Menu

MD interested in mobile IV hydration side hustle

Home General/Welcome MD interested in mobile IV hydration side hustle

• MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

I see both sides of the argument here. The whole “topping people off” with a red blood cell transfusion already goes on plenty.

Click to expand…

The whole “topping people off” with a red blood cell transfusion already goes on plenty.

Click to expand…

Many hospitals have strict criteria for PRBC to prevent this topping off transfusion. Unless some bigwig wants to flout the rules.

Click to expand…

They do, but in my experience you have to do a lot of work to get medicine docs to not give your asymptomatic post op pts blood. I was just blatantly shocked at how non large academic centers are run and the difference in care, not bad docs, but the style of practice tends to center on the median graduation date of the docs.

Click to expand…

Wow. I have never once seen this in my entire life. Not once.

#232094 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I see both sides of the argument here. The whole “topping people off” with a red blood cell transfusion already goes on plenty.

Click to expand…

The whole “topping people off” with a red blood cell transfusion already goes on plenty.

Click to expand…

Many hospitals have strict criteria for PRBC to prevent this topping off transfusion. Unless some bigwig wants to flout the rules.

Click to expand…

They do, but in my experience you have to do a lot of work to get medicine docs to not give your asymptomatic post op pts blood. I was just blatantly shocked at how non large academic centers are run and the difference in care, not bad docs, but the style of practice tends to center on the median graduation date of the docs.

Click to expand…

Wow. I have never once seen this in my entire life. Not once.

Click to expand…

Are you not in a big city academic center with residents and such? Do your residents moonlight at rural EDs? Ask them about the stuff they see, its wild out there a little removed from the big city academic uni model.

I mean, Im shocked as you are as these kind of things are national model level things, but it is what it is.

#232095 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

I have worked in plenty of those places myself. Just haven’t seen this particular thing.

I would say 90% of transfusions I see are for active acute bleeding. The rest are probably mostly for onc pts w/ bone marrow issues below their known xfusion goals.

I’ve seen plenty of unique/non-academic practice just not this. Damn I’d hate to defend a case of TRALI or something like that for a non-indicated RBC transfusion. That would be impossible.

#232097 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I have worked in plenty of those places myself. Just haven’t seen this particular thing.

I would say 90% of transfusions I see are for active acute bleeding. The rest are probably mostly for onc pts w/ bone marrow issues below their known xfusion goals.

I’ve seen plenty of unique/non-academic practice just not this. Damn I’d hate to defend a case of TRALI or something like that for a non-indicated RBC transfusion. That would be impossible.

Click to expand…

Thats usually what Im thinking, wth is the upside, downside is giant.

#232109 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

To be clear, I think if the OP can draft a viable business plan and has done the appropriate market research and has enough capital raised and has a ROI fitting of the investment risk then by all means go for it.

But. I see this as a highly niche offering and a likely fad. Look at this company:

Hangover Treatment

$280 for an IV hangover treatment? That’s preposterous. While we’ve all “been there” to think that I’d pony up that dough even in the worst of states (thank you, Beast Ice) is absurd. I just don’t see this as a high yield use of time or capital, and the offering itself just seems icky.

#232127 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I thought everybody did what I did which is drink five glasses of water and take 5 ibuprofen and then go to bed. Usually wake up feeling fine.
    This method usually requires me to stay close to a toilet but for much better reasons.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#232130 Reply
    Liked by MPMD, CordMcNally
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I thought everybody did what I did which is drink five glasses of water and take 5 ibuprofen and then go to bed. Usually wake up feeling fine.
    This method usually requires me to stay close to a toilet but for much better reasons.

Click to expand…

If I drank 5 glasses of water right before bed, I would 100% piss myself in my sleep. It wouldn’t matter how close a toilet is.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#232152 Reply
    Participant

I meant like middle age person with hgb of 12 who feels fatigue when I said topped off, not people with actually questionable indications. I truly anticipate this will happen eventually.

#232159 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Click to expand…

it’s like you’ve been right there with me

#232180 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, ENT Doc
    childay childay 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I meant like middle age person with hgb of 12 who feels fatigue when I said topped off, not people with actually questionable indications. I truly anticipate this will happen eventually.

Click to expand…

Blood, unlike water (IVF) remains a limited resource.  ? Thankfully ?  Which means it might be even more profitable..

OP, what sort of town do you live in?  As mentioned location is going to be key.

#232181 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

We used to stock the car with gatorade to crush when we got out of the club. 2 32 oz at least each.

#232244 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Of course endurance athletes absolutely top off the blood, either via blood bags or epo.

Silicon valley types top off with blood of the young, lol, people are so crazy. I guess itd be a failure of capitalism of someone didnt rise to meet the demand.

#232246 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

https://images.app.goo.gl/JvGXemvXiXLj2XdL9

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#232248 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

I think this one has run its course. Closing thread.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#232487 Reply

Reply To: MD interested in mobile IV hydration side hustle

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear