Menu
The forum is temporarily closed for new topics and comments. We are working on improving your forum experience. Stay tuned!

Is the biggest hoax pulled on mankind…..

Home The Lounge Is the biggest hoax pulled on mankind…..

Participant

…..that LED light bulbs last 22 years. I’ve had two to go out in my house in last 24 hours. BTW, there is apparently a incandescent bulb in NYC, under a bridge, that has been burning continually for over 100 years.

having electricity surges?

N=2.

all mine are fine.

#237517 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, Ykcor
    Participant

Must be something like that, or the brand I bought at the recommendation of Consumer Reports is/was defective.

#237522 Reply

sucks, sorry.

#237527 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I’ve never had an issue with LEDs but I’ve heard you can replace them by the whatever company makes them pretty easy. As far as the light burning continually, there was another light like that (I think maybe Chicago). I think I remember it has to do with the low voltage (or watts?) and how thick the filament is.

Edit: There was a lot of “I thinks” in there. Maybe I should have just looked it up but I won’t now just out of principle.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#237532 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Peds
    Participant

…..that LED light bulbs last 22 years. I’ve had two to go out in my house in last 24 hours. BTW, there is apparently a incandescent bulb in NYC, under a bridge, that has been burning continually for over 100 years.

Click to expand…

When we bought our old house before renovations (built in 1885), the guy who had been living there since the 1960’s was bragging about how the light bulb in the hallway was over 40 years old and “still going strong.”

But, yes, LED can go bad.  It’s likely due to a manufacturing problem IMO than actually wearing out the diode.  They can theoretically burn continuously for decades.  It’s all the complex electrical stuff that keeps them lit that can go bad from what I understand.  Buy only high quality LEDs from trusted manufacturers and you should have better luck.

#237534 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

LED Like everything else that gets mass produced has it lemons. It is amazing on how cheap they have gotten lately.  I remember changing bulbs all the time and now it is a rare thing.  But is still happens.

Since my kids do not seem to know how to turn off the lights it makes me feel a little better knowing that it is less of a power draw.  Also the lack of heat produced.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#237535 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    Participant

I agree with others that manufacturing origin probably has a lot to do with the LED failure. I have had good luck with them.

#237536 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Ive had to replace them as well. I think with any device that is somewhat fragile a couple decades gives a really long time to have some kind of issue (kids with balls, nerf, etc..) and its unlikely they all last that long.

#237541 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Since my kids do not seem to know how to turn off the lights it makes me feel a little better knowing that it is less of a power draw.  Also the lack of heat produced.

Click to expand…

had a friend literally do this to their entire house because of the 3 kids leaving on lights…..

#237542 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, SLC OB
    Participant

I’ve had lots of LED bulbs go out on me. I think the LED itself is virtually indestructible, but the cheap circuit boards they’re attached to are not at all. High temperatures are a likely contributor, especially when they’re in enclosed fixtures (some are not even rated for this). The good thing is they’re not that expensive any more.

#237543 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, Zaphod
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Click to expand…

had a friend literally do this to their entire house because of the 3 kids leaving on lights…..

Click to expand…

I know someone who installed motion switches to shut off his basement lights with inactivity.  His basement was basically a finished play room for his kids.

Also now you can get such variety of the bulbs.  They come in all the shapes and sizes and are more abundant then incandescent bulbs.

Unfortunately my home was built in the early 2000’s when Fluorescent tubes were popular and we have then in all the closets and a few other areas.  I will replace them as the bulbs go.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#237566 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Yeah, it’s up there.

#237567 Reply
    Jaqen Haghar, MD Jaqen Haghar, MD 
    Participant

I’ve got 40-50 LED bulbs in my apartment of various brands, sizes and types.  I just had three burn out this week (GE) of a batch I bought a year ago.  Others I’ve had for years and are going strong.

I must admit it’s annoying when your super-modern, expensive bulbs don’t even last as long as an old crappy $1 Sylvania incandescent bulb.

#237576 Reply
    Participant

Cheap circuit boards.  exactly right.  The other failure is that the epoxy bonding the metal heatsink to the LED fails and the LED burns up from its own heat because the heat can’t dissipate.  Very rarely is it the failure the actual LED.

Optics and Electronics Patents

#237590 Reply
    Liked by octopus85

Reply To: Is the biggest hoax pulled on mankind…..

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear