Menu

Making Do

Home The Lounge Making Do

Participant

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-life-changing-magic-of-making-do/

I came across this article and it described the way I view material goods better than I ever could.  What others probably view as frugality I view as the avoidance of waste.  This has increased in the past 10 years as I’ve become more set in my ways and know what I like style wise.  I tend to fix things and if I like an item of clothing I will wear it to its death.  For household objects, I would rather pay several times as much for something that will last forever than buy something cheap that will just go to a landfill in a few years.  When I “need” something I tend to see if something I already have will make an ok substitute before I go buy something new.  I actually feel that way about experiences too–e.g. when on a trip I’d rather do one activity a day and really take my time with it than jump from activity to activity…also would rather spend a week in a city than do a grand tour of a country over the same time period.

Anyways, I thought it was a great article and that some of you might enjoy it too so wanted to share.

Participant

For some items I pay a high price for things that last a long time – especially if they are made in Germany.

For things that I won’t use often or am unsure if it will break down within a year and not be repairable ( eg. microwave) I buy a medium or lower priced item. Especially if the top end and lower end are both made in China.

#231064 Reply
    FunkDoc83 FunkDoc83 
    Participant

Anne, I wish your thread had read “Making Dough($$$)”  instead

#231069 Reply
    Liked by Anne
    Participant

Anne, I wish your thread had read “Making Dough($$$)”  instead

Click to expand…

Haha!  That’s the beauty of it–if you appreciate making do you don’t have to make so much dough!

#231071 Reply
    uptoolate uptoolate 
    Participant

Yes agree. A good article. And a fun comments section as well. Parents born during the depression and two Scottish grandparents – no need to say more!

#231084 Reply
    Participant

When my husband complained about how expensive our emeco navy chairs were, I told him not to worry, they’d be passed on to our grandkids. I love timeless design. Now that we are able, I really do try to buy less and to purchase things that will last or made of sustainable or recyclable materials.

#231087 Reply
    Liked by Anne
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

For some items I pay a high price for things that last a long time – especially if they are made in Germany.

For things that I won’t use often or am unsure if it will break down within a year and not be repairable ( eg. microwave) I buy a medium or lower priced item. Especially if the top end and lower end are both made in China.

Click to expand…

Because something is made in Germany doesn’t make it a high quality or well designed item. Because something is made in China doesn’t make it a low quality item.

#231243 Reply
    Liked by Panscan, Nysoz
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

I had this exact discussion with my wife last week. My cargo shorts are now twenty years old. No holes. My wife wants me to get new shorts. Im like, why? So many pockets! Yes ! If I get new skinny shorts I might need a fanny pack/bum bag. No bueno.

#231246 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    My cargo shorts are now twenty years old.

Click to expand…

My wife does not care that my shorts are old.  She just makes fun of me for continuing to wear cargo shorts.

Image result for cargo shorts meme

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#231252 Reply
    uptoolate uptoolate 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Even better than cargo shorts are the pair of pants I got in London on one of my recent trips to Africa when I realized I was a little light on ‘dress pants’. Space age no-iron, instant dry olive -drab fabric with many pockets and zip off lower legs.  So I could wear for work and teaching and have cargo shorts when needed! Sweet.

#231255 Reply
    Liked by Anne, G, Lordosis
    Participant

Classics are never out of style. Missed Prime Day though (again).
    https://www.amazon.com/70s-bell-bottoms-men/s?k=70s+bell+bottoms+for+men

#231266 Reply
    Participant

My husband has the ugliest pair of zip off leg cargo pants I have ever seen. I’m pretty sure he’s a time traveler from 1999. In fact, I think I’ve seen pictures from 1999 where he’s wearing them. But when he wears them he carries all my stuff in his pockets so it works for me.

I had a friend recently tell me she was giving a shirt to goodwill because she didn’t know how to sew on a button. Egads. I taught her.

#231356 Reply

My husband has the ugliest pair of zip off leg cargo pants I have ever seen. I’m pretty sure he’s a time traveler from 1999. In fact, I think I’ve seen pictures from 1999 where he’s wearing them. But when he wears them he carries all my stuff in his pockets so it works for me.

Click to expand…

What?  Zip off leg cargo pants are awesome!  Form and function, all in one! 😛

#231374 Reply
    Liked by q-school, G
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Fatlittlepig is way too old to care about what I am wearing or care about what people think about what I’m wearing. I’m not a wasteful person but if a button falls off I’m probably more likely to toss the item then try and repair it.

#231375 Reply
    Participant

Fatlittlepig is way too old to care about what I am wearing or care about what people think about what I’m wearing. I’m not a wasteful person but if a button falls off I’m probably more likely to toss the item then try and repair it.

Click to expand…

How long do you think it takes to replace a button on a dress shirt?

Also every dry cleaner I’ve ever used does buttons.  I rarely take stuff to the dry cleaners, but if I need a button sewn on that’s my go to solution if I don’t need it immediately.

#231453 Reply

Reply To: Making Do

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear