Menu

How to address NPs and PAs in letters

Home The Lounge How to address NPs and PAs in letters

• ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Curious how others have their form letters addressed to referring NPs or PAs. Any proper etiquette on this?

Dear Bill,

Dear NP Smith

Dear Bill Smith

Dear Nurse Smith

?

#233613 Reply
    Participant

Bill or Mr Smith. If it’s an rn would you write nurse Smith? I would probably just do Mr or their name. I don’t think this is different.

#233615 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

And if it’s a female – Mrs? Ms? What if you aren’t sure (plenty of names used by both male and females)?

I’m seeking the most appropriate and least potentially embarrassing way of addressing the letters. Other partners have it go out with the standard Dr. X, which I think is silly.

#233619 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

First name or Mr./Mrs. Lastname. If you aren’t sure of the gender then go with first name.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#233620 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Mr/Ms/Mrs

#233621 Reply
    Liked by FIREshrink
    Participant

Pretty sure very soon it will be “Mx” just like I’ve seen it referred for “Latinx”.
    A quick google search on my gut feeling found that indeed, Mx is already being used. http://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/mx-a-new-gender-neutral-title

#233650 Reply
    Participant

I go first name.. then just end it with my first name only.

I Always thank them or say good catch. Tell them to call or text if anything comes up and I put my cell in there. . Love my mid levels. They keep me a float.

#233660 Reply
    Participant

If it is a formal letter, then I would put:

John Smith PA-C

1234 First Ave

Your Town, XX 98247

Re: Patient name

Dear John,

Thank you for referring your pleasant patient, Patient name,…..

Formal in the top part, casual in the area of addressing them…. and you don’t have to work about the gender they are identifying as!

#233664 Reply
    Participant

Pretty sure very soon it will be “Mx” just like I’ve seen it referred for “Latinx”.
    A quick google search on my gut feeling found that indeed, Mx is already being used. http://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/mx-a-new-gender-neutral-title

Click to expand…

Even though I reject most of this gender neutral nonsense, I kind of like the Mx idea. I’d never heard of it before. The Mrs. or Mr. annoy me because many people don’t abbreviate them. Or they use Ms with a period, violating common usage possibly in a nod to the period required after Mr. or Mrs.; or they use Ms without a period, violating the formal rules as defined by the grammar police. Or they use Ms for a married woman, or worse, Mrs. for unmarried women. Or just use Mrs. for everyone because they can’t be bothered to learn the rules. Or they put a period after Miss, JUST BECAUSE. And no one knows how to pluralize any of these salutations, so you get a whole mess of Messrs. and Mmes. with and without periods, with extra vowels or missing consonants, and what the hell is the plural abbreviation of Ms anyway? Then just try to get people to pronounce Messrs. or Mmes. correctly.

Forgetaboutit! I like Mx. For everyone/every situation. Nice idea.

#233665 Reply
    TrumpMD TrumpMD 
    Participant

I use first name in messages on EPIC.

If I had to write a more formal letter I would write NP Smith or PA Smith.

I don’t use Mr or Ms.  It doesn’t sound like they belong in healthcare correspondence.  I would use Nurse Smith in a letter.  Similarly I use NP/PA/Nurse Smith when asking for people on the phone.

"Tax loss harvesting": buy high and sell low to achieve true wealth

#233668 Reply
    Participant

And if it’s a female – Mrs? Ms? What if you aren’t sure (plenty of names used by both male and females)?

I’m seeking the most appropriate and least potentially embarrassing way of addressing the letters. Other partners have it go out with the standard Dr. X, which I think is silly.

Click to expand…

I agree that you shouldn’t do Dr. X.

For females, I greatly prefer being addressed as Ms. X in more informal settings when people either don’t know that I’m Dr. X for 3 reasons. 1) The person isn’t assuming that I’m married, 2) I don’t feel like my identity is tied to being married or not, 3) My husband and I have different last names. I think Ms. is the safe way.

If not sure male vs female, would you be able to look the person up? Most practices have photos of their staff. If they are in a big healthcare system, it is pretty easy to search on the “findadoc” or whatever page. Most seem to have gender listed as some patients prefer particular genders, especially in regards to gyne care. Might be worthwhile for the people you get frequent referrals from.

#233681 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Anne, NaOH
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant
    If I had to write a more formal letter I would write NP Smith or PA Smith.

Click to expand…

This is what I had started to do, but it looks strange.  Doesn’t look like there is any consensus here.  Even nurses don’t know the answer:

https://allnurses.com/proper-salutation-np-t336434/

Addressing someone as NP Smith or PA Smith avoids the whole gender confusion stuff and makes letter formatting faster for my secretary.  Though most, it seems, want to be called by their first name or Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss Smith.

NPs/PAs need to clear this one up for physicians via their national bodies, at least as it pertains to formal correspondence for the medical record/insurance.

#233684 Reply
    Participant

“Howdy:” or “Occupant:” ?

#233686 Reply
    Liked by CordMcNally
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

First and last name followed by NP or PA-C or MD, DO

Avoid the whole gender thing.

No matter which way you do it though you will find a way to upset someone.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#233727 Reply
    Participant

We had a primary care clinician in our system with a DNP (Doctor of Nurse Practitioner) degree.  He requests to be addressed as “Dr.” Smith. That’s a mind bender for me.

#233733 Reply

Reply To: How to address NPs and PAs in letters

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear