Menu

Making Do

Home The Lounge Making Do

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    Fatlittlepig is way too old to care about what I am wearing or care about what people think about what I’m wearing. I’m not a wasteful person but if a button falls off I’m probably more likely to toss the item then try and repair it.

Click to expand…

You know what is the hardest part of sewing a button? Putting that  thread through the eye of the needle. Not that much difficult than getting a camel through, but close.

If you have the eyesight and can do it, the rest is easy peasy. I have been doing that since my teens and it takes less than 5 mins. Usually I check all the buttons of that shirt when I sew a fallen one so that other loose ones are also strengthened and everything is done in one shot.

#231490 Reply
    Participant

The pin pricks on my index finger usually don’t even need a band aid!

#231497 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

I have been doing that since my teens and it takes less than 5 mins.

Click to expand…

I think that’s key… if it’s a habit you acquired when young, it is no big deal at all (like many other tedious jobs in life). If you grew up in India, it was the way to go, that’s what everyone did. The buttons, after all, were the weakest link in an apparel. And it has stood you in good stead all your life.

Blogging and videocasting about the basics of personal finance at http://physicianfinancebasics.com

#231501 Reply
    Liked by Kamban
    Participant
    Because something is made in Germany doesn’t make it a high quality or well designed item. Because something is made in China doesn’t make it a low quality item.

Click to expand…

In my experience machined goods made in Germany are well constructed and likely to last a long time with routine maintenance. Goods made in China are more iffy and can break down unexpectedly. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule.

When I was looking for a chainsaw about 10 years ago I had the option of a Chinese made Husquana or a German made Stihl which cost $50 more. I choose the latter and it is still going strong today. Same with my leaf blower and other German made products. I would rather pay a bit more and buy well made products.

YMMV

#231502 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant

Past performance is no guarantee of future…..

A ton off assumptions and let’s face it, the world is changing. Global manufacturing has changed in the past 20 years. I agree, quality is an important criteria.

#231509 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant
    Because something is made in Germany doesn’t make it a high quality or well designed item. Because something is made in China doesn’t make it a low quality item. 

Click to expand…

In my experience machined goods made in Germany are well constructed and likely to last a long time with routine maintenance. Goods made in China are more iffy and can break down unexpectedly. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule.

When I was looking for a chainsaw about 10 years ago I had the option of a Chinese made Husquana or a German made Stihl which cost $50 more. I choose the latter and it is still going strong today. Same with my leaf blower and other German made products. I would rather pay a bit more and buy well made products.

YMMV

Click to expand…

The phone you are reading this on was made in China, it could not have been manufactured in the US or in Germany (not just because of labor costs) but due to lack of access to high tech engineering and parts in this country. Of course there are low quality items made in China, but you can’t generalize and paint with such a broad brush.

#231511 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Fatlittlepig is way too old to care about what I am wearing or care about what people think about what I’m wearing. I’m not a wasteful person but if a button falls off I’m probably more likely to toss the item then try and repair it. 

Click to expand…

You know what is the hardest part of sewing a button? Putting that  thread through the eye of the needle. Not that much difficult than getting a camel through, but close.

If you have the eyesight and can do it, the rest is easy peasy. I have been doing that since my teens and it takes less than 5 mins. Usually I check all the buttons of that shirt when I sew a fallen one so that other loose ones are also strengthened and everything is done in one shot.

Click to expand…

Just use one of these.

https://www.sailrite.com/Needle-Threader?gclid=CjwKCAjwscDpBRBnEiwAnQ0HQJsomoI5GxSNI7dEEesdvLzwn4VoqdVw1h0VR-r4y8yPuuwWd7jeVhoC5rUQAvD_BwE

I always fix my own stuff.  If it is something I like I will fix a button or small hole.  If it is something I am indifferent towards or have too much of I toss it.

Right now the shirt I am wearing has a button that I fixed and the pocket corner came loose and I had to shore that up with a few stitches.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#231516 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Good thing T-shirt’s don’t have buttons because that’s pretty much all Fatlittlepig wears outside of work.

#231518 Reply
    Participant
    The phone you are reading this on was made in China, it could not have been manufactured in the US or in Germany (not just because of labor costs) but due to lack of access to high tech engineering and parts in this country.

Click to expand…

For electronics we might have no choice now.

But for things like tools and machined items, German engineering still rules. It is expensive but you pay for quality.

#231526 Reply
    Participant

I had this exact discussion with my wife last week. My cargo shorts are now twenty years old. No holes. My wife wants me to get new shorts. Im like, why? So many pockets! Yes ! If I get new skinny shorts I might need a fanny pack/bum bag. No bueno.

Click to expand…

If it helps, fanny packs are back in style!

Although I admit I’d rather my husband wear his stupid cargo shorts than a fanny pack.

#231550 Reply
    Liked by Anne, hatton1
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Says who!?!?!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#231571 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I have several Patagonia jackets that I bought > 20 years ago.  I have sent one in for a repair.  I have lots of tools that I inherited from my Dad.  I have a couple of nice dresses from the 50s that belonged to my Mom. I actually interviewed for Med school in one of them.  They do not make clothes like that now.  I love antique furniture also.  I think an appreciation for vintage clothes and antique furniture is recycling and re-purposing.  You can really get creative repurposing antiques.

#231573 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Says who!?!?!

Click to expand…

They’re called belt bags but all the major fashion brands sell them now- you can spend over 1k on a Gucci fanny pack! Plus they’re at fast fashion places like forever 21. Look around next time you’re out, I promise you will see teens wearing fanny packs.

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/c/belt-bags?sort=Boosted&storeAvailability=73&brand=1026

#231589 Reply
    Participant
    My cargo shorts are now twenty years old. 

Click to expand…

My wife does not care that my shorts are old.  She just makes fun of me for continuing to wear cargo shorts.

Image result for cargo shorts meme

Click to expand…

How’d you post that picture?

#231591 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Says who!?!?!

Click to expand…

They’re called belt bags but all the major fashion brands sell them now- you can spend over 1k on a Gucci fanny pack! Plus they’re at fast fashion places like forever 21. Look around next time you’re out, I promise you will see teens wearing fanny packs.

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/c/belt-bags?sort=Boosted&storeAvailability=73&brand=1026

Click to expand…

i knew it!  i’m fashion forward.

#231592 Reply

Reply To: Making Do

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear