Menu

Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2019

Home Practice Management Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2019

Participant
    #205716 Reply
    Liked by Roentgen
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Pediatrics moving up the compensation chart!

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#205722 Reply
    Participant

peds (almost) bringing up the rear.

#205723 Reply
    Liked by CordMcNally
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

As Family medicine we are just above you but Pediatrics feels they are more fairly compensated!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#205725 Reply
    Participant
    but Pediatrics feels they are more fairly compensated!

Click to expand…

unfortunately as a group we do not stand up for each other and gladly hum along with whatever is presented….#ohwellbacktowork

#205730 Reply
    Participant

As Family medicine we are just above you but Pediatrics feels they are more fairly compensated!

Click to expand…

isn’t this just because of expectations? I would think pediatricians just expect to be the lowest paid docs out there. Maybe they expect to just make $125k so if they get a whopping $150k they feel “holy cow I’m rich now!”

#205731 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    but Pediatrics feels they are more fairly compensated! 

Click to expand…

unfortunately as a group we do not stand up for each other and gladly hum along with whatever is presented….#ohwellbacktowork

We need to stand together!  #Fightfor$15

oh wait I means $150

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#205736 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

I wish medscape would post ranges like the other surveys

#205738 Reply
    Participant

i think the biggest problem with this survey is that it is from just over 19K physicians. in 2016 the estimated census of licensed practicing physicians was just under a million.

ideally wouldn’t it be great if when everyone renews their medical license they input their salary into a deindentified database as part of the renewal process on the website…At least there would be more than 19K data points……

#205743 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant
    Disability Insurance

These surveys have very little use for me. Perhaps a broad ranking of specialties, plus or minus 20%.

The survey is unscientific and the questions and answers leave a lot of room for interpretation.

If I were dong the survey, I would ask:
    1. W-2 plus 1099 comp
    2. Now add retirement contributions not included in 1.
    3. Now add any K-1s for business ventures related to your practice (ie surgicenters, imaging centers, etc.)

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#205747 Reply
    Liked by Tim, ACN, hatton1, q-school
    ACN ACN 

These surveys have very little use for me. Perhaps a broad ranking of specialties, plus or minus 20%.

The survey is unscientific and the questions and answers leave a lot of room for interpretation.

If I were dong the survey, I would ask:
    1. W-2 plus 1099 comp
    2. Now add retirement contributions not included in 1.
    3. Now add any K-1s for business ventures related to your practice (ie surgicenters, imaging centers, etc.)

Click to expand…

The harder questions you ask, the less likely responses you get also.  But this would be perfect in an ideal world.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#205776 Reply
    Liked by Roentgen
    Participant
    Perhaps a broad ranking of specialties, plus or minus 20%. The survey is unscientific and the questions and answers leave a lot of room for interpretation.

Click to expand…

Just noticed the disclosures. They didn’t use self reported data this time! So if they “modeled and estimated on the basis of variables …”

It’s very unclear what is actually used for compensation this time. Maybe it is improved or maybe not. I am sure Medscape has found that drilling down by employer type, region, academic, group, hospital etc. simply resulted in anomalies.

Urology 2019 $408 2018 $373

Psychiatry 2019 $260 2018 $273

The only conclusion one seems to be able to draw is one specialty pays substantial more and the range is +/- 10%. Regional differences are another +/- 10%.

Broad ranges and relative levels gives a “feel” , but that’s about it.

#205860 Reply
    Liked by Roentgen

Reply To: Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2019

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear