Menu

HSA advice needed

Home General/Welcome HSA advice needed

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I am just starting out getting my financial life in order. Want to first start investing with my HSA money since for now I am not ready (knowledgeable enough) to fire my financial adviser. I have had and HSA account with HSA bank for a long time but never used it for investing. It seems that some of you are switching to Fidelity. What is the main reason you’re switching? Can I transfer funds I just deposited last month into my HSAbank account if I open a Fidelity HSA or do I need to wait until I make the next HSA contribution next year? ( I maxed out for this year already)

#189528 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I am just starting out getting my financial life in order. Want to first start investing with my HSA money since for now I am not ready (knowledgeable enough) to fire my financial adviser. I have had and HSA account with HSA bank for a long time but never used it for investing. It seems that some of you are switching to Fidelity. What is the main reason you’re switching? Can I transfer funds I just deposited last month into my HSAbank account if I open a Fidelity HSA or do I need to wait until I make the next HSA contribution next year? ( I maxed out for this year already)

Click to expand…

Fidelity doesn’t charge fees.  Lively is the other no-fee option.  If you know you don’t want to stay with HSA Bank (and I wouldn’t), there is no reason to delay switching.

#189596 Reply
    Participant

Agree with Lithium.  And, yeah, you should invest the HSA money.  I have mine in a total stock market index, but I am saving my HSA and instead cashflowing medical expenses while I can.

#189601 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Switch. Fidelity doesn’t mandate a minimum in a savings account so you can invest all of it. Access to good funds at no fees.

Have your current trustee transfer the amount directly.

#189610 Reply
    Participant

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated!

#198866 Reply
    Participant

Thanks for this thread!  Quick follow-up question for my own clarity ..

I put the max into HSA via HealthEquity.  For investing, they do charge .033% monthly on the average value invested charged to my cash balance.

Is this the ‘fee’ that would be avoided by moving into a Fidelity fund?  And are there penalties to withdraw and switch?

#199124 Reply
    Participant

I put the max into HSA via HealthEquity.  For investing, they do charge .033% monthly on the average value invested charged to my cash balance.

Is this the ‘fee’ that would be avoided by moving into a Fidelity fund?  And are there penalties to withdraw and switch?

Click to expand…

Yes, the fee would be avoided. Penalties to withdraw depends on the agreement with your current HSA. I switched mine and my wife’s from Optum and HSA Bank respectively and both charged a $25 break-up fee. No big surprise since that’s their last chance to make money from your account.

#199175 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Participant

Thank you!! I’ve moved my HSA to Fidelity – feeling like I’m making good proactive money moves.  Appreciate the help from WCI and everyone!

#199633 Reply

Reply To: HSA advice needed

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear