Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

HUGE sell off today!

Home The Lounge HUGE sell off today!

• Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Lots of tax loss harvesting today.  I’ll thank myself in approximately 2055 when I can take the -$3000 on my 1040.

#238920 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

It’s just because I bought $100K of stock yesterday. Never fails.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

Hank Hank 

Click to expand…

Warn the rest of us before you buy!  😉

Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant

Click to expand…

please announce your future purchases from here on so I can time my TLH with your buying

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#238931 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc
    Participant

In before EnterpriseMD comes in to tell us all how last night he predicted that today would happen.

The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

I

Click to expand…

please announce your future purchases from here on so I can time my TLH with your buying

Click to expand…

I actually put the order in the day before, but after 4 pm. I could have given you lots of notice. But buying when I have the money has served me well over the years, so I just keep doing it. While I would have been better off buying today than yesterday, I’m quite confident I’ll be up from the purchase price when I spend the money in a few decades.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#238943 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I clump my taxable investing quarterly.  Last time I put anything in was about 6 weeks ago.  That amounts to a couple hundred in losses right now.  Not really worth harvesting for.

What is the minimum you would harvest?

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#238944 Reply
    Participant

I just opened a Roth IRA for the wife at Vanguard, and there is a hold on new accounts so I can’t make any transactions for a week. Hoping it’ll drop a little further before I execute her back door Roth for the year.

#238946 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

#238947 Reply
    Participant

Oh now I get it. People try to mask their admiration with criticism, skepticism, you name it:)

Now that admiration has upgraded me from Entrepreneur  to Enterprise level!!! Yeah!!

Trying so hard to be wrong about the bull/bear market cycle, I’m failing at this miserably. What a failure I am.

Thanks Hiking!

#238948 Reply
    Participant

Oh now I get it. People try to mask their admiration with criticism, skepticism, you name it:)

Now that admiration has upgraded me from Entrepreneur  to Enterprise level!!! Yeah!!

Trying so hard to be wrong about the bull/bear market cycle, I’m failing at this miserably. What a failure I am.

Thanks Hiking!

Click to expand…

Haha! Sorry I got your name wrong, not sure why I typed Enterprise, maybe I had Star Trek on my mind…

#238961 Reply
    Participant

This is a nice juxtaposition to the necro-thread originally posted by @zaphod and brought back up yesterday. The pseudo-meltdown here is much less entertaining than the facebook meltdown to ensue.

#238963 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I used to TLH a flat amount. Now I usually wait for lots to drop 5%. Definitely not an exact science.

#238968 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

One of the other reasons I tax loss harvest is I think it sometimes makes my asset location a little bit nicer. I sell off something in my taxable account and buy the replacement in my Roth IRA, and do the opposite with a different asset class, selling it in the Roth IRA and moving it to taxable. When the asset class moving to the taxable account is the more tax efficient of the two it seems like more of a win.

#238969 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

I clump my taxable investing quarterly.  Last time I put anything in was about 6 weeks ago.  That amounts to a couple hundred in losses right now.  Not really worth harvesting for.

What is the minimum you would harvest?

Click to expand…

Have queried on same in past.  Several other threads on topic as well IIRC.

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/topic/what-amount-is-worth-tax-loss-harvesting/

Alas, have not been adding to taxable in recent weeks due to expected expenses

#238972 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

Reply To: HUGE sell off today!

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear