Menu

Mood altering drugs

Home The Lounge Mood altering drugs

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

What do you think the ballpark figure of people on some psychoactive prescription drugs are? SSRI, TCA, Benzo, antipsychotics, etc. The whole enchilada. At some point in their life.

I hazard a guess of 20% currently on something and 33% over lifetime. Especially if excluding children.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#196154 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

How do you define “at some point in their life”?

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#196156 Reply
    Participant

Wouldn’t you have to include opiates??

In which case I would say much closer to 100% since most people have surgery at some point in their lives.

#196157 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I purposely left out opiates for that reason.
    Drugs for the purpose of treating psychiatric disease

#196159 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    Participant

I’m not sure but whatever the number is, it’s not high enough. SO MUCH UNTREATED MENTAL ILLNESS. Poor access to care plus stigma does not lead to the best treatment rates. But I’m biased, as a psychiatrist 😉 We should just put lexapro in the water.

#196164 Reply
    Participant

What do you think the ballpark figure of people on some psychoactive prescription drugs are? SSRI, TCA, Benzo, antipsychotics, etc. The whole enchilada. At some point in their life.

I hazard a guess of 20% currently on something and 33% over lifetime. Especially if excluding children.

Click to expand…

the anesthesiologist gave me ativan prior to the OR.

#196165 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant
    Disability Insurance

We should just put lexapro in the water.

Click to expand…

Haha. Please don’t. 😉

I’d say 15-20% for current use, not sure about lifetime prevalence. I’m a psychiatrist and tend to think psychotropics are generally overprescribed, though I’d agree that access to care issues result in under prescribing in certain populations. We need more skilled psychotherapists in my opinion, not more drugs.

#196174 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Haha. Please don’t. 😉

I’d say 15-20% for current use, not sure about lifetime prevalence. I’m a psychiatrist and tend to think psychotropics are generally overprescribed, though I’d agree that access to care issues result in under prescribing in certain populations. We need more skilled psychotherapists in my opinion, not more drugs.

Click to expand…

I agree with this, as the USA has higher antidepressant Rx rates than anywhere in the world.  I work in a detox unit.  So many of my alcoholic patients are on Lexapro etc, and of course it doesn’t do a damn thing for their mood problems when they are drinking a fifth of whiskey a day.  However, for PCP’s it is much more feasible to write for a cheap Rx than do 10 minutes of motivational interviewing.

I know many psychiatrists are extremely liberal with prescribing antidepressants even if they think it is just for the placebo effect, justifying it because SSRI’s are so benign.  I don’t count myself among them.  Of course they should be prescribed if the patient needs them.  But we used to be a lot more cavalier about prescribing opioids and benzos and now we have a better understanding of the risks of that.

Image result for where in the world are antidepressants most prescribed

FWIW, US suicide rates are about the same or higher than almost all the countries listed (among these, only Korea’s is substantially higher).

#196183 Reply
    Participant

Does a tall glass of beer after a long day in clinic count as a mood-altering drug?

#196208 Reply
    Participant

Does a tall glass of beer after a long day in clinic count as a mood-altering drug?

Click to expand…

I’m guilty of this. How many of you also have a beer after work each day?

#196219 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Haha. Please don’t. 😉

Click to expand…

I agree with this, as the USA has higher antidepressant Rx rates than anywhere in the world.  I work in a detox unit.  So many of my alcoholic patients are on Lexapro etc, and of course it doesn’t do a damn thing for their mood problems when they are drinking a fifth of whiskey a day.  However, for PCP’s it is much more feasible to write for a cheap Rx than do 10 minutes of motivational interviewing.

I know many psychiatrists are extremely liberal with prescribing antidepressants even if they think it is just for the placebo effect, justifying it because SSRI’s are so benign.  I don’t count myself among them.  Of course they should be prescribed if the patient needs them.  But we used to be a lot more cavalier about prescribing opioids and benzos and now we have a better understanding of the risks of that.

FWIW, US suicide rates are about the same or higher than almost all the countries listed (among these, only Korea’s is substantially higher).

Click to expand…

Lithium hit the point I was looking for.  In primary care we do see a lot of people with depression, anxiety,… We also see a lot of people on meds.  Some we started and some we inherited.  What made me think of this is I just saw another patient who came in specifically asking for lexapro.  She was never on it before.  She told me several times that counseling does not work for her and she just needs something to make her feel better.  I just worry that puplic opinion of these drugs are overblown.

But maybe that is good for the placebo effect..

@Peds-  I knew you were a druggy 😛

#196225 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Click to expand…

I’m not a psychiatrist but I do see quite a bit of mental illness and illnesses stemming from mental illness in the ED. I don’t have any numbers but I would agree that most people are quick to go to the script pad. I think we need more cognitive behavioral therapy in the US. Too many people just struggle with dealing with the ups and downs of every day life.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Molar Mechanic Molar Mechanic 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Did it steady your hand?  😉

#196244 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Did it steady your hand?  😉

Click to expand…

if i was a surgeon….

#196248 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    childay childay 
    Participant
    We need more skilled psychotherapists in my opinion, not more drugs.

Click to expand…

Emphasis on skilled.

#196253 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, Tim, Lithium

Reply To: Mood altering drugs

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear