Menu

Life sentence for opioid death

Home The Lounge Life sentence for opioid death

Participant

Has anyone posted this yet? It sounds like the doctor was doing some shady stuff and probably should not practice medicine anymore, but a life sentence for prescribing medications that should not have resulted in death if taken as prescribed? I don’t know about y’all, but that scares me. I don’t want to be responsible for my patients taking their meds inappropriately, you know?

https://www-nbcnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna981291?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcnews.com%2Fnews%2Fus-news%2Fkansas-doctor-sentenced-life-prison-patient-death-n981291

#197009 Reply
    Participant

I don’t want to be responsible for my patients taking their meds inappropriately, you know?

Click to expand…

then dont write prescriptions in return for cash, postdate prescriptions, write them without a medical need/legitimate medical exam, conspire to distribute prescription drugs outside the course of your medical practice, unlawfully distribute various prescription drugs, present false patient records to investigators, obstruct justice, or money launder and you should be fine.

i am 100% ok with this. terrible physicians need to be stopped.

also i thought opioid + benzo was a contraindication?

also also vaccinate your kids!

#197011 Reply
    Participant

There is no absolute contraindication for opiate plus benzo but I didn’t think anyone did methadone or Suboxone with benzo.

I am fine with the physician facing consequences for what he did but life in prison is extreme when the court said the person would not have died if he took as prescribed. He can be stopped without being put away forever. If this is the standard, how do we give patients anything in more than a one day supply where we watch them take the med? Pretty much any medication can kill when taken in higher than prescribed quantities.

#197015 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

The doctor is an idiot but he’s not directly responsible for the death. He’s guilty of a lot of crimes but murdering that person isn’t one of them. But, then again, it is 2019 and the days of personal responsibility are far behind us.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Participant

Yup Tylenol #1 or 2 cause of pediatric liver transplant….no Rx needed.

It’s definitely all around a bad situation. I don’t know what the perfect answer is…but this is at least an answer.

#197022 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

There are many rapists and murderers getting much less. Stupid.

#197023 Reply
    Participant

It seems it was well demonstrated that he was not even trying to act in the best interest of the patient.  The situation surrounding the prescribing matters.

If you are going to prescribe benzos to someone on opiates, you need to have pretty detailed documentation of the reasoning why this is absolutely necessary, communication with other prescribing doctors if you are not prescribing both meds, and documentation of the patient’s education and understanding of the risk.  And a documented plan for when/how to discontinue in the future as appropriate.  To piggyback on a prior thread, I would really recommend checking the database in this situation whether your state requires it or not.

#197025 Reply
    abds abds 
    Participant

This isn’t a case of overprescribing or irresponsibly prescribing meds. He was taking cash kickbacks for narcotic prescriptions. He was a drug dealer with a medical license. The sentence is fine with me.

#197028 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD, Peds
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Agree he was a drug dealer with a medical license. However, it is still making a doctor responsible for the poor decisions of the pt, ie, taking too much and with other substances as well. I have to agree thats a precedent that should be fought tooth and nail.

Do you want to be prosecuted because your pt you gave ambien for sleepy time used it while out drinking and killed a family driving? Etc…no way. The sentence should be tied with the actual crimes, which maybe there was enough to go away for life without making it the OD.

FunkDoc83 FunkDoc83 
    Participant

Time to find better ways to treat anxiety/depression/pain.  I hope in the future, 50 yrs from now or less,  we’ll look back and say ” I can’t believe we used to give narcotics, benzos, etc. for anxiety/depression/pain.”

#197043 Reply
    Participant

Time to find better ways to treat anxiety/depression/pain.  I hope in the future, 50 yrs from now or less,  we’ll look back and say ” I can’t believe we used to give narcotics, benzos, etc. for anxiety/depression/pain.”

Click to expand…

Although I don’t think this guy was trying to treat anything.  He was trying to make easy $.  50 years from now people will still be trying to make easy $.

What is the fair penalty for someone trying to make a quick buck with an illegal strategy that has high risk to end in someone’s death?  I don’t know.

#197047 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant
    #197053 Reply
    Liked by jhwkr542, Zaphod
    portlandia portlandia 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

So under this rationale, all “street pharmacists” will now be getting life sentences too when their “patients” die from overdose? What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

#197099 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

at least we can agree this is totally fine  :S

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/09/politics/judge-ts-ellis-paul-manafort-sentence/index.html

Click to expand…

That judge…his record elsewhere is not looking good and is going to get much heat for that and rightly so.

#197169 Reply
    Liked by jhwkr542
    Participant

He should have just stabbed the guy in his office and robbed him. Probably would’ve only gotten 20 years.

#197185 Reply
    Liked by portlandia

Reply To: Life sentence for opioid death

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear