Menu

How to think about taxes in early retirement

Home General Investing How to think about taxes in early retirement

• ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Just don’t die there.

#197741 Reply
    Participant

I stress over similar questions. But I can’t help but find humor in the “should I move to a no income tax state” idea.

As 93% of my investment portfolio is in tax-deferred retirement accounts, I am moving TO Pennsylvania, because of family, the lower cost of living than NYC metro where I am now, and importantly, no state taxes on retirement account distributions or social security!

Click to expand…

PA is indeed a great state to move to for retirement purposes for the reason you list, but yeah you don’t want to die there…it’s one of a few states that has an inheritance tax. Any states in yellow or green here are bad states to die in but I’d argue green is worse than yellow:

https://taxfoundation.org/does-your-state-have-estate-or-inheritance-tax. If you want to stay in the northeast, although it’s admittedly not that close to the NYC metro, you want to be in New Hampshire.

#197746 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Participant

I may end up paying the Divine Surcharge 😁

#197782 Reply
    Participant

Antares, at what age do you plan to stop working?  Are you planning Roth conversions?

#197807 Reply
    Participant

Antares, at what age do you plan to stop working?  Are you planning Roth conversions?

Click to expand…

I’m 60, aiming for 65. And at 93% in tax-deferred, due in part to being in a two-physician couple both making 25% solo 401K contributions for many years, there’s not much available to convert with…

#197907 Reply

Reply To: How to think about taxes in early retirement

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear