Menu

Is this a normal hospital bill for delivery?

Home The Lounge Is this a normal hospital bill for delivery?

• legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

We received the hospital bill from our child’s birth almost six months after the actual stay. I asked them for an intemized bill just to get some sense of it, and it isn’t very helpful. Is this amount the norm for induction/delivery/leave the hospital at the 24 hour mark? I realize there’s probably a wide range, but it seems a bit high. What’s odd is that the birth of our first child was using the same insurance and amounted to a bill of $0, but it was at a different hospital.

I’m not sure what to do about it if it seems high. Ask for more clarification?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #188778 Reply
    Participant

Yikes

#188781 Reply
    Participant

Was it in network?  If so, isnt the “adjustment” by the insurance company supposed to cover all but the co-pays/co-insurance required per your insurance company?

#188794 Reply

Insurance paid exactly 80% after the adjustment and $100 copay.

Seems about normal to me. But my perspective is small.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#188801 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Looks about right. My wife had an orthopedic outpatient procedure recently and was held overnight for observation as a precaution given her medical history. The “bill” sent to insurance was around 65k. After “adjustments” of about 57k, the rest was applied to our deductible/copays.

#188806 Reply
    Participant

3 non-complicated births at 2 different hospitals with very similar coverage–that looks about right. I actually happen to have one of my son’s bill handy and it is right in the same ballpark.

#188809 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Thank you guys. I looked up the coverage in-network and it turns out it’s 80%. Maybe the insurance had better (100%) inpatient coverage when we had our first child.

#188810 Reply

You should look for language in your insurance policy about timely billing. Though probably to no avail as your insurance paid. If it was beyond their allowed billing period they probably wouldn’t have paid. But worth a little work investigating. 6 months is kinda ridiculous. Not uncommon, but still ridiculous for a delivery.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#188816 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Looks about correct for raw charges and such. Almost exactly what ours was.

#188823 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Pretty weak itemization on their part.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#188826 Reply
    Liked by jhwkr542, ENT Doc
    FunkDoc83 FunkDoc83 
    Participant

You should look for language in your insurance policy about timely billing. Though probably to no avail as your insurance paid. If it was beyond their allowed billing period they probably wouldn’t have paid. But worth a little work investigating. 6 months is kinda ridiculous. Not uncommon, but still ridiculous for a delivery.

Click to expand…

We got a bill from the hospital I work at over a year after delivery!!!  I was starting to think maybe there was an error and we were never going to receive a bill.  Talk about timely….Well we didn’t say anything because there is no reason to ruffle feathers and we can easily afford the bill.  Anyway, to save money next time you could consider a home birth. (Yikes!)

#188858 Reply
    Liked by jhwkr542
    Participant

Click to expand…

We got a bill from the hospital I work at over a year after delivery!!!  I was starting to think maybe there was an error and we were never going to receive a bill.  Talk about timely….Well we didn’t say anything because there is no reason to ruffle feathers and we can easily afford the bill.  Anyway, to save money next time you could consider a home birth. (Yikes!)

Click to expand…

We had this happen too.  Kid was about 18 mos old if I remember and we got some bill for around $40.  I completely forget all the details, but it was from the hospital stay itself after the C-section (not the lab, OB, anesthesia, or clinical lab pathologist fee).

#188867 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant
    alpha investing

Looks about right.  The bill for our firstborn was something close to $30k.  Had charges for operating room, etc. that we never used.  Got that full bill for anesthesia even though the epidural didn’t work.  Obstetrician full charge despite being delivered by a resident, and her OB never saw us since she was busy with a section.  Then of course hospital and insurance company billed it to us as out-of-network, even though she delivered at the hospital where she was doing her residency, the only hospital covered.  Hospital and insurance co did nothing to help us for months despite tons of calls and it clearly being in-network.  It was literally going into collections when a colleague finally gave her an inside connection who gave a damn to look into it and fix the mistake.  I was prepared to let them sue us for it, and to sue them for wrecking our credit.

OK I’m done with my rant.  😆

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#188919 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

No, do the delivery in the car in the hospital parking lot, this way if things go south you are already there

#188921 Reply
    Participant

used to be 100 copy before Obamacare, for all 3 of my kids, That bill sound about right, is it worth you time to fight it to lower it a few hundred bucks?

#188999 Reply

Reply To: Is this a normal hospital bill for delivery?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear