Menu
The forum is temporarily closed for new topics and comments. We are working on improving your forum experience. Stay tuned!

HUGE sell off today!

Home The Lounge HUGE sell off today!

• CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus
    Yeah, don’t worry. I made the argument for an upswing in another thread (why else would I hold on to my funds?).

Click to expand…

You’ve got to be kidding. So, you’re just playing both sides of the fence and then claiming you were right regardless of what happens. Interesting strategy.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#240501 Reply
    Participant
    8/14 close: 25479 8/21 close: 26202 I probably missed the post where you also predicted that a week later the DJIA would have un-carnaged. 

Click to expand…

I was going to make the comment that it is funny this thread only got attention on the bad days.  But you beat me to it!…

Click to expand…

Oh, don’t worry, he’ll be back the next time the Dow drops 2% in a day to boast how just the week before he had predicted that it would happen, only to disappear again when it inevitably gains 3% the next day.

Click to expand…

Yeah, don’t worry. I made the argument for an upswing in another thread (why else would I hold on to my funds?). Look at historic patterns with 2/10 inversions, by no means a straight drop into the abyss of recession. Don’t be such short term thinkers. Keeping with the herd mentality won’t get you to where I got – no real chance at upward mobility. Naïve to think the world’s problems reversed course 8/14-8/21. That’s the herd being herded back and forth. Hoping for a nibble at new highs so I can sell, but not holding my breath. My CD’s outperformed markets last 18 months.

I think you underestimate the sophistication — and net worth — of many on this forum.  But I digress:  Keep the prognostications and non sequiturs coming!

#240504 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, HikingDO
    Participant
    Yeah, don’t worry. I made the argument for an upswing in another thread (why else would I hold on to my funds?). 

Click to expand…

You’ve got to be kidding. So, you’re just playing both sides of the fence and then claiming you were right regardless of what happens. Interesting strategy.

Click to expand…

Have you ever seen the market take a straight shot up or down? It doesn’t happen that way. Even in the Great Recession there were up days. I’m a market history/chart analysis guy. Go read up on what happens historically after 2/10 inversions – the market does not go straight down or straight up.

No, I’m not playing both sides. I still believe that the market will at some point pose a better buying opportunity than today. That hasn’t changed so my buy/sell strategy hasn’t changed without any fundamental changes. This week posed no fundamental changes. The trade war hasn’t ended. The world economies are still slowing. The treasury inversion is being retested. Brexit hasn’t gone away. The market is still stuck in a range.

It’s very simplistic and unreasonable to assume since I feel the world’s economy is in trouble, that I would expect every single day is going to be a down day. You need to understand the markets better.

#240509 Reply
    Participant
    You need to understand the markets better.

Click to expand…

I knew the market would go lower, but I didn’t sell because I knew the market would go higher.  After it goes higher, I will sell before it goes lower.

#240512 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    You need to understand the markets better.

Click to expand…

I’m perfectly fine not “understanding” the markets at your level.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#240518 Reply
    Participant
    My CD’s outperformed markets last 18 months

Click to expand…

DJIA

2/21/18: 24797

8/21/19: 26202

Where’d you get the CDs which beat that?

#240524 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Have you ever seen the market take a straight shot up or down? It doesn’t happen that way. Even in the Great Recession there were up days. I’m a market history/chart analysis guy. Go read up on what happens historically after 2/10 inversions – the market does not go straight down or straight up.

No, I’m not playing both sides. I still believe that the market will at some point pose a better buying opportunity than today. That hasn’t changed so my buy/sell strategy hasn’t changed without any fundamental changes. This week posed no fundamental changes. The trade war hasn’t ended. The world economies are still slowing. The treasury inversion is being retested. Brexit hasn’t gone away. The market is still stuck in a range.

It’s very simplistic and unreasonable to assume since I feel the world’s economy is in trouble, that I would expect every single day is going to be a down day. You need to understand the markets better.

Click to expand…

So to summarize, the market goes up, and the market goes down. Thanks.

#240527 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

DJIA

Click to expand…

DJIA

1/23/18 26616

Ally bank CD would beat that 🙂

#240531 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Not if you are buying up and down along with it.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#240534 Reply
    Liked by EndoRobert
    Participant

Click to expand…

DJIA

Click to expand…

DJIA

1/23/18 26616

Ally bank CD would beat that 🙂

Click to expand…

Well, the assertion was 18 months, which is why I picked 2/21/18.  Shall we really get into cherry-picking time frames?

And regardless…did, in fact, an Ally Bank CD bought on 1/23/18 beat the DJIA?  It looks like a 12mo was around 1.3%…and some of us non-fancy, simpletons also like to include that little detail of dividends, which is around 2.4%…so, somebody math it for me….

😉

#240535 Reply
    Liked by MaxPower
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Don’t forget that one is taxed at LTCG and the other at your higher income rate.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#240538 Reply
    Participant

Come on guys, stop wasting your time and using crazy things like math and numbers to prove your points. EMD has got it all figured out already.

#240542 Reply
    Participant

The absolute best strategy is called “Hindsight “.

“So, you’re just playing both sides of the fence and then claiming you were right regardless of what happens. Interesting strategy.”

Next thing is choose it in advance. By the way, entry and exit and the time HAS to be decided in advance. Some folks here got locked down on Bogleheads simply for not obeying the rules. “Hindsight” in lack of complete disclosure accomplished nothing.

Cord is absolutely right, straddles is one way to do it.
    What could go wrong?

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/optioninvestor/08/straddle-strategy.asp

#240544 Reply
    Liked by HikingDO
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

LOL you peoples are seeing EMD for what he is… a really skilled market prognosticator. Heh heh

#240546 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, wonka31, Tim
    Participant

Darn that yield curve horoscope!!! I don’t think either the US or China will back off any time soon.

Still sticking to deleveraging over new market investments at this time until the “horoscopes” tell me differently.

Remember HUGE sell off means HUGE sale for the patiently unemotional market investor.

#241061 Reply

Reply To: HUGE sell off today!

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear