Menu

Morning Routine

Home The Lounge Morning Routine

Participant
    alpha investing

What’s your morning routine like? Exercise? Meditate? Read books? Yoga? Drink coffee and just putter around before work?

I’ve been trying to hit the gym at least 2-3x a week, waking up at 0430, in the gym 0500-0600. If not, I just stretch and kind of meditate in the quiet for a little while at home. 2 cups of coffee are always involved. Curious to hear what y’all do?

#181010 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Coffee, play on internet. Wish I could work fitness in there. Since my main goal is to enjoy coffee it just doesnt seem to fit yet.

#181015 Reply
    Participant

Coffee, run out the door to work ?

#181017 Reply
    Liked by E5797, Peds
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

7:30 snooze alarm x2
    7:48 get out of bed
    drink two glasses of almost-hot water and turn on the drip coffee
    shower, dress, put creamer and coffee in flask
    8:00 leave the house
    8:07 sit at my desk, sip coffee, read, wait for the first patient

I’ve been halfheartedly trying to get up earlier. The problem is that any time I have any obligation hanging over me–such as ‘going to work’–then I can’t really get into doing anything worthwhile. So it does not seem worth it to get up an hour earlier because all that will happen is I’ll just go through the current routine slower.

#181018 Reply
    Liked by portlandia, Tim, E5797, CM, Anne
    Participant

Been considering building a home gym. Seems like a time saver. Our gym is only ~$46/month for the wife and I 24/7… so it’s not as much a cost saving thing vs. time saving.

#181019 Reply
    Liked by E5797
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Up at 430-500 sometimes earlier. Go to gym, bed to elliptical time about 23 minutes. Elliptical 30 minutes, weights 20 minutes. A healthy and fit Fatlittlepig indeed.

#181020 Reply
    Participant

Roll out of bed at 745, shower, first patient at 805.

#181023 Reply
    Liked by portlandia, CM, Anne
    Participant

Coffee.

Everything else is inconsequential.

#181024 Reply
    Participant

Do none of you have kids? I don’t understand these morning routines . . . I get up and shower before kids wake, around 7-7:15. Kids up, get them breakfast, change diaper, pick out clothes for them, make beds. Yell at 10 yo to stop lollygagging, get dressed and brush teeth. Nanny arrives at 8 and takes the kids. I leave for work. Huh, I guess my husband doesn’t do much in the morning either . . . This year I’m waking at 6 on Mondays to run, other days I do it around 2 in the afternoon.

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Up at 430-500 sometimes earlier. Go to gym, bed to elliptical time about 23 minutes. Elliptical 30 minutes, weights 20 minutes. A healthy and fit Fatlittlepig indeed.

Click to expand…

Weights 60min for me. Elliptical and treadmill bore me. Walk dogs 20min/daily too though.

Anyone here build their own home gym? I’d be curious to hear equipment recommendations and such if you have.

#181031 Reply
    Liked by E5797
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Weights 60min for me. Elliptical and treadmill bore me. Walk dogs 20min/daily too though.

Anyone here build their own home gym? I’d be curious to hear equipment recommendations and such if you have.

Click to expand…

I have a little machine across from this dining room which is really a lounge/office. I can see my workout room just feet away from me every morning. It doesn’t motivate me really. Works better in afternoon/night. I think this has more to do with the coffee priority, its not enjoyable if im also getting hot/sweaty.

I get up at 545, go to work at 9, 8 on OR days. I certainly have the time.

#181037 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Weekdays, I wake up at 5:30A (except Tuesday, 6:00), I run 3.5 mi with friends MWF at 6A. Thursday AM, I do stationary bike and weightlifting (home exercise equipment). If weather on MWF is inclimate (cold rain, temp below 20, ice on streets, etc.) I work out inside in home gym. Tuesday is off day from exercise.

On Sat AM, 6 mi run with friends at 7A. Sun AM is spinning with wife at 10:30A.

Coffee, yogurt, granola and fruit for breakfast 6+ days per week. On most days, I walk dogs for 10-15 minutes before leaving for work. I also walk dogs after work and 9-10 PM before bed.

I tried mediating for a while, but I do not think it was benefiting me.

Home gym has treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, and dumb bells. Also has Fathead photo of James Harrison #92 staring down at me.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#181040 Reply
    Liked by RocketBooster
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Do none of you have kids? I don’t understand these morning routines . . . I get up and shower before kids wake, around 7-7:15. Kids up, get them breakfast, change diaper, pick out clothes for them, make beds. Yell at 10 yo to stop lollygagging, get dressed and brush teeth. Nanny arrives at 8 and takes the kids. I leave for work. Huh, I guess my husband doesn’t do much in the morning either . . . This year I’m waking at 6 on Mondays to run, other days I do it around 2 in the afternoon.

Click to expand…

We are at the point where the kids require little for us in the morning (one away at college and the other a junior in HS), and I have a vague memory of what was required. I was able to have the same running schedule for 20 years, so we were able to work it around the kids. I do make my daughter’s lunch a few days per week, while making coffee, feeding dogs, etc.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#181043 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

No routine.  Usually do not set an alarm, but these days usually up by 6AM.  Most often eggs with avocados and cheese.  If If If I’m good about going to the grocery store and buying fresh fruit, throw in a fruit smoothie.  If I’m bad (as was the case this weekend), Campbell’s chunky soup.  Time bike ride to work on temperature, earlier in the summer and later in the winter.

#181047 Reply
    Participant

Wake up at 6, brain starts functioning somewhere between 6:15 and 6:20, not sure what happens in the meantime–maybe I’m meditating haha.  Then 20 minutes to get myself ready, 20 minutes to walk the dog, 20 minutes to do basic housework (make the bed, empty the dishwasher, etc.), at least 10 minutes that disappears into thin air. Leave house around 7:30.  I was fitting breakfast in there but stopped after reading the obesity code and I don’t miss it.  Have coffee at some point in the morning at work usually, I don’t feel it makes much difference in my alertness at that point but I like it so I drink it.

I’ve always preferred working out in the early evening on work days.  I tried waking up at 4:30 for a while to exercise but it felt like a chore, I didn’t enjoy it, and I enjoyed both my mornings and evenings less so I stopped.  I do work out in the mornings on weekends.  Our home gym is a fairly extensive weight machine/setup, our bikes on hydraulic trainers, and the street and running trails.

#181048 Reply

Reply To: Morning Routine

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear