Menu

Kaiser Limits on Side Gigs

Home General/Welcome Kaiser Limits on Side Gigs

Participant

I want to get started with some side gig. Read through Side Hustle Scrubs’ extensive list and thought some of those could be relatively “easy” to do but not sure what is kosher from the Kaiser perspective.

Would reviewing medical charts for Utilization be a no-no? Would testifying in court as a medical witness be a no-no? How about giving paid lectures for CME? Working for a pharmaceutical company? Creating a medical app? I’ve heard of colleagues reviewing cases for the state medical board – isn’t that a version of using our medical license? What can and can’t I do as a Kaiser doc?

For the Kaiser docs on this forum, what sort of side gigs are you doing? Are any of them borderline medical or scientific?

#219066 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Side gigs are dumb. If you want more money work more units. Otherwise enjoy your free time.

#219070 Reply
    Participant

But I don’t want to do more of the same, I want to branch out and try other stuff. The variety of work makes it more likely that I would continue doing it long-term, as opposed to working 11/10ths or 12/10ths at my current job long term. I just don’t want to be penalized by Kaiser for doing so.

Plus if there is a way for creating my own business, I can start tax deducting more.

#219072 Reply
    Participant

Working a second or third job that pays less than your primary job is not an efficient use of your time. If money’s the issue work an extra couple of units a month or more, otherwise enjoy your time off. Side gigs or side hustles are not meant for highly paid physicians.

#219074 Reply
    Liked by JWeb, HandFellow
    Participant

Working a second or third job that pays less than your primary job is not an efficient use of your time. If money’s the issue work an extra couple of units a month or more, otherwise enjoy your time off. Side gigs or side hustles are not meant for highly paid physicians.

Click to expand…

What are your thoughts on this website as a side gig?  I guess WCI should have just worked more ER shifts.

#219075 Reply
    Participant

Let’s say you are making 200/hr doing your doctor job, why in the world would you on your precious time off go and review charts for the medical board for 75/hr. I’m making up the numbers but you get the point. If you want more money do more doctoring. The whole side hustle thing is just really dumb.

#219079 Reply
    Participant

But I don’t want to do more of the same, I want to branch out and try other stuff. The variety of work makes it more likely that I would continue doing it long-term, as opposed to working 11/10ths or 12/10ths at my current job long term. I just don’t want to be penalized by Kaiser for doing so.

Plus if there is a way for creating my own business, I can start tax deducting more.

Click to expand…

cocovaii, I missed the part where you were asking for opinions and judgment about the use of your non-kaiser time.

oh wait, you didn’t ask for that….  😉

good luck finding something that scratches your itch and doesn’t run afoul of The Man

#219080 Reply
    Participant

Because some side hustles can be done in the comfort of your home while watching TV OR can lead to newer better opportunities OR be done at your pace, whether that is 15min at a time or all day long. There is freedom in that choice.

This is opposed to doing more units at work that require you to drive in at hours you might not want to and commit yourself to an 8-12 hour block of time. And frankly maybe I want to earn more but don’t want to spend more time at work.

#219082 Reply
    Liked by wonka31
    Participant

Hehe…

I appreciate the encouragement, G

#219083 Reply
    Participant

Let’s say you are making 200/hr doing your doctor job, why in the world would you on your precious time off go and review charts for the medical board for 75/hr. I’m making up the numbers but you get the point. If you want more money do more doctoring. The whole side hustle thing is just really dumb.

Click to expand…

I think you may have missed my question.  What are your thoughts on this website as a side gig?  It sounds like you’re saying it was really dumb.  Can you explain that further?

#219087 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Participant

Anything related to medicine has to be cleared by admin, but most likely the things you asked about you’ll get “no” for an answer.

Anything unrelated to medicine (like if you’re in a band or something) is probably fine.

I think most people work for Kaiser because they don’t really want to work side gigs, but I could be wrong.

#219093 Reply
    Participant

Right, if it’s medical and potentially license related– probably not a good thing stir the pot with ‘The Man’.

@ar – WCI would probably be quite acceptable IMHO.

Frankly, any Kaiser doc not fully throttled by the time you get home — you’re a machine.

#219096 Reply
    Participant

Frankly, this is rather hilarious. Can we shift gears to time as the currency.
    Work/play/sleep = 24 hours
    Side gigs use time. Time translates into money. If your objective is money, the odds of success favor a payoff from left to right. Side gigs that simply trade your time for money, generally pay less and disappear. Using your time to build an income or alternate career is diversification. Smart. A business plan.
    Some NFL players become physicians.
    Some physicians become NBA owners, real estate investors, and website owners. The odds though are relatively small. Side gigs eat into play and sleep time.
    Keep your day job is usually pretty sound advice.
    Just saying 24 hours in a day.

#219152 Reply
    Participant

I am not sure about the medical app but the rest of it looks like you would require the permission of Kaiser. Especially things like pharma talks or reviewing charts.

#219155 Reply
    Participant

Because some side hustles can be done in the comfort of your home while watching TV OR can lead to newer better opportunities OR be done at your pace, whether that is 15min at a time or all day long. There is freedom in that choice.

This is opposed to doing more units at work that require you to drive in at hours you might not want to and commit yourself to an 8-12 hour block of time. And frankly maybe I want to earn more but don’t want to spend more time at work.

Click to expand…

you must be a newer physician. i think you will soon realize how precious your free time is. trust me, you are not going to want to spend your non work time trying to scrounge for some extra dollars. the amount of money you make as a physician is so large that an extra shift or two will be more than you could ever make doing any sort of silly side hustle. to the poster referencing a blog or website as a side hustle, again very silly, vast vast majority of blogs make peanuts or (no peanuts) again very poor use of your time if your intention is to make extra dough.

#219174 Reply

Reply To: Kaiser Limits on Side Gigs

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear