Menu

Is the biggest hoax pulled on mankind…..

Home The Lounge Is the biggest hoax pulled on mankind…..

• Craigy Craigy 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I’ve got 40-50 LED bulbs in my apartment of various brands, sizes and types.  I just had three burn out this week (GE) of a batch I bought a year ago.  Others I’ve had for years and are going strong.

I must admit it’s annoying when your super-modern, expensive bulbs don’t even last as long as an old crappy $1 Sylvania incandescent bulb.

Click to expand…

I have gone through a lot of the sylvania incandescents  😆

Since my kids do not seem to know how to turn off the lights it makes me feel a little better knowing that it is less of a power draw.  Also the lack of heat produced.

Click to expand…

+1 seems like a few lamps in my house are on virtually all the time.  Nice knowing they only pull about as much power in a day as an incandescent running just a few hours.

Plus the old rental house we’re in… air conditioner barely keeps up.  Running the recessed cans really heats up the room.  Probably placebo, but swapping to LED seems like it helps out a lot.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#237658 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Running the recessed cans really heats up the room.  Probably placebo, but swapping to LED seems like it helps out a lot.

Click to expand…

Not only that but burning yourself on a bulb is a thing of the past.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#237694 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Craigy
    Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant
    Running the recessed cans really heats up the room.  Probably placebo, but swapping to LED seems like it helps out a lot. 

Click to expand…

Not only that but burning yourself on a bulb is a thing of the past.

Click to expand…

LED’s run hot, maybe not the bulb part but they have metal heatsinks that can burn you easily. fluorescents produce less heat

dimming sockets will wreck LED’s and dimming LED bulbs can be hit and miss

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#237927 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant
    #237961 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    Participant

I am probably averaging 4-5 years with my led’s labelled to last 20 years as well, but I think that my electrical system is crappy.

#237980 Reply
    Participant

…..that LED light bulbs last 22 years. I’ve had two to go out in my house in last 24 hours. BTW, there is apparently a incandescent bulb in NYC, under a bridge, that has been burning continually for over 100 years.

Click to expand…

I was one of the early adopters of LED years ago and have gone through many of them that become bad – many turn on but are not bright any more but just dull and almost like a night lamp. Most of the purchases were from Costco. And they are not put in enclosed spaces. In fact, the CFL bulbs I bought before LED last much longer.

Anyway, I never believed in these 20 and 30 year lifetime hype and would never pay more than a dollar or two for any bulb. That is why I have held off buying these “smart” $20 Phillips Hue bulbs when they came out. I get bulbs at deep discount from Costco or from my utility company.

#238043 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

LED Xmas lights are great for indoors. The Less heat in a dead tree the better.
    Outside I still use incandescent because they are cheaper and being exposed they only last a few seasons. They also keep from getting encased in ice.
    They are only on for a couple of hours a day and I don’t go overboard Xmas vacation style so the energy usage is not enough of a reason for me to switch.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#238055 Reply
    Participant

I’ve had 2-3 out of ~30 LED bulbs go out in the last 2 years.

The Centennial Bulb remains lit because it is (almost) never switched on or off. It is the rapid change in heat that damages the filaments in an incandescent bulb.

It is worth switching to reduce power consumption and AC requirements in the summer, though you might need more heat in the winter.

#238072 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

The decreased lumen output of most LED bulbs has been a mistake. Idk if it was a marketing idea to try to show the biggest difference between wattages (just heat) or something but theres no reason they cant be a ton brighter.

I’ve resorted to buying special ones on amazon with high lumens/watts and the color temperature range I want. Annoying. Old house was only older LEDs and that place was dim at night.

#238098 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, Kamban

Reply To: Is the biggest hoax pulled on mankind…..

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear