Menu

IRS Form 990

Participant

Has anyone used an organization’s IRS Form 990 for salary contract negotiations in addition to MGMA data?  Like let’s say there is one urologist and you are replacing him/her and their salary is on the 990?  It’s public data for W2 salaries for non-profit organizations.   (though it is a year behind…like 2017s are published on the web now)….but MGMA data is also about a year behind….

#235221 Reply
    Participant

Data is data. MGMA is a benchmark. Broad surveys do not represent specific employment settings. You have better data on the 990 (if they filled it out with accurate info). I would think it is relevant but leave room for discussion.

#235226 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Participant

I’ve read them for every hospital I’ve worked at. They are easy to find. I mainly just ogle at the outrageous admin salaries listed. They also need to list the 5 highest paid employees other than admin, which tend to be physicians. Sometimes coworkers and I chat about them. I’ll never be on a list like that with my salary doe sure. But yeah, if you’re replacing someone and know their “current” salary, that’s reasonable to negotiate with that info, provided they aren’t being fired for being overpaid…

#235255 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Participant

I think it’s a good idea if you’re paid independently. I’m not sure how it would work if you’re paid as a group (i.e. anesthesia creates x RVUs and is paid $x/# of anesthesiologists).

#235264 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant
    I’m not sure how it would work if you’re paid as a group

Click to expand…

some of the 990s I’ve reviewed have their contract expenses…so you can see exactly (at least what they are reporting to IRS) what the hospital is paying the group. Obviously that may not equate to all salary money, but it might provide some insight. Maybe?   At least for the individually employed W2 physicians the data should be close to accurate as it would need to match the w2 provided to the employee…..

#235272 Reply
    Participant

In the age of public disclosure requirements, keep in mind that “creativity” is perfectly legal.
    Hospitals and groups and high profile clients can be intertwined. One physician was granted “confliof interest exemptions. Another high profile physician was #2 in a huge medical center. Both are now paid less than half of the pay scales in their organizations. Multiple pay sources, different reports. They want the reported pay low.

#235274 Reply
    Participant
    Multiple pay sources, different reports.

Click to expand…

sure. happens all the time. lots of academics have public state funded salaries and then completely hidden practice salaries. Stipends from various sources, etc.

That said…I’ve seen some physicians with w2 reported income > 3 million on IRS Form 990……. who only take care of patients…no admin duties.

#235285 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

I’ve seen some physicians with w2 reported income > 3 million on IRS Form 990……. who only take care of patients…no admin duties.

Click to expand…

I must be doing something wrong…

#235293 Reply

Reply To: IRS Form 990

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear