Menu

Morning Routine

Home The Lounge Morning Routine

• MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Being an EM doc has basically made it so I can’t have a morning routine.

Left to my own devices it’s up early, coffee, check the news, and walk the dog. If I’m on baby duty that day she wakes up at 6:30a and we hang out.

I exercise a lot but never in the morning, there’s something about my internal rhythms that makes morning workouts horrible for me, I never have any energy and I feel bad.

#181053 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Anne, docnews
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I get up around 5 AM.  I need coffee and read the WSJ and a few blogs.  I run around a mile.  I walk the dogs too.  I go in at 830.

#181057 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    CM CM 
    Participant
    Anyone here build their own home gym? I’d be curious to hear equipment recommendations and such if you have.

Click to expand…

I purchased commercial gym equipment for my home during my second year as an attending: Empire line by Titan back then (early 90s). Bought extensive line of dumbbells (fixed) with a rack to hold them, flat bench, incline bench, lat machine, leg extension, and preacher bench. That was almost 30 years ago and I’m still using that equipment.

In 2010 I added Hammer Strength machines (Iso-lateral Incline Press and Iso-Lateral Front Lat Pulldown). Very nice equipment.

If you’re serious about your weight-lifting, then you need commercial equipment. Otherwise, you won’t want to use it; you’ll want to go to the gym instead.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#181064 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant
    I exercise a lot but never in the morning, there’s something about my internal rhythms that makes morning workouts horrible for me, I never have any energy and I feel bad.

Click to expand…

Likewise. Not a morning person.

I wake at 7, shower, shave, dress and leave for work at 7:30, at desk by 7:40.

If I didn’t know that other people rise early to exercise before work, then I would believe it was impossible.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#181065 Reply
    Liked by childay, Zaphod
    Participant

What’s this word routine? Does it count after a night shift?

EM doc here as well. Jealous of your routine but not of your specialities.

#181068 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant

Hospitalist here. I usually wake up at 5am. I drink coffee and a big cup of green smoothie. Im not consistent with workout.
    Im at work at 8am.

#181073 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

If I didn’t know that other people rise early to exercise before work, then I would believe it was impossible.

Click to expand…

I’d consider myself a morning person, I really enjoy them, but not for exercise I just dont perform as well as lunch/afternoon. As I’ve gotten older the issue has become workout/eat and eating has been winning. If I eat I dont want to workout for a while-too late. If I workout-I usually cant eat for a while, but that was when workouts were serious, probably doesnt matter now.

I always hated that most bike races were pretty early in the morning after some travel and bad sleep, but everyone was in the same position so…

#181074 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Vagabond MD
    Participant

Up at 430-500 sometimes earlier. Go to gym, bed to elliptical time about 23 minutes. Elliptical 30 minutes, weights 20 minutes. A healthy and fit Fatlittlepig indeed.

Click to expand…

I think the enduring mystery of fatlittlepig is why fatlittlepig’s avatar is a mandarin duck rather than something more fitting and swinish, like a contented warthog.

#181079 Reply
    Liked by octopus85
    Participant

Build the home gym, you won’t regret it. I did mine over a year ago and it was the best invest I have made in a long time. No excuse to not work out and no monthly waiting around. You can find some good deals online. I went with mostly Rogue fitness gear, expensive but get what you pay for and USA made, they do sales all the time. I picked up some extra weights and bars from Rep and Fringe fitness. Look up garagegymreviews, he has reviewed just about everything out there.

#181081 Reply
    Liked by RocketBooster
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

In case anyone cares:

• Up 5:25
    • At office between 6 and 6:30 (depending upon how long it takes Beau to poop and how long the line at Hardee’s is)
    • LOG ON TO WCI FORUM
    • Cappuccino at the office with my “regular” breakfast (the Hardee’s staff know what it is, senior discount, of course) while reading the forum
    • start work, read emails, etc.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#181091 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I’m actually a huge morning person, I just can’t work out effectively in the morning for whatever reason.

If they’d let me do all of my shifts starting at 6a I would do it in a heartbeat.

#181100 Reply
    Participant

Wake up around 6. I need to get my exercise in before kids wake up or else I don’t exercise. I’m pretty much tired after work. Drink my tea, exercise- bod or trx or yoga. Get kids breakfast, they eat while I take a shower. We have a routine that my kids ride my car going out of the garage and say bye to me. Bring my preschool to school. First patient at 8:20. Protein shake before seeing my first px.

#181105 Reply
    Participant

I’m a big believer in early morning routines, especially for people with little kids.

1. Wake up anywhere between 3:30-5:00, depends on when my youngest decides she wants a morning bottle. I let the wifey sleep in.

2. Drink one cup of coffee and read some type of book until 5:40. Wife gets up at 5:00 to join me. I’m not allowed to talk to her for 10 minutes though. ? My goal is one book per month. This month is Meg Meeker’s ‘Boy’s Will Be Boys’. Next month in ‘Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters’ by same author.

3. Workout from 5:40-6:30; either run, ride Peloton, or do resistance training. I have a half marathon in March. My wife and I alternate who gets to workout at the house and who gets to run outside. The stay home person is responsible for any early risers that can’t sleep.

4. Get kids up at 6:30 and get them dressed with breakfast laid out.

5. Get ready for work and leave for hospital between 7-7:15 to make rounds

6. Clinic starts at 8:30.

#181106 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Blah on home gyms. No variety and machines become clothes hangers. At gym can check out the hot babes

#181126 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    CM CM 
    Participant

I’m a big believer in early morning routines, especially for people with little kids.

1. Wake up anywhere between 3:30-5:00, depends on when my youngest decides she wants a morning bottle. I let the wifey sleep in.

2. Drink one cup of coffee and read some type of book until 5:40. Wife gets up at 5:00 to join me. I’m not allowed to talk to her for 10 minutes though. ? My goal is one book per month. This month is Meg Meeker’s ‘Boy’s Will Be Boys’. Next month in ‘Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters’ by same author.

3. Workout from 5:40-6:30; either run, ride Peloton, or do resistance training. I have a half marathon in March. My wife and I alternate who gets to workout at the house and who gets to run outside. The stay home person is responsible for any early risers that can’t sleep.

4. Get kids up at 6:30 and get them dressed with breakfast laid out.

5. Get ready for work and leave for hospital between 7-7:15 to make rounds

6. Clinic starts at 8:30.

Click to expand…

What time do you go to sleep?

#181130 Reply

Reply To: Morning Routine

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear