-bought or handmade) with a message to me. Not just “I love you” (which is always nice) but “You are this, this, and this and I love you because of…, memories, inspiration, etc. etc.) There are a lot of good ideas on Etsy, too.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#211993 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Do you have kids?

One of the perks of having kids if you can have them make the cards and pictures and gifts for you.  They have to be of the right age.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#211997 Reply
    Participant

For the rest of you who didn’t know when, it’s

Sunday, May 12
    #212007 Reply
    Participant

Subscribing to this for ideas.

I have to give one with my daughter to my wife and one with my wife to my MIL. Every year I hit a mental block around this time.

#212030 Reply
    Liked by adventure, Tim
    Participant

A Wifi frame like this one.  https://auraframes.com/

There are many others on the market, idea is the same, you can group various frames together, and everyone in the family can send photos to the frames through a shared email or cellphone app.  So basically its a LCD picture frame that hangs in your Mother’s home, where you can push random pictures of you and your family to at any time.  Kinda fun.

#212042 Reply
    ddswifey ddswifey 
    Participant

I think it depends if your parent’s love language is “gifts”.   My parents don’t care about gifts.  We’ve sponsored children thru Compassion International for Christmas before. This year we are taking both mom’s out to a nice brunch.

We’ve done a Kitchen aid Mixer before.

We’ve given landscaping items—like for rose garden, etc.

A weighted blanket…..

We aren’t big on gifts though.    @SLC OB— cleaning service for a year is genius.

Car detailing gift cards??? Although I’m sure once you don’t have small kids, you don’t need it detailed as much.

My parents don’t have alot so even these small luxury things they wouldn’t buy themselves are nice to give them.

I'm here to learn

#212052 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Jarvis

<b>Anna Marie Jarvis</b> (May 1, 1864 – November 24, 1948) was the founder of the Mother’s Day holiday in the United States. Her mother had frequently expressed a desire for the establishment of such a holiday, and after her mother’s death, Jarvis led the movement for the commemoration. However, as the years passed, Jarvis grew disenchanted with the growing commercialization of the observation (she herself did not profit from the day) and even attempted to have Mother’s Day rescinded. She died in a sanitarium, her medical bills paid by people in the floral and greeting card industries.

A printed card means nothing except that you are too lazy to write to the woman who has done more for you than anyone in the world. And candy! You take a box to Mother—and then eat most of it yourself. A pretty sentiment.

— <cite>Anna Jarvis.<sup id=”cite_ref-21″ class=”reference”>[21]</sup><sup id=”cite_ref-22″ class=”reference”>[22]</sup></cite>

We’ll probably go to Dinner the saturday before to avoid the crowds.

#212083 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    Participant

Another vote for a custom photo iphone case if there are grandkids (or a beloved pet) in the picture. I give one to my MIL every year for either birthday or Mother’s Day and she loves it. I’ve tried a couple different brands and so far the best seems to be from mycustomcase.com

#212095 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Brunch!

#212102 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    Participant

I always do a card and note/poem. My mom likes crosswords/word games so I have created limericks or cryptoquizzes for her that are personal as well.  She doesn’t need stuff, she needs to know she is loved and cared about.

#212140 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Looks like this is going to be one of those goofy threads that won’t let me see new responses.  Nevertheless, thanks to all for the ideas!

#212157 Reply
    Liked by Tim

Reply To: Mother's Day Gift Ideas

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear