Menu

List- Ridiculously High income doctors

Home The Lounge List- Ridiculously High income doctors

Participant

notice how some of these are at same hospital which clearly are the ones that allow shady behavior, such as having an LPN as your assistant.

is this list including all of NY state or just NYC area? If it includes all of NY state and all of them are in NYC area that would also seem shady to me. seems like the medical stuff in NYC is shady in general. was told when applying for residency that residents have to draw their own labs, nurses don’t follow orders etc

#205856 Reply
    Participant

notice how some of these are at same hospital which clearly are the ones that allow shady behavior, such as having an LPN as your assistant.

is this list including all of NY state or just NYC area? If it includes all of NY state and all of them are in NYC area that would also seem shady to me. seems like the medical stuff in NYC is shady in general. was told when applying for residency that residents have to draw their own labs, nurses don’t follow orders etc

Click to expand…

I’m not sure having an LPN assistant is necessarily considered shady. I don’t see the benefit except that possibly it’s someone he trained to do things exactly his way and he trusted.  I assisted with outpatient procedures in a family members office for a summer job in college.  I wasn’t officially trained, but they told me what to do and it’s not hard.  What about docs doing a weekend seminar to learn cosmetics or those who practice beyond their scope of training. I’m not sure either if NYC is particularly shady or what they’re doing is abnormal.  Florida has some weird stuff as do many places I’ve come across.  It’s apparent across medicine and elsewhere.  Anytime money is involved it happens.  One person’s shady is another’s normal.  Credit card hacking and manufactured spending could be considered shady.  Look at the WSJ physician reimbursements.  Family med doctors raking in multi-millions.  Is leveraging midlevels to increase your revenue shady? What about marketing (pharma, hospitals, etc.), billing and coding, homeopathy and so on.  I’ve heard stories of hospitals doing shady things to boost their numbers, US news ranking and reputation.  In NYC there’s a cardiologist (who gets paid millions too) who’s dept has suspiciously insane volumes.  I too have heard of the scut NYC residents have to deal with, again I don’t consider it shady so much as just the general culture/attitude of that area.

#206004 Reply
    Participant

Could you share the link where you found the list? It seems that the list only includes NYC physicians. I’d be curious to know how it looks in the rest of the country. I recognize several names on the list, and clearly these salaries are mostly coming from administration duties/leadership positions. Nothing wrong with that in principle.

As a side note, if you’d ask one of those guys on the list about the FIRE movement, I wonder what they’d say.

#206108 Reply
    Participant

I would speculate none of them would intend to FIRE, despite the clear ability to do so. When you reach that level, it’s not about money. It’s about ego. I suspect bye majority on that list have their entire identity in their job. The job is not the means to the end, as it is in FIRE, but rather the job is the end. It’s who they are. I’ll never be on a list like that, and I’m 100% fine with it. In fact I would prefer not to have my job define my self.

#206124 Reply
    Liked by Antares, Zaphod
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Those are the winners of life.  They are not grateful for the big incomes.  They are the career jumpers.  They are looking for the next bigger job.   There is no thought of retirement in them.

#206135 Reply
    Participant
    Could you share the link where you found the list? It s

Click to expand…

It is a pdf so the best option I could see was this link on a google search

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20170411/HEALTH_CARE/170419966/doctors-at-catholic-health-services-hospitals-among-the-highest-paid-in-new-york

In it click on the hyperlink in the middle of the article.

#206144 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Tim
    Participant
    #206320 Reply
    Participant

I would speculate none of them would intend to FIRE, despite the clear ability to do so. When you reach that level, it’s not about money. It’s about ego. I suspect bye majority on that list have their entire identity in their job. The job is not the means to the end, as it is in FIRE, but rather the job is the end. It’s who they are. I’ll never be on a list like that, and I’m 100% fine with it. In fact I would prefer not to have my job define my self.

Click to expand…

Agree with this.  It’s the same reason why hedgies worth $200M don’t quit the game.  They like the stress, challenge, and ego that come with the job

#206321 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant

Does this mean I should stay in NYC? I hope IBR is done before pulling those numbers down. 🙂

This list clearly excludes non-practicing physician executives and maybe some folks that are full time MD researchers. No reason to begrudge. I would bet some of these folks don’t have enviable work-life ratios.

#207035 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Manhattan has a lot of MDs who don’t take any kind of “health insurance.” If you run a cash only practice, which people flock to from all over the world (Russian oligarchs, oil sheikhs, various royalty from around the world, New York trust fund babies, hedge fund managers, heirs to the greatest fortunes ever made in our country, etc..), if you run such a cash-only practice you can make that kind of money through your clinical work. It usually requires having an important title at a place like sloan-Kettering or the Hospital for special surgery.

Click to expand…

Not quite. Most psychiatrists I know in NYC have cash-only practices. Many, like me, have no fancy institutional title at all. There’s a long possibly boring explanation, but important elements  are the numbers of practitioners vs patients, regional socioeconomics, a culture of valuing mental health services, and a consequent large disparity between insurance reimbursements and private fees.

Incidentally, while I know a few psychiatrists in NYC who are making close to 7 figures from clinical work working long hours in high-priced practices run like well-oiled machines (no, I have no interest in what that would require), the few I know who are making the most are indeed the physician-executives or physician-administrators. I thank god that is not my fate.

Edited to add: Oh – and a few who are highly successful in the pharmaceutical industry.

#207036 Reply

Reply To: List- Ridiculously High income doctors

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear