Menu

Medical Convention Cancels on San Francisco Because Its Streets Are So Distressi

Home The Lounge Medical Convention Cancels on San Francisco Because Its Streets Are So Distressi

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

“The decision is extraordinary because such events take years to plan. It’s the first time the city has lost a major convention due to visitor discomfort and concerns about safety, according to Joe D’Alessandro, president and chief executive of the San Francisco Travel Association, speaking to the Chronicle. He added that the five-day trade show helps the city generate $40 million from its 15,000 attendees.”

http://fortune.com/2018/07/02/san-francisco-streets-streets-medical-convention/

#135190 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Just my personal anecdote when I was there recently, we stayed in a nice hotel in Union Square and when we’d walk around, it always smelled like piss and weed. I wasn’t too impressed. I could pick up an extra shift if those are the smells I’m after.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Participant

I’ve signed up for an educational course on Head and Neck pathology that’s taking place in San Francisco this October, and I’m planning on just hanging around the hotel.  I visited SF about 8 years ago on a vacation and thought the city was pretty sketchy even then (especially after dark).  I can’t imagine it’s improved over the intervening years.

Suffice it to say I’m going to the course despite where it’s being held, not because of where it’s being held.

#135211 Reply
    Participant

I feel sad for SF. I have been there a few times in the 90’s and loved it. Drove all over the area and even found parking near the Golden Gate area. Times have certainly changed.

#135234 Reply
    Participant

San Francisco still is a nice city. It just depends on what part you are in very much like any other cities.

#135245 Reply
    Liked by Hank
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Very little actually going on here. “Unnamed conference?” That could be some fly-by-night CME operation, I doubt it’s ACS, ACP, ACOG, AOA etc.

If hotel room rates start dropping in SF or the tourism industry really takes a hit we’ll have something to talk about.

#135255 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Loved visiting SF, but I’ve only stayed in hostels, and I may be over that phase.  The last one was in the Tenderloin, in the heart of Skid Row.  These days when I stay in big cities I try to get an AirBnB 10-15 miles out of the middle of town and bike in for exercise.

#135256 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant

Very little actually going on here. “Unnamed conference?” That could be some fly-by-night CME operation, I doubt it’s ACS, ACP, ACOG, AOA etc.

If hotel room rates start dropping in SF or the tourism industry really takes a hit we’ll have something to talk about.

Click to expand…

Apparently a large fly-by-night organization:

“He added that the five-day trade show helps the city generate $40 million from its 15,000 attendees.”

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#135257 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Click to expand…

“He added that the five-day trade show helps the city generate $40 million from its 15,000 attendees.”

Click to expand…

Didn’t see that. So do you think it was one of the big ones?

#135261 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#135263 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

My first visit to SF was for a national scientific conference in the late 80’s. I have been back a handful of times for meetings and vacations. Then and now, I was never impressed. I have been physically accosted by the aggressive homeless, I have not found the city social or restaurant scene to be all that special, the cultural and sports offerings are not unlike other major cities, and the weather sucks. I have visited the historical and cultural highlights that interest me in the past, and I have no desire to ever return. The medical societies that I belong long ago dropped SF from their rotations.

#135277 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

It’s not my favorite city, but was out there each of the past two years and it was fine. I didn’t feel unsafe where I was, but like any city, I think there are pockets of badness. I think the rising costs, particularly housing, coupled with taxes and some of the issues noted in this post/article are reasons why other cities in the west (Vegas, SLS, Portland, Denver) are seeing an influx of people from CA.

#135301 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

*SLC (salt lake city)

#135304 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

I love San Francisco. One of my favorite big cities. That said, I kind of hate big cities. For 2 or 3 days though? Sure, lots of fun.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#135305 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Another article I read said it was a Chicago-based organization.

#135307 Reply

Reply To: Medical Convention Cancels on San Francisco Because Its Streets Are So Distressi

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear