Menu

Job Interview expense-reimbursement taxable?

Home Tax Reduction Job Interview expense-reimbursement taxable?

• jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Is reimbursement taxable differently or as ordinary income?

Click to expand…

No.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#220167 Reply
    Participant

How does the employer (not yours specifically) view the expense. I’m assuming any hiring process is considered a business expense that they report to the IRS from their end.

Where i’m employed, they bought plane tickets, booked rental car and hotel, and set up the second site visit after I signed the contract (HR, housing stuff). Essentially, no money ever directly passed through me.

The other interviews I took I drove to. More traditional private practice gigs in region. They paid for all my lodging and food. Again, I never had to submit any receipts for that.

I know my comments aren’t necessarily helpful, but I was unaware you could receive any tax consequence from it. Probably just dazzled by attending pay…

#220172 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

How does the employer (not yours specifically) view the expense. I’m assuming any hiring process is considered a business expense that they report to the IRS from their end.

Where i’m employed, they bought plane tickets, booked rental car and hotel, and set up the second site visit after I signed the contract (HR, housing stuff). Essentially, no money ever directly passed through me.

The other interviews I took I drove to. More traditional private practice gigs in region. They paid for all my lodging and food. Again, I never had to submit any receipts for that.

I know my comments aren’t necessarily helpful, but I was unaware you could receive any tax consequence from it. Probably just dazzled by attending pay…

Click to expand…

I don’t think you’re asking me that question, but I may be able to provide a little clarification. Employer business expenses and job hunting expenses and moving expenses were deductible before TCJA 2017. Employers typically provided these perks without tax consequence until tax year 2018.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#220173 Reply
    Liked by Brains428

Reply To: Job Interview expense-reimbursement taxable?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear