Menu

Instacart

Home The Lounge Instacart

Just curious to hear the forum members thoughts (value, pros, cons, etc) and experiences in regards to grocery delivery services (e.g. Instacart, AmazonFresh, etc). Worth it or nah?

#188357 Reply
    Participant

It is a luxury but the prices don’t seem to be dramatically different. You do tip the shopper, so that’s a little add-on. Generally we use it when a trip without kids isn’t possible or if life gets particularly crazy. Not all the time.

#188368 Reply
    Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

I have heard several complaints that the wrong items are delivered and there is poor customer service so you just have to deal with it.

I have heard good things about the wal mart pickup service but have not done that myself.  We tend not to grocery shop there but I would consider it to avoid dragging the kid in for a few items.

#188370 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant
    alpha investing

Walmart pickup. Shop with some clicks, swing by and call, they help load, drive away. Great when you’re with kids. Produce and meat I’d buy in person.

#188375 Reply
    Participant

My understanding is you miss out on in store sale prices and you need to pay attention to minimums. That said, of course you are going to pay for it, probably the same price as a round trip Uber or a little more, it’s more than the tip.
    https://www.bostonmove.com/publications/blog/18/Grocery-delivery-services-in-Boston%3A-Amazon-Fresh%2C-Peapod-%26-Roche-Bros..html

Search for it in your location.

#188381 Reply
    Participant

I’m a user of Walmart grocery pickup (free) as well as their own delivery service ($8-10 additional).  I love it.  I’m a resident but trading time for money is still worthwhile in this category.  If someone can save me 1-2 hours of driving and shopping and have it at my doorstep for $8, I’m winning at life.

I’ve also used AmazonFresh, the similar service but not at Walmart prices.  If I plan far enough ahead the grocery pickup options save you the most hassle if you can time it for pickup on the way home.  I also spend less when ordering online as you can comparison to cheaper items and watch your total rack up.

#188385 Reply
    Hank Hank 

I like the idea of Instacart.  I really wanted their service to be good.

However, I found it overpriced and lackluster quality.  You know those beat up vegetables that your would pass up if you were doing your own shopping?  Yeah, they seemed to be the ones that went into the Instacart basket.  Not inclined to tip for that level of “service”.

#188387 Reply
    Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

Walmart pickup. Shop with some clicks, swing by and call, they help load, drive away. Great when you’re with kids. Produce and meat I’d buy in person.

Click to expand…

They also had the best commercial during the Superbowl in my opinion.

#189267 Reply
    Participant

I use it all the time and think it’s great. Out of maybe 40 orders I’ve only had one where the produce was carelessly chosen, and after easily submitting a complaint online they refunded all the produce from that order. To be honest I don’t know how much more it costs, but it saves me time and the headache of dragging kids to the grocery store and groceries are a tiny portion of the monthly budget. Totally worth it in my opinion.

The target pickup service is pretty nice too. Find myself relying on amazon less when I can just swing by on the way home from work and add 5 minutes to the trip.

#189279 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Interesting. This would alleviate the worst parts of walmart, lack of staff, etc…

#189287 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Participant

Happy to provide a post for “pro”:
    I use Shipt, which is like Instacart but with subtle differences. Firstly, and many companies do this now, delivery is free over $35. They use an annual membership fee of something like $100 except there are deals to get it down to $50 per year. I used that and thus pay approximately $1 per week for free grocery delivery. I save at least an hour a week for the process so thus am paying a mere $1 per hour of life saved. The prices are slightly higher and we do tip the delivery person. Even with this additional cost, my grocery bill is likely still lower because we don’t browse. We only buy what we intentionally search for on the app. Also, the app provides a list of sales. And the whole “I need to select my own produce” argument doesn’t make much sense to me. They’re professional grocery shoppers—you’re better than them at choosing produce?

#189308 Reply
    Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

The folks who do the WalMart pickup have thus far always seemed nicer than those doing the work inside the store.  Not sure if it’s a more desirable job or if they select specific people based on social skills, but the handful of times I’ve done it it’s been super easy and they’ve been great.  I hate going inside WalMart and generally avoid it alltogether when I can.

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

#189320 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

I must live near the world’s best Walmart. Though I agree the people coming out are very pleasant.

#189324 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

To those mentioning children: I enjoy shopping with my kid! Life skills and all that.

#189411 Reply
    Participant

@g,
    Depends on the weather. I remember loading a cart up to go into the store. Car seat, portable stroller, diaper bag, pouch carrier. Check, that’s for one. Crap, let’s bring that little harness thing with the retractable strap. Oh no, both of them are asleep now. Not looking good. Can’t leave em in the car even though I need three things. aspirin, bread, and pop tarts. The trick is anticipating the energy level of each and the mode of transportation.
    1) Car seat in the grocery cart with the 3 yr old stuffed in the stroller is heaven!
    2) The pouch and harness are disasters. Pharmacy, bread and breakfast goods ALL have tons of stuff to explore. Not many are child proof. Haven’t figured out how to teach a 3 year old to put things back. That retractable strap can trip folks and get tangled on displays. Yes, displays are time burners.

I really enjoyed learning to stock shelves, rebuild displays, then holding one pushing a cart and stroller, unloading aspirin, bread and pop tarts waiting behind 5 ladies with full shopping carts since the express checkouts were closed. One hand slows me down.
    I ignore the muttering and looks and try to put stuff back on the magazine and candy racks.

By the time I hit the door, satisfaction sets in. Family time, overcoming difficulties as we declare victory!
    “Cleanup aisle 2, 12, 18, and 24. The store is safe”, is broadcast as I return the cart.
    One child shopping can be an activity. Two or more can be stressful and disruptive for others. We all go through it and try to be patient. Wouldn’t recommend it as a hobby.

#189466 Reply

Reply To: Instacart

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear