Menu

ICD -10 Fails

Home The Lounge ICD -10 Fails

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I cam across this.  It is a little old.  Anyone else actually use any ridiculous codes?  Being somewhat rural I have used Pecked by a chicken, Bitten by other hoof stock, and Fall on board fishing boat are a few recent ones to come to mind.

Any other good ones out there?

https://www.nextech.com/blog/top-10-most-hilarious-codes-in-icd-10

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#233741 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

#1 is definitely the best.  I think there’s a fall from spacecraft, but the others are better.

#233750 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, Lordosis
    Participant

Anything on possession by Demons/Exorcism in ICD10 or is that non-PC relative to alien abduction?  should be like 20 or so Alien Abduction codes I’m guessing, given the exponential number of additional codes between ICD9 and ICD10.

#233813 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

My EMR will take its best guess when you search ICD 10 codes.

For Demons I got Z71.1 Person with feared health complaint in whom no diagnosis is made

For Alien abduction I got F44.4 Conversion disorder with motor symptom or deficit

I would rather deal with the aliens or demons.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#233816 Reply
    Participant

my favorite is struck by an orca, initial encounter.  not sure if they have a subsequent visit code.   my dream is to be able to bill the highest level for this code one day.  I can’t seem them auditing for these odd codes.

https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/V00-Y99/W50-W64/W56-/W56.22XA

#233888 Reply
    Participant

Milking an animal. Not injured while milking an animal, but just milking an animal.

What’s weird is the number of things they actually DON’T have. It’s hard, for example, to differentiate types of bicycle crashes. Road, MVC involved, mountain biking, downhill mountain biking- ICD 10 doesn’t differentiate, which is really hard for tracking injuries.

#233921 Reply
    Participant

Water skis on fire? I don’t even understand how this is possible. Wouldn’t being sucked into a jet engine kill you?

I COULD HAVE BEEN CODING FOR IN LAW PROBLEMS????????????????????????

#233936 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Participant

External Cause W61.12:
    Contact (accidental) with
    macaw W61.19
    strike W61.12

Well because you know how common that is, right?!? 🙄

#233950 Reply
    Participant

For traumatic brain injury we need to specify duration of loss of consciousness for billing/compliance purposes despite not having impact on the management. My favorite has always been this:

“traumatic brain injury with loss of consciousness of any duration with death due to brain injury prior to regaining consciousness

That gets specified further with the codes for the type of TBI as well as “initial encounter,” “subsequent encounter,” and “sequelae.” I haven’t had a use for it yet, but we’re prepared in case the zombie apocalypse occurs due to TBI.

#234070 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

Reply To: ICD -10 Fails

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear