Menu

How would you handle rude vulgar people at swimming pool?

Home The Lounge How would you handle rude vulgar people at swimming pool?

Participant

Family spending week at very nice planned community resort on Florida Panhandle. Private pool for exclusive use by a few Oceanside homes (where we are guests) was taken over yesterday by a small group of millennials playing loud vulgar rap music at same time playing beer pong. Not only that but they had glass bottles around pool which is not allowed. Couple of guys were throwing a baseball from one end of the pool to other end. There were kids at the pool. My daughter just got up and left. No security around.

My wife who is more of a type A personality said she would have told them to clean up there act or leave. I, being less confrontational, would have been like my grown daughter and just left. But if my grand kids had been threatened I would have been in their face even if it meant fisticuffs

#227591 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

You could start by asking them to turn down the music as there is children at the pool. If they refuse you could go one of two ways: 1. I’m sure the planned community has some rules regarding loud music, etc. at the pool. You could contact someone with authority within the planned community that could ask them to leave and escalate it to police, if needed. 2. Take whatever is playing their music and throw it in the pool.

Things would get handled much faster going the second route.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#227592 Reply
    Participant

Yep, Cord they broke every rule in HOA pool rules. Wife talked to security today and said thought were getting spillover from the nearby Resort Inn. They were also getting complaints about babies in diapers in pool.

Don’t mean to offend anyone, but Rednecks and alcohol don’t mix.

#227602 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

LOL, FLP chooses his battles. This wouldn’t be one of them

#227604 Reply
    Liked by 8arclay, Zaphod, Anne
    Participant

I would just call security and/or cops.

I was in a similar situation not too long ago and spoke up, basically ready to start swinging.  Not sure how it didn’t turn into a brawl.  Lucky, I guess.

I’m not a little pig, but neither were the other guys…zero good would have come of it.

#227608 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

You have two reasonable options:

Recruit the two baseball buffoons away from the pool and join their buddies in beer pong. After getting to know them make some crack about their music, and make a bet that if you win the next game you get to switch it to “real music”. Win the game. Proceed to up the ante and play with hard liquor until they are passed out. Join family back at pool.

Or

Remember the bar scene from A Bronx Tale?

#227611 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Family spending week at very nice planned community resort on Florida Panhandle. Private pool for exclusive use by a few Oceanside homes (where we are guests) was taken over yesterday by a small group of millennials playing loud vulgar rap music at same time playing beer pong. Not only that but they had glass bottles around pool which is not allowed. Couple of guys were throwing a baseball from one end of the pool to other end. There were kids at the pool. My daughter just got up and left. No security around.

My wife who is more of a type A personality said she would have told them to clean up there act or leave. I, being less confrontational, would have been like my grown daughter and just left. But if my grand kids had been threatened I would have been in their face even if it meant fisticuffs

Click to expand…

Oh, @ykor, please tell your wife I admire her dearly. Unlike FLP, I believe you should stand up for what is right regardless of who is watching. I could name so many examples of people who have stood by and allowed evil (even a tiny bit) to prevail and how the leaven takes over. It’s not just about YOUR grandkids – it’s about standing up for decency (even teaching the untrained who could use an example), even if your kids or grandkids are not exposed. Wouldn’t you have wanted another hero to stand in the gap for your precious grandbabies had you not been there while they were listening?

I mean no disrespect – truly. I have bitten my tongue and turned my head far too many times. I pray that, with age, I will continue to improve at giving the reins to my conscience, as I hope we all will.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#227613 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Play beer pong, winner of 2 out of 3 owns the beach. Loser leaves.

#227620 Reply
    Participant

1) what’s the millennial dig?
    2) not finance related….

#227621 Reply
    Liked by cunado34, CM
    CM CM 
    Participant
    How would you handle rude vulgar people at swimming pool?

Click to expand…

I would have asked them to turn down the music and stop throwing the baseball, but in a relaxed manner, as though I was talking to reasonable people who didn’t realize they were offending or scaring others. They might comply. If not, I’d ask the community authorities to take over.

I definitely wouldn’t get into a fist fight over something like this.

what’s the millennial dig?

Click to expand…

As a boomer, yea, why the millennial dig?

not finance related….

Click to expand…

Personally, I’m interested in non-finance posts, but I was more interested in the sperm donor post that was shut down immediately for being off-topic. What gives?

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#227626 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Personally, I’m interested in non-finance posts

Click to expand…

I agree. I enjoy the non-finance related posts, too.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#227627 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, childay, CM
    CM CM 
    Participant
    Remember the bar scene from A Bronx Tale?

Click to expand…

Now youse can’t leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_lijLYuw-o

(In case you haven’t seen it.)

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#227629 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

There was a point in time I would have confronted them. Now, I would just leave and notify security etc. Too many crazy people with guns and short tempers out there. Just not worth it.

Participant

And almost every topic is financial at the end of the day.

Imagine the headline: rich doc comes to blows with 20 somethings just trying to have a good time, 20 something ends up at the bottom of the pool with a broken neck. How big is your umbrella policy? How is that jail time going to affect your retirement plan? Just. Not. Worth. It.

#227633 Reply
    Liked by PhotonsRGR8, Ykcor
    Participant

There was a point in time I would have confronted them. Now, I would just leave and notify security etc. Too many crazy people with guns and short tempers out there. Just not worth it.

Click to expand…

Yep. I asked someone at our (upscale) gym to please not play vulgar music out loud on his cell phone, and he nearly hit me. Too many crazies in the world, and someone else is paid to confront them, not me.

#227637 Reply

Reply To: How would you handle rude vulgar people at swimming pool?

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear