Menu

How much to tip?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting How much to tip?

Participant

I tip at the end of a hotel stay. It is usually the same maid. If it is not they split it accordingly. I have some hotel background experience. If a maid is not splitting the tips as she should her co-workers usually find out.

No I do not tip the landscapers. Can’t tip everyone. How many landscapers are there? Which ones impacted my stay?
    I see your argument and I don’t really have a better answer then that is just the way it is.

Click to expand…

Let me preface this by saying that you’re definitely a better person than I am as I don’t regularly tip maids at hotels.

Here’s a couple things I don’t quite get.

1. It’s usually the same maid, but it’s definitely not uncommon to have different people over the course of the entire stay.  In fact, in a stay of over 4 days, I’d be a little surprised if it were the same person each day.

2. How could the co workers possibly find out if someone is not splitting tips or just holding some back?  If someone wanted to hide that, it would be literally impossible to detect.

#230228 Reply
    Participant

You guys must carry a lot of small bills around. I never spend cash and can only withdraw 20’s from the ATM so I don’t know how to tip hotel maids unless I ask for their Venmo. I mostly stay at airbnb’s anyway.

Click to expand…

In my case, I purposefully bring a lot of 5’s and 1’s along when I travel. In the US, I’m pretty loyal to Southwest and the baggage checkers visibly appreciate tips. Same for the guys at the Parking Spot where I park instead of the airport lot. Especially for the housekeepers, many of whom don’t speak English and I believe (my assumption, sorry if this offends) may be non-citizens and struggling to support a family.

Certainly no criticism meant to @lithium, as I agree that cash is a hassle to think about and requires advance planning. I recently had to buy a “gourmet cookie” at the airport I had no plan to eat just to break a large bill for tips. Fortunately, the Bobfather enjoys sweet treats.

Click to expand…

At least a couple of airports I’ve been to have some sort of sign with a recommended tip for the curbside baggage checkers.   I wish that sort of thing was more commonplace.

I almost never use those guys, though. I just check the bags inside.

#230231 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I am sure they are not completely honest with how much the person tipped but if you coworker keeps complaining of the cheapos not tipping when it is time to even up they will figure it out.

I am sure it is different at different places but in my experience maids take the same rooms as much as possible.

Just like some people were waiters in a past life and tip well after a meal because they remember the game. Hotel business was my past life.

I am sure I am no better then you but I do have a strong preference for tipping. I do not think it is a contest.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#230241 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

What did you do in the hotel business

#230246 Reply
    Participant

So how do you even leave money out for a tip? I’m certain I’ve left cash out in hotels and it hasn’t been taken. I never realized tipping hotel maids was a thing.

#230249 Reply
    Liked by CordMcNally
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

This is why I always just tip on credit cards if I have the option.  If that doesn’t help anyone facilitate tax evasion, that isn’t my concern.  But I will get some reward points and won’t have to tip based on whatever denominations are in my wallet.  Maybe for the hotel maids you can leave the money at the front desk and instruct it to be split.

#230257 Reply
    Participant

This is why I always just tip on credit cards if I have the option.  If that doesn’t help anyone facilitate tax evasion, that isn’t my concern.  But I will get some reward points and won’t have to tip based on whatever denominations are in my wallet.  Maybe for the hotel maids you can leave the money at the front desk and instruct it to be split.

Click to expand…

LOL this isn’t rocket science leave some money on the table in the hotel room. Leaving it with the front desk sounds like a good way for the money never to make it to the destination.

#230263 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Click to expand…

LOL this isn’t rocket science leave some money on the table in the hotel room. Leaving it with the front desk sounds like a good way for the money never to make it to the destination.

Click to expand…

That works if you have the same maid every day.  It’s a real pain if you have different maids and you don’t carry a bunch of 1’s and 5’s around.

#230265 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

That’s our biggest issue with tipping…we don’t hardly ever carry cash. If I happen to come upon actual paper money I’ll usually just give it to my wife as I could go 6 months lugging around the same $5 bill.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#230284 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

We ate lunch at a place today that had a straight 20% service charge instead of a tip. The fine print made it clear the service charge went to the company in lieu of paying its workers a “living wage” (I despise of that term) along with benefits. That was the first time I’d been to a place like that but the service was slow and generally awful. The place gets good reviews so hopefully it was just an off day.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#230404 Reply
    Participant

I never have them clean my room mid-stay. I’m not fancy but I always travel with jewelry. Peace of mind, those safes are useless. I’m not going to tip for a room they haven’t serviced during my stay but maybe I’m just stingy.

Not sure what I would have done in the OP’s situation, probably 15%. As far as regular dining, once in a blue moon I tip under 20% for bad service. Great service, more. I’m at the point now where my favorite bartenders rarely charge me full price (I usually prefer to eat at the bar) so whatever they leave off the bill I add to their tip.

It has always irked me when you go out with people who undertip. I waited tables, that cash matters.

#230424 Reply
    Liked by octopus85
    Participant

The bartenders are stealing from the restaurant owners if they are not charging you full price and you are tipping the difference off what they are charging you.  I wouldn’t be rewarding that type of behavior.   I read an article stating that only 30% of people report tipping hotel maids, so I think that it is not that uncommon not to be tipping hotel maids.

#230425 Reply
    Participant

Save your sense of injustice for something that matters.

#230436 Reply
    Participant

The bartenders are stealing from the restaurant owners if they are not charging you full price and you are tipping the difference off what they are charging you.  I wouldn’t be rewarding that type of behavior.   I read an article stating that only 30% of people report tipping hotel maids, so I think that it is not that uncommon not to be tipping hotel maids.

Click to expand…

I think there’s all sorts of stuff like that going on in the restaurant industry especially with bartenders. It’s probably a wash since the bartender gets more tips, the customer is happy and returns so the owner gets return business. All good.

#230441 Reply
    Participant

“Save your sense of injustice for something that matters.”

Shortage is one of the largest problems in the bar/food service sector. Yes, it’s not dine & dash, it’s employee based. For an owner, it’s death by a thousand cuts.
    Termination is the minimum, most likely civil and criminal if it’s documented. It’s not a moral decision, just business.

#230447 Reply
    Liked by Craigy

Reply To: How much to tip?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear