Menu

HSA

Home Tax Reduction HSA

• Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

If I have VTI in my HSA will that trigger wash sale if I have VTSAX in my taxable?

I realize that VTI is no different then VTSAX but does it matter that it is in the HSA?

#184141 Reply

there is no mention in the ruling.

i fall on the side that retirement accounts, hsa, etc dont count, only IRAs and taxable.

others disagree.

#184146 Reply
    Participant

If I have VTI in my HSA will that trigger wash sale if I have VTSAX in my taxable?

I realize that VTI is no different then VTSAX but does it matter that it is in the HSA?

Click to expand…

Technically there is no specific mention, I used the ishares s and p 500 etf to avoid the issue.  I seriously doubt you would ever “get caught” as I don’t believe you have to report what is in your HSA to the IRS.

#184189 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Since the IRS doesn’t specifically mention it, you’ll get people falling on both sides. You’ll be fine. If nothing else, the IRS has much bigger “gray areas” to go after.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#184200 Reply

Reply To: HSA

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear