Menu

Life sentence for opioid death

Home The Lounge Life sentence for opioid death

Participant

Cases like these make oncologists hesitant on prescribing pain medicines for patients who are in dire need of them. These attorneys who are proud to send a “message” to the medical community have caused many thousands of cancer patients suffer, when their doctor refuses to write opiates out of fear of persecution.

#197187 Reply
    Participant

Cases like these make oncologists hesitant on prescribing pain medicines for patients who are in dire need of them. These attorneys who are proud to send a “message” to the medical community have caused many thousands of cancer patients suffer, when their doctor refuses to write opiates out of fear of persecution.

Click to expand…

How is that in any way connected?

#197192 Reply
    Liked by StateOfMyHead
    Participant

Click to expand…

How is that in any way connected?

Click to expand…

You should read the title of this thread.

#197196 Reply
    Participant

This is a very disturbing precedent for me. I can mentally get to manslaughter-reckless disregard for another’s safety-but murder is an awfully hard pill to swallow.

#197205 Reply
    ACPC ACPC 
    Participant
    However, it is still making a doctor responsible for the poor decisions of the pt, ie, taking too much and with other substances as well. I have to agree thats a precedent that should be fought tooth and nail.

Click to expand…

I agree with Zaphod – there needs to be a concerted effort to fight this precedent, even though the prescribing Dr is clearly a dirtbag.

Letting non-medically-trained lawyers and activist judges (sorry to use loaded phrase, but it’s appropriate here) dictate our prescribing practices and sentence one of ours to jail is not good for any of us. We should be the ones going after this guy and those like him (preferably led by an MD-JD). Maybe an MD-led governmental commission.

Either that, or we need to make obtaining a license to prescribe opioids so onerous that there will be designated folks at each hospital who do careful background checks of each patient and do all prescriptions, while the rest of us can justify not prescribing them ourselves and deferring serious pain management to consults. This is what we did at my last hospital, but the threshold was lido drips, not PO opioids.

#197222 Reply
    Participant
    Either that, or we need to make obtaining a license to prescribe opioids so onerous that there will be designated folks at each hospital who do careful background checks of each patient and do all prescriptions, while the rest of us can justify not prescribing them ourselves and deferring serious pain management to consults.

Click to expand…

you’re being facetious, I hope?  I wrote one script for opiates last night, 16 tablets of norco, a gal with a displaced clavicle fracture, no ER visit history, no Rx on the database.  yeah, I recommended ibuprofen, ice, sling, but I’m pretty sure that 1) opiates might help 2) I’m not gonna get an opioid consult sat night.

You should read the title of this thread.

Click to expand…

the context of this case is important.  perhaps I’m a pollyanna, but a good doctor trying to do the right thing is not going to have this outcome.

#197260 Reply
    Liked by LiquidAlchemy
    Participant

This was a med student of mine….

https://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Additional_Charges_Filed_Against_Dr_Robert_Rand-430202783.html

It seems to be happening more and more…

Must document your reasoning for narcotics/benzos and justify the # given in the medical record.

#197278 Reply
    Participant

Must document your reasoning for narcotics/benzos and justify the # given in the medical record.

Click to expand…

what justification is used for “more than 2000 painkillers a month”…?

i for one and happy more and more of these doctors are being found out. this is crazy.

#197283 Reply
    Liked by CordMcNally
    Participant
    i for one and happy more and more of these doctors are being found out. this is crazy.

Click to expand…

those of us who look at what patients are getting can see 1) who are the suspicious doctors and 2) who are the suspicious patients.  nobody with authority cares until the wrong/right family is affected or a journalist picks up the story.

believe me, I’ve called the cops in both situations and nothing happens.  (aside from the fact that I waste a bunch of time during which I likely have alarmingly elevated blood pressure.)

#197289 Reply
    Participant
    believe me, I’ve called the cops in both situations and nothing happens.

Click to expand…

keep fighting the good fight.

#197292 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Click to expand…

I don’t think I could eat 2000 M&Ms in a month…but I’m willing to try.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#197293 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Yes, obviously there is no justification for 2000+ per month.

I rarely give Rx for narcotics but when I do I rarely give more than 30 and even more rarely will I refill it. Mainly just for surgeries. Sorry PCPs… but I punt to you!

#197309 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

5 days of tramadol for 6 years for surgical pts, no refills. Interesting to see what happens at my new gig, assume they use a lot stronger and longer…

#197317 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Mainly just for surgeries. Sorry PCPs… but I punt to you!

Click to expand…

And if I feel there pain is related to the surgery that they had in the last month I punt them right back 😛

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#197762 Reply
    Participant
    And if I feel there pain is related to the surgery that they had in the last month I punt them right back

Click to expand…

As you should… but my surgeries are so minimally invasive, they hardly need narcotic pain meds (Ibuprofen and Tylenol work)…. luckily I am not ortho!

#198008 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

Reply To: Life sentence for opioid death

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear