Menu

International percentage

Home General Investing International percentage

• Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I am currently at 15% international and considering increasing to 20-25%.

I was hoping the members of the forum would not mind sharing their international percents and any opinions they have.

#169820 Reply

30%.

there are endless discussion on bogleheads. literally endless.

the end result is: do what you want.

#169821 Reply
    Liked by G

30%

Vanguard recommends somewhere in range 20% – market cap, ideally 30-40%. They use 40% in their target funds which is an increase from I think what used to be 30% if you went back 5 years or so. One could say that’s a bit of market timing from Vanguard

https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGGEB.pdf

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#169822 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    30%. there are endless discussion on bogleheads. literally endless. the end result is: do what you want.

Click to expand…

same (outside of alternatives) and agree.

my whisky collection is about 90% international, concentrated in Scotland with Japan a distant second, but I assume this is not what you meant.

#169823 Reply
    Liked by Hank, Dr P, jfoxcpacfp, Peds
    Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

30%.

there are endless discussion on bogleheads. literally endless.

the end result is: do what you want.

Click to expand…

Yes, I agree, I have read several of them.  This audience is a little different and I was just looking for opinions.

Thanks!

#169824 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I’m at 20%. Mainly because that’s just a good round number.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#169825 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Participant
    30%. there are endless discussion on bogleheads. literally endless. the end result is: do what you want. 

Click to expand…

my whisky collection is about 90% international, concentrated in Scotland with Japan a distant second, but I assume this is not what you meant.

Click to expand…

No it is not but it is an interesting side note.   I have heard that there are some pretty nice Japanese whiskeys.

#169826 Reply
    Participant

For what it’s worth I used to follow betterment’s allocation:  for 100% stocks, 15% goes to emerging markets and 27% to developed markets (Europe, Japan, Australia).  Last year around this time, lucky for those invested, they adjusted their foreign allocation down from something like 45% down to this 42%.  They didn’t really explain why, but the speculation was that it was due to a combination of:  a run-up in foreign equities (sounds like market timing), increased profits of US-based companies being drawn from abroad and TCJA effect on worldwide economy (retrenchment within the US, with ripple effects elsewhere).

Personally, I am a bit less than that, but not a lot.  I tilt a bit more foreign than most here at around 32-35%.

#169827 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

No it is not but it is an interesting side note.   I have heard that there are some pretty nice Japanese whiskeys.

Click to expand…

There are some great whiskies coming out of Japan.  However, there are so many now, that it is hard to keep track of them.  I even noticed a California distillery making their interpretation of a Japanese whisky!  It seems the liquor store is full of unknown (to me) bottles asking for a generous price for no other reason than they have Kanji on them.  The old/known favorites are hard to find and/or hard to justify the pricing.

Kinda feels like the dotcom boom or more recently the blockchain boom.

#169830 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

We use 20% – 25% split between emerging markets and developed markets. Just pick your allocation and stick with it. iow, don’t fool yourself into thinking that EM is “good” this year and weigh heavy in it. The beauty of rebalancing is it forces you to buy low and sell high. Nick Murray calls it the closest thing to a free lunch in the investing world.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP: I am not your financial advisor; any responses are for general purposes only
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#169837 Reply
    Participant

We use 20% – 25% split between emerging markets and developed markets. Just pick your allocation and stick with it. iow, don’t fool yourself into thinking that EM is “good” this year and weigh heavy in it. The beauty of rebalancing is it forces you to buy low and sell high. Nick Murray calls it the closest thing to a free lunch in the investing world.

Click to expand…

I only am in right now for 15% because I set up a target date fund that has all my international exposure in it.  I did this prior to finding this site and had no reason to pick that amount.   I have been planning on making the switch and now seems like a good time since international took a beating this year.   I fully realize it may take a beating next year as well.

That is my plan to figure out my AA and stick with it.

I do not think I am going to have a separate fund for EM.  Just the total international.

Thanks.

#169843 Reply

Have you read the Vanguard white paper?

#169847 Reply
    Participant

I use EM and Foreign alot in my AA.  EM volatility fits my investing style. For 20+ years, I’ve used VWILX as a combo Foreign and EM; it is an actively managed fund that has outperformed passives  3/4 years.

Taxable #1………..EM 17% and Foreign 22%

Taxable #2………..EM 15% and Foreign 15%

Tax Deferred TDF has 28% foreign/EM combo.

#169848 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

There are some great whiskies coming out of Japan.  However, there are so many now, that it is hard to keep track of them.  I even noticed a California distillery making their interpretation of a Japanese whisky!  It seems the liquor store is full of unknown (to me) bottles asking for a generous price for no other reason than they have Kanji on them.  The old/known favorites are hard to find and/or hard to justify the pricing.

Click to expand…

I feel like the liquor powers that be are trying to turn from whisky to tequila as the new it thing. It started several months ago, but hasnt gained much traction yet, but its coming. Not sure how it will go, but we’ll see. Would be nice to have more reasonable prices for whisky, I am not a tequila fan at all.

#169849 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I feel like the liquor powers that be are trying to turn from whisky to tequila as the new it thing. It started several months ago, but hasnt gained much traction yet, but its coming. Not sure how it will go, but we’ll see. Would be nice to have more reasonable prices for whisky, I am not a tequila fan at all.

Click to expand…

Dunno, I feel like the boat has already sailed on premium tequilas, too.  You know, based upon my highly scientific survey of “what is in the locked case at Total Wine and the local liquor store.”

Old rum, that’s where I’m banking on the next run up!  Unfortunately, I keep “liquidating” my investments there…. 😉

#169853 Reply
    Liked by Marko-ER, Zaphod

Reply To: International percentage

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear