Menu

How to fit practice real estate into AA

Home Real Estate Investing How to fit practice real estate into AA

Participant

This may be a somewhat pedestrian question. Our practice has a real estate arm that is separate from the medical side, although included in the buy-in. I financed the buy-in amount, paying on it and looking at it much like a mortgage. I’m pretty sure this is the first time I’ve borrowed money for a presumably appreciating asset outside of our homes. How do I account for this on my asset allocation? Do I just count the equity that I am building up through payments, and watch the “real estate” slice of my AA pie grow? There are not routine distributions from this, so essentially it doesn’t cash-flow enough to be a wash on a month-to-month basis, but long-term the buy-out amount (and buy-in by default) has only gone up. This seems on the surface much like those of you that crowd-fund (or whatever the term is) real estate purchases with larger groups.

Or do I just not really worry about it?

#215782 Reply
    Participant
    Do I just count the equity that I am building up through payments

Click to expand…

that’s what I do, net equity.

Click to expand…

but there is something to be said for this.

#215788 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Humm, how much is it worth? ((Fair market value x your share) – loan balance)? or are there terms in the agreement that set the exit price (really a structured investment secured by real estate that FMV doesn’t impact your exit price)?

What are you using the AA for? If its adjusting portfolio allocations that’s kind of silly because you won’t change anything. Use whatever you like consistently. It’s like your house, ultimately it has value but it is so locked in that worrying about it doesn’t really change anything.

#215793 Reply
    Participant

Ignore it. Great screen name. I assume you’re ortho. Just pretend it doesn’t exist. Maybe one day when you retire it’ll pay off for you, and that’s bonus money, but I wouldn’t adjust my AA based on that. Maybe you could justify being underweight REITs but those pay distributions. I vote to ignore it fully for AA and use in net worth only equity (cost minus payments) and not adjust for potential appreciation. But it’s your money. Do as you see fit. 👍🏻

#215813 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I’d probably forget about it and treat it like a bonus when the time comes to cash out.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#215859 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Hank
    Participant

@tim, exit/cashing out would be the former, (fmv x share)-loan balance. I like the simplicity of the ignore it strategy.

Would most attack this with same fervor that school loans are? Assume slightly smaller principal amount with tad higher rate, ~5 and change.

#220789 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I would view it more as a “practice buyin debt”. Total for practice + ancillary. Philosophically, not student loan and not residence. When do you want your partnership income debt free! Assumption, it’s not a 15/30 yr mortgage.

#220836 Reply

Reply To: How to fit practice real estate into AA

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear