Menu

Landscaping costs?

Home General/Welcome Landscaping costs?

• hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I have had 5 acres on a lake.  Expensive to cut.  Minimal landscaping because of my fear of attracting snakes.  Now I have a very tiny but heavily landscaped yard in a “planned community”.  $165/month to mow, weed, fertilize, prune.  I love to plant my own perennials and annuals.  You want to keep up your yard like your neighbors do.  Some neighborhoods the lots will look like golf courses and others are wooded and others stress blooming shrubs and perennials. My neighborhood has an emphasis on native plants, blooming shrubs, evergreens that are all adapted to the summer heat.

#214204 Reply
    FunkDoc83 FunkDoc83 
    Participant

It’s true.  I have 2 acres.  We spend a few thousand every year on mowing, fertilizing, irrigation, mulch, plants etc….You will want your doctor house to look nice and have landscaping, so budget that in when you build or purchase a home.

#214212 Reply
    Participant

I’m in a MCOL area, it’s $40/mow for about 1/3 acre lot. The initial mulching was ~$300 and we pay ~$300/year for fertilizing/weedkilling. We don’t go crazy with the gardens. We’re okay with a B- yard- not the best lawn on the street but nowhere near the worst.

I mowed our lawn up until this year because I didn’t necessarily mind and it was forced exercise, but after having baby #2 in March we decided to hire it out. They say money can’t buy happiness- I disagree. Seeing the lawn service just take care of everything definitely makes me happy!

#214216 Reply
    Participant

“desert landscaping” rocks!

Click to expand…

Haha. I’m wondering if there is an equivalent low maintenance/eco-friendly landscape option in the midwest. There are a bunch of quarries around here, so I’m sure there are native rock landscapes (but I haven’t seen any).

#214220 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Mine was $32/mow, about .25-.3 acres, I do it myself now. I do pay about $300/year for fertilizer and typically buy about $350 worth of mulch which I lay down myself.

#214246 Reply
    Participant
    For those who live near wooded areas… if the idea is to have relative seclusion, would there be a lot of maintenance involved other than removing downed trees? Or would it mostly be vermin control? I’m looking at a house on 5 acres in a mostly wooded area.

Click to expand…

I should be moving to a 5 acre property in 3 months or so. It is wooded in the back with a tributary of a river as the rear boundary. So is boggy from halfway through. It will become too expensive to clear the underbrush, fallen trees and make the area less boggy. That might disturb the wildlife there which include deer, turkeys and most likely, snakes. I will let the fallen trees rot and provide nutrition to new growth

My plan is just to landscape the 1 acre around the house. Grass in the front and flower beds in the rear and possibly a vegetable garden. Gardening is an expensive hobby, whether you do it yourself or farm it out to others.

#214252 Reply
    Participant

I do pay about $300/year for fertilizer

Click to expand…

I currently have a similar acreage. After a couple of disastrous years with a couple of Turf companies that charged $200/ year just to spray 5 times a year that did nothing much to the weeds, I decided to get the Scott’s rebranded 4 step program, sold by ACE hardware under its name. Usually $65 for the 4 pack, with discount of $10 given each year. Covers 5000 sq feet. Since I started using it my yard has been free of weeks ( except occasional ones that I pluck out) and the Bermuda grass grows so well that I may have to mow it weekly in summer. Each bag holds enough to give 2 applications and so I use them all between Feb and Nov, here in the South east.

For the roses, tomatoes, Okra, blackberries, other flowering plants – all get the usual generic 10-10-10 fertilizer and do just fine.

#214258 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

I used to use milorganite and it was good. My issue was that we inherited a not so great lawn from the previous owners and it needed some tlc. I have considered doing it myself again and may in the future. It took me 15 minutes per application.

#214260 Reply
    Liked by Kamban, Craigy
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

For those of you with big lots, how much do you spend on landscaping? I don’t currently own a house (maybe in the next 5 years) and I think I want a decent amount of land, probably one acre or more. I frequently get told this is going to cost me thousands of dollars in landscaping a year but I really don’t understand why. I can see an upfront cost if I’m putting in sod and get a professional to help me decide where to plant trees and flowers and such, but what are the continual expenses? It can’t just be cutting the grass because if that’s all i’ll Just do it myself. What am I missing?

Click to expand…

It doesn’t have to cost you a lot, but it’ll have a pretty decent minimum cost even for DIY.

For an acre you’re going to want a pretty decent mower and trimmer, which you have to fuel and maintain.  Any sort of fert applications are going to have to cover 40k+ feet, which adds up.  Instead of buying a bag once a year, you’re going to be buying multiple bags for a single app.  Irrigation alone can add a hundred/mo to your water bill.

If you’re doing flower beds, etc., this is really a ton of work you probably don’t want to do.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#214267 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    They say money can’t buy happiness- I disagree. Seeing the lawn service just take care of everything definitely makes me happy!

Click to expand…

“’Money doesn’t buy happiness.’ Uh, do you live in America? ‘Cause it buys a WaveRunner. Have you ever seen a sad person on a WaveRunner? Have you? Seriously, have you? Try to frown on a WaveRunner. You can’t!”

– Daniel Tosh

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#214279 Reply
    Participant

Around us… 4000 sq/ft of lawn costs ~40/week to mow/trim.

#214328 Reply
    Liked by FIREshrink
    uptoolate uptoolate 
    Participant

The sky is the limit on a ‘large’ urban piece of property. We have an acre with a stream running through it and only 1/3 is grass with 2/3 forest/meadow but have still managed to spend more than 250k in hardscaping over the 25 years we have had it and could easily do that again on the watercourse if we really wanted it to look good.  I mow my own grass, plant and tend my own beds and prune and fell smaller shrubs and trees but big trees are now beyond me so even yearly it can add up quite quickly.  Really looking forward to downsizing!

#214335 Reply
    Participant

I have a friend who has 5 acres, he pays $700 per month 12 mo per year for lawn maintenance. Just the lawn (about 3 ac of it). Not the shrubs, trees, garden. No perennials, no annuals, no pruning. Not the veggie garden or the orchard. Just the lawn.

#214341 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    Participant

Few people have mentioned the cost of putting a yard in.  about 1/3 of the houses in our neighborhood have yet to put in a yard.  To put grass in costs at least 10k.  The guy up the street got a quote for his yard at 150k, probably only .7 acres.  Needless to say, he is doing it himself and only a little at a time.

As per the yearly upkeep.  The start up costs are a few big purchases, like the robotic lawnmower I just bought, and death by a thousand papercuts for everything else.

#214374 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, FIREshrink
    Participant
    I have a friend who has 5 acres, he pays $700 per month 12 mo per year for lawn maintenance. Just the lawn (about 3 ac of it). Not the shrubs, trees, garden. No perennials, no annuals, no pruning. Not the veggie garden or the orchard. Just the lawn.

Click to expand…

3 acres is manageable with a large riding mower or a small tractor with a bush hog. I used to the latter on my 5 acre lot years ago(3 acre grass/weed), borrowing the tractor and bushhog for  a couple of hours and it could easily do that in under a hour. Twice a month should be enough to mow the lawn well. And may not need that in winter.

#214396 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse

Reply To: Landscaping costs?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear