Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

Introduce Yourself!

Home General/Welcome Introduce Yourself!

• Stealth Wealth mD Stealth Wealth mD
    Participant

Hi everyone.  I’m a long time follower/lurker of this website, and thoroughly enjoy the discussions and debates. I look forward to sharing my experiences with the WCI community.

-SWMD

Stealth Wealth MD. A personal finance blog for medical professionals with a stealth mentality.

http://www.StealthWealthMD.com

#56862 Reply
    Participant

68 year old retired ID physician. Had the good fortune of saving the recommended 20% plus beginning the first day I started earning after completing training.  Have made few investment mistakes most importantly for years using a  commission based advisor at Edward Jones who sold loaded funds to me – figured that out and got the heck out of there. Enjoying a comfortable retirement. Buying for cash a mix of residential and commercial properties. Manage my own marketable securities and trust Schwab’s intelligent portfolio for the rest. Enjoy this site.

#56886 Reply
    Participant

I’m a fee only financial planner and Pulmonary/Intensive care physician (now just in the AF Reserve).  This site has an article describing my pathway here at:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/from-medicine-to-fee-only-planning/

I look forward to participating at the site!    Steve Podnos

#65028 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I’m a fee only financial planner and Pulmonary/Intensive care physician (now just in the AF Reserve).  This site has an article describing my pathway here at:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/from-medicine-to-fee-only-planning/

I look forward to participating at the site!    Steve Podnos

Click to expand…

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP: I am not your financial advisor; any responses are for general purposes only
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#65030 Reply
    djohnflatfeecfp djohnflatfeecfp
    Participant
    Status: Financial Advisor, Website Sponsor, Small Business Owner

I’ve been a reader of the site for several years.  A few months ago I became one of the recommended advisors here as I have quite a few physician clients.  I run a flat-fee firm based in Akron, OH where I charge $4,800 annually. Because I am a virtual advisor I have clients across the country. And until I heard Johanna’s recent Kitces interview (which was great) I thought the forum was for physicians only.  Thanks for not kicking me out and I promise to be on my best behavior.

On the personal side, I have two teenage sons and my wife is a nursing professor at a local university.  If I am not at a kid’s cross-country or swim event I probably have a book in my hand, so I am always looking for good book recommendations.

Accumulate Wealth, Not Fees - http://forwardthinkingwm.com/
    Daniel P. Johnson, CFP - [email protected]

#65033 Reply
    Liked by Dreamgiver
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    If I am not at a kid’s cross-country or swim event I probably have a book in my hand, so I am always looking for good book recommendations.

Click to expand…

Then you might enjoy this thread – What Do You Read, How Do You Read It? 🙂

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP: I am not your financial advisor; any responses are for general purposes only
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#65034 Reply
    drjay71 drjay71
    Participant

Hello all.

I am a practicing interventional radiologist in the DFW area. I am very appreciative of this site and the shared wisdom!

#65268 Reply
    Participant

Don’t think I ever introduced myself.

43 and married with 2 kids

employed at the same place for the 14 years since finishing residency.

Medical director and service line department lead but 80% clinical. Love what I do and that makes work enjoyable and me productive. Have a good reputation in the community which keeps me busy.

I was fortunate to have loving parents who paid for my college. I chose the least expensive good medical school to which I was accepted and graduated with under $20,000 of debt. Some of medical school I paid for from the profits of a condo I bought and sold at the time.

After graduation we had a net worth of $50,000. We lived like residents for close to 7 years, when we reached our first million in net worth. Since then there have been a couple more.

We have always saved more than half our income and invested in low cost, passive investments. I have had a passion for personal finance and behavioral finance for twenty years and have read widely in the area. I consider myself a Jack Bogle disciple. I have no esoteric investments, no individual stocks, no business ownership, no p2p lending, no active mutual funds, no alternative investments. The closest thing to ‘crazy’ is some investment property which throws off enough profit to be worthwhile.

Good community and fun to help other docs.

#65436 Reply
    Participant

Haven’t introduced myself. Hi, I’m dmal, and I’m poor. Not even that, I’m straight po’ (especially relatively to everyone else on here…I’m WAAAY behind 🙁 ).

Been lurking on and off, but seriously started reading ~ 1 year ago. Recent grad, that basically had all my post residency plans suddenly come crushing down. After reading through most of the forum I realize maybe some of the plans may have been made with my head buried in the sand about a lot of things. Still reeling, and trying to figure out how to sort things out, but all of that has made me to really think about my financial situation. So, with that said, off to the Beginners sub-forum I go…

#65518 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    Participant

I am an Emergency Medicine physician in Houston, 2 years out of residency. One payment away from paying off my student loan, and contemplating saving money to do a cash buy on a new home…

#82083 Reply
    Participant

ER Doc 4 years out of US fellowship, working as an IC in SoFlo at a semi academic hospital, married to a pediatrician 3 yrs out. WCI has been a game changer!

#82094 Reply
    StrabismusBusiness StrabismusBusiness
    Participant

I’m a pediatric ophthalmologist in Kentucky. I’m ten years out of training. Thank you to WCI and all contributors for some very useful information, especially regarding backdoor Roth IRA’s.

Strong work!

#82701 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant

Professor in Pediatrics at an academic medical center and a wonderful children’s hospital (though we do have our challenges like every other university and hospital).  Married to a pediatrician for 23 years and she now works part time. Blessed to practice along with hard working and intelligent young residents and fellows.  Still remember discussing compensation with a resident back when I was a medical student in the late 80s.  I explained that I was interested in pediatrics and I knew that I would not make money like other specialities.  He corrected me and replied “No one makes money practicing medicine! You make capital when you are a doctor!”. I finally was able to make my first investment in a front loaded mutual fund in 1993. I contributed a maximum of $2,000 to a newly opened IRA account.  It was one of the most exciting financial transactions of my life 🙂

#82792 Reply
    Participant

I’m not a physician but I play one on TV or stayed at a Holiday Inn last night?  I’m in insurance and have had the fortune of representing many physicians, surgeons and dentists throughout the US over the last 25 years.  I’m an underwriter to this day and have enough medical knowledge to fill a thimble, but what I do know is risk.

Approaching 50 very soon and despite some really bad mistakes have managed to achieve FI (if I move to another state and sell my children and maybe an organ or two).  Looking to better my financial status by making better informed decisions.  Yes I have WL and a NWM advisor.   Love this site and have been lurking for a few years.

I spend way too much discretionary money on rode bikes and wine.

#82793 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

I’m not a physician but I play one on TV or stayed at a Holiday Inn last night?  I’m in insurance and have had the fortune of representing many physicians, surgeons and dentists throughout the US over the last 25 years.  I’m an underwriter to this day and have enough medical knowledge to fill a thimble, but what I do know is risk.

Approaching 50 very soon and despite some really bad mistakes have managed to achieve FI (if I move to another state and sell my children and maybe an organ or two).  Looking to better my financial status by making better informed decisions.  Yes I have WL and a NWM advisor.   Love this site and have been lurking for a few years.

I spend way too much discretionary money on rode bikes and wine.

Click to expand…

Dumpster Fire, as a fellow cyclist, I have to agree with your last sentence. I’ve been road and mountain biking for 12 years now, and tend to follow the N+1 rule regarding the number of bikes I need. It’s a great “mid life crisis” to be enthralled with being in great shape but bikes sure are expensive

#82928 Reply

Reply To: Introduce Yourself!

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear